MM3 mod for PS1 has been a hassle.

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Dragonslayer182, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Dragonslayer182

Dragonslayer182 Rapidly Rising Member

I recently bought a PS1 SCPH-1001 along with an MM3 modchip. After soldering in the modchip, I tried to play some backups, only to be met with much frustration. Some of the burned games stayed at the black PS1 logo screen, while others just went to the PS1's Memory card/CD player screen. Legit copies read fine, as well as music CD's made using the same CD's as the backups, albiet the first few tracks skip. Later tracks run seamlessly, however. I've tried different write speeds, different versions of the disc image files, and different games. Nothing works. I've also tried shortening the wires and checking my connections. Still nothing. At this point, I'm considering just buying a Gameshark and using Unirom.

2. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

hi slayer , try letting the PS1 boot to bios menu screen then put in a burned game and close the lid. It should then boot the game , i get 11 out of 11 successful loads with this method.

[​IMG]

3. Dragonslayer182

Seems like I'm getting the same results as before. Some stay at the black PS1 screen, and others stay on the CD/Memory card screen. Also, what model PS1 do you have? I've never seen a menu like that one before.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Sounds like laser is strugging to read the discs.

Bad burns, poor quality discs or laser is on its way out.

5. Dragonslayer182

I don't think it's that. Like I said, legit games and music CD's read just fine. Music CD's are made using the same software and CD's as the backups.

6. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

What cd's are u using?

@Bad_Ad84 is it possible the MM3 has a bad OSCAL value, can Mayumi be used instead?

7. Dragonslayer182

RiDATA 52x "Silver-Silver"

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You said your audio cds skip.... which are on CDRs. Sign of a failing drive is originals working and backups not, especially poorer quality (or ones you burner doesnt handle well - burning good quality burns is not as straight forward as most make out). This is a massive sign of the issue, if the CDs and or drive were OK - they wouldnt skip.....

If the chip is installed, then legit games boot via the chip too. So the fact originals work, should prove the chip is OK. Best way to prove it is try an original out of region game.

9. Dragonslayer182

Don't have any, unfortunately. I'll try ordering a new laser, though. What laser should I get?

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You want one out of a PSone really. Any you can order are chinese copies.

11. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

slayer have you tried turning the PS1 upside down and booting a backup game ?.

12. Dragonslayer182

I'm guessing the chinese copies aren't any good?

And yes, I've tried it sideways and upside down to no avail.

13. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

this could be the culprit , what burner do you have ? what burn software are you using and where did you get your RiDATA's from.....please not ebay

14. Dragonslayer182

Using ImgBurn, and the discs are from Amazon I believe.

15. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

I've read that Ridata aren't great. Get Taiyo Yuden and use a decent quality burner.

Traace and s8n like this.
  16. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

i prefer Nero to ImgBurn as when i did 'scans' after burning a disc i got more C1/C2 errors with ImgBurn , so use Nero from here on. Also some retailers sell fake media made in China. Doing a quick google and check on Amazon i couldn't find 'shipped and sold by Amazon' for the media your using. You may have RiDATA from a 3rd party seller on Amazon.

Burner is also very important i've had a few Pioneers and they were trash , so i did some research on ClubmyCE forums and i use certain model Liteons.

Taijigamer2 likes this.
  17. Dragonslayer182

18. Dragonslayer182

Is there any other burning software you can reccommend? Nero is being a complete PITA for me.

19. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

try DiscJuggler slayer

20. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

if you manage to burn a game with DJ and it still doesn't work in your PS1 it's probably best you do the following..............

from here i would go with getting a good foundation for good burns.

1. go to ClubMyCE forums and ask for some suggestions for a good burner that burns CD-R/DVD-R well and also accurately scans with Nero CD-DVD Speed

2. get Taiyo Yuden CD-R's from a reputable source like SuperMediaStore

3. when you get those 2 items , burn a game with Nero and test on your PS1. For best results you can burn a game and 'scan' it with Nero CD-DVD Speed , i burn at different speeds then scan. Whatever comes out with the least C1/C2 errors that is the optimal burn speed for that media/drive.

i know it's frustrating but it's the best way to go for good burns

Taijigamer2 likes this.