Mini OPL with Playstation 2 boot logo support?

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by cde, Oct 5, 2017.

1. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

Is it possible to compile a version of mini OPL to support the decrpted PS2 boot logo for HDD OSD installed games? It has been implemented in some beta versions of the full OPL, and works ok, I would love to see it implemented at some point.. ;)

MrMario2011 likes this.
  2. psydefx

psydefx Peppy Member

wow didnt know opl revisions had this. neat

3. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Yeah, should be definitely possible.

I had something similar implemented in HDLGameInstaller betas back in 2011, but it was never used outside because one needed a custom installation tool for that. The new implementation doesn't have this restriction, so it should be better.

cde likes this.
  4. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

Very interesting, Did the beta HDLGameinstaller implement the logo directly, ie. generate then display a PS2 logo itself? Or did the game images have to have decrypted and correct region logos inserted in them?

I realise that the logos are copyright, but is sure would make for a cannon look when booting from HDDOSD.. ;)

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

All valid games do have the PlayStation 2 logo stored within the first 12 sectors of the disc. This logo is encrypted with the disc's ID and the PAL logo has a different resolution from the NTSC logo.
    This is possibly also used as a form of region-locking & copy protection, as some newer consoles will bail out if PS2LOGO does not find a correct logo.

So how the old HDLGameInstaller implementation worked, was that it would decrypt the logo during installation and mini OPL would boot PS2LOGO. Since the logo is already decrypted, CDVDMAN only had to have dummy functions implemented for the data-decryption functionality, and PS2LOGO would end up reading the decrypted logo as it was.

The new implementation within OPL has a very short implementation for actually decrypting the logo. My original version was based off the code in PCSX2, which was quite a bit longer.

6. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

BTW it will be cool to implement that main opl fully replaced miniopl. So main opl.elf automatically understand that it is booted from partition 4mb area and then automatically boots the game. I was trying to implement such a function but confused in passing boot arguments (opl code isnt that easy for newbies).

cde likes this.
  7. NeC5552

NeC5552 All your skullz are belong to us.

I do have one question about this - how does the Matrix Infinity / Modbo chip alter the PS2LOGO so that it shows the "MATRIX" and Infinity v1.93 (or 1.99) in the lower part of the logo? Or for instance how does it alter the PS2LOGO so that when a homebrew disc (i.e SNES emulator) is inserted it will show "MATRIX" followed by "Infinity 1.93"?

8. Otello

Otello Member

Only Matrix Team knows it, because the source code is not public. :D Somewhere after the PS2LOGO decryption process it adds own bitmap. You could add an own logo during the update process.

You have to add manually the logo on the homebrew discs, or master the image on CDVDGEN to have a logo inserted. Otherwise it will show you the black screen during the boot.

Also, Infinity patches the PS2LOGO to accept logos from the other region, as PAL and NTSC ones have got different dimensions. In nearly all JPN consoles and late FAT USA and EUR consoles this additional check is present.

sp193 likes this.
  9. Ticky

Ticky Newly Registered

I’d love to see this feature in HDLGameInstaller. It’d just make an already wonderfully native feeling setup feel even moreso

10. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

I use Open PS2 Loader , but I've never heard of 'mini OPL', what is it, please?

And are you asking if you can make it boot up with the PS2 logo whenever a game loads? That would make it feel more authentic.

11. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

A GUI-less version of OPL, meant to be used with HDDOSD (makes your games bootable from it).

12. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

13. Order-Sol

Order-Sol Member

When will we have this version implemented by HDLGameInstaller?

14. fanhais

fanhais Member

is hard to tell when we will have this version of custom ps2 logo implemented by HDLGI