Miny Arcade Cabinet: 21cm height, Raspberry Pi, 5" screen and controls

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by TheRealPhoenix, Aug 17, 2017.

1. TheRealPhoenix

TheRealPhoenix Spoken Language: French & English

Hey guys!
    I finished a small arcade cabinet last month. I forgot to post it here. :) People on Shoryuken forums have already seen it.

The goal was to make for a friend a real small arcade cabinet, small enought to be like those https://www.amazon.com/Arcade-Machine-Handheld-Gaming-Electronic-Game/dp/B00S4HI1NY but with real arcade games, but with the flexibility of being used more seriously on a screen like a console.

Project stuck a long time, but really started when I got my 3D printer.
    The cabinet has:
    - a RapsberryPi 2 (but a 3 will fit too) running on Recalbox
    - a 5" TFT screen + HDMI driver
    - a HDMI splitter
    - Mono Sound + volume control, and a jack sense (plug a headset and internal sound will be cut off)
    - Full controls (joystick + 6 buttons + start/select/hk)

My HDMI output on my custom board has an issue (I got an out of synch at 480p, but not à 1080p) so I need to debug it. Eventually I'll make a Rev 2 with différents/better parts.

Here's the video about it.

Some pics of the final product:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Full build gallerie is available here:
    http://imgur.com/a/c5sIK

2. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

Nice, I want to do that, but for a dedicated vertical shmup station.

3. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member

Very nice build, great informative video, well done!

4. TheRealPhoenix

Thanks guys!

If you're doing a similar build with a turned screen, you'll have to "rotate" the screen in the configuration file of recalbox (or retropie).

5. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

Nice build. I've wanted to look into building a bartop arcade unit to plug in some of my jamma boards on (because due to age and space, I can't quite keep my old candy cabinet in my condo, so it sits in storage).

Hows the novelty when playing on it over time, is it still fun or does it wear thin quickly? I'm kind of worried that after I go out of my way to build one, i'll get bored of it too quickly.

6. TheRealPhoenix

Thanks.
    Well I did it for someone. The goal was to make a cool object to be put on a desk or on a shelf, and be playable. Of course if you want longer session it supposed to be plugged on a TV with some controllers.
    From what he said, the 5" screen is surprisingly comfortable enought to play. Even the stick which I found awful is OK for him. However the buttons are way to stiff, and it's tiring for longplay. But he like to come back time to time for playing Final Fight.

7. subbie

Thanks for the impressions. Btw, how much did the whole thing cost you to make?

8. TheRealPhoenix

Something around 200$ USD without the Pi.
    But it's possible to reduce de price: the screen + driver from Adafruit cost themselves more than 60$, laser cut costs 30$ because I made only one. I found the same screen on Aliexpress for way cheaper, Adafruit give the driver's Eagle file on their website, and if I order 30pcs of laser cut to same local place the price get down at 10$ pcs.
    I've already a replacement for the stick (better, cheaper) and I think I'm going to use rubber contacts for the buttons (like inside a gamepad), which should reduce a few $$$, etc..

9. subbie

Not bad price really if you think about it. A lot of these kits fall north of $200.

10. TheRealPhoenix

Yes but this is what it costs to me. I'm not making any profit and I didn't count the labor. A retail cost will be more expensive.

11. subbie

No I understand. Your cost will also start to come down a bit when you do bigger batches in bulk for parts and items. I've been looking at some kits were even just the wood lazercut for you is $100 (pre shipping) and their display $100 on top of that. =(

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  12. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Check on eBay because I recently saw bar top MDF kits for $65 shipped