MIL-CD (Legitimate Music) Exploration and Research. Need your help!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Mrneo240, May 9, 2018.

1. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

hello!

welcome to yet another probably never ending thread with a neat experiment.This time the goal is creation of new and custom mil-cds compatible with hardware/emulators.

Ill info dump in this thread over the coming days but for now, its basically a huge pain in the ass and i dont know why.

Maybe im missing something? but seriously trying to unpack then repack a mil-cd and have it boot is damn near impossible.

Choice of music isn't reflective of personal taste but rather due to the ease of porting from an enhanced (CD-EXTRA) to dreamcast Mil-CD.

My call to action is two-fold:
    • Sourcing dumps of the retail/legit mil-cds (i have space channel 5 promo, looking for others)
      • either from previously made dumps (filenames available on request, unless its cool i post them here)
      • coordinating dumping them with you (standard disc juggler should work (i think?))
    • Can anyone else manage to get a repacked mil-cd to boot? (emulators definitely count!)

Pictures of progress as always:
    IN_THE_END.png IN_THE_END2.png

Minor info:
    • mil-cd is meant to live on a cd
    • has an IP.BIN like anything else, but oddly specifies media as MIL CD/2
    • the creation tool from CRI is not available in any SDK leak (at least that i could find)
      • Specified as "CRI MIL CRAFT VER.1.03"
      • Any tools or info about creating a mil-cd would be HUGE
    • 1MILSFD.BIN is the main binary and is scrambled on the disc.
    • LBA is obviously dependent on the length of the audio tracks, yet binary is aligned to 45000
    • theres a lot of funky padding going on and i havent been able to completely mirror it
    • Can anyone get a build environment that builds mkisofs from cdrtools on win32? (Custom tool needed to pull this off without doing things manually)

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    LuizNai, americandad, fafadou and 4 others like this.
  2. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Ok so as it stands today i have been given/found from various sources all of the "official" Mil-CD dumps (disc juggler cdi)
    and generously been given a new dump of the Space Channel 5 one from a fellow redditor (thank you!)

This is huge news because at minimum there exists multiple version of the disc software
    • 1.04 - Kita He
    • 1.05 - Snappers
    • 1.06 - dps
    • 1.07 - Checkicco, Hang the DJ
    • 1.08 - Space Channel 5, D no Shokutaku 2, Himitsu
    Even though only 8 discs were ever released theres multiple versions.

other thoughts:
    hang the dj is noted as "MJCYX-80002" in the IP.BIN
    Snappers - 09 Chairs is noted as "09CHAIRES" in IP.BIN

Quick Notes:
    Code:
    checkicco - 4 tracks@17min, 458 mb data
    d no - 2 tracks@11min, 487mb data
    dps- 4 tracks@17min, 187mb (187000 kb exactly. strange) (total disc length 41:05, 184900 blocks)
    hang - 3 tracks@20min, 427mb data
    himitsu - 14 tracks@41min, 233mb data
    kita he - 11 tracks@ 48min, 97mb data (total disc length 61:37, 277326 blocks)
    snappers - 12 tracks@45min, 204mb
    space channel - 2 tracks@8min, 225mb (total disc length 36:04)

if not noted, disc length is close to 70min aka a standard cd.
    Video Notes:
    Code:
    checkicco - 41 video tracks, ver 1.07
    d no - 2 video tracks, ver 1.08
    dps - 1 video, ver 1.06
    hang - 2 video tracks, ver 1.07
    himitsu - 1 video, ver 1.08
    kite he - 1 video, ver 1.04
    snappers - 2 video tracks, ver 1.05
    space channel - 1 video, ver 1.08

LuizNai, Anthony817 and pool7 like this.
  3. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

what does the "internet" option do?

LuizNai likes this.
  4. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Opens a menu with a bunch of Japanese menus about connecting to a website with additional info. I have zero idea how to navigate it. I can throw up some screens later.

It's a special version of dreampassport with a unique license.

In typing that out I also wonder if you could replace the dreampassport app to run code.

LuizNai and TerdFerguson like this.
  5. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

might be worth a shot to try replacing the assets from XDP so some of the menus are in english. but if it is a special version this might not work

considering dreampassport 3 and premier versions had digital distribution for mega drive and pc engine games with emulators for both built in, who knows what's on there that nobody bothered to document

edit: is dreampassport its own binary or is it built-in to the mil-cd bin?

6. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Separate binary, I've never used dream passport but it looks very confusing.i wasnt able to get past the modem config stuff .(I think)

7. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

does it have html and image assets like xdp\pw etc? if it does can you send a zip of binary and everything?

would be interesting to see if the browser bin has the same level of protections as the cd bin

edit: i'll take the browser stuff to discord so i don't destroy this thread lol

LuizNai likes this.
  8. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Yes, which one would you like it from? I haven't dug into the browser at all so I'm not sure if there's differences.

It's a super minimal set of data along with it. Mostly just rows and rows and rows of Japanese.

Also discord?!?!??

Attached Files:

• data.7z
      File size:
      3.2 MB
      Views:
    LuizNai likes this.
  9. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

there's only two html pages, DPHP.HTM and MLHP.HTM

both only have two lines of html

DPHP.HTM:
    Code:
    <BODY BACKGROUND=dphpbg.gif>
    <EMBED TYPE=application/x-dream-passport-homepage WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0>

MLHP.HTM:
    Code:
    <BODY BACKGROUND=dphpbg.gif>
    <EMBED TYPE=application/x-mil-passport-homepage WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0>

so these are two different applications or custom compiled code

the "steam like" megadrive service was also a custom program launched with an "x-avefront://" command. but it looks like the application is being embedded "locally" from the disc

but there's no other html html, the only other files are extensionless files of japanese plaintext, PVR textures, the sound driver, license.txt, the other few are seemingly compiled binary data of some sort with no plaintext strings from what i could see. there were two files with an extension i've never seen before in a dc disc "RG20.DAD" and "RG24.DAD", the other file is "WEB_SE.MLT"

license.txt translated from japanese by google
    there's a chance there's some really cool stuff in here, especially whatever the "service" they're describing in the license.txt is

10. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

That's the music data for sound driver.

11. Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives Rapidly Rising Member

Games that use DSF should have MANATEE.DRV, as well as MLT files to hold the actual DSF files for sound effects and/or sequenced music. For a browser, I'd expect the MLT archives to contain the former.

LuizNai and fafadou like this.
  12. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

It's in the file name WEB_SE. Web sound effects.

13. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

As requested by some people heres an entire in order album of images from the MIL Passport browser
    [GALLERY=media, 2678]GpuDX11hw _ Spg_ 60 Gpu_ 30 _ HEARTBREAK_DIARY 5_10_2018 10_39_18 PM by Mrneo240 posted May 10, 2018 at 10:48 PM[/GALLERY]
    [GALLERY=media, 2683]GpuDX11hw _ Spg_ 60 Gpu_ 30 _ HEARTBREAK_DIARY 5_10_2018 10_41_54 PM by Mrneo240 posted May 10, 2018 at 10:48 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 2679]GpuDX11hw _ Spg_ 60 Gpu_ 30 _ HEARTBREAK_DIARY 5_10_2018 10_41_08 PM by Mrneo240 posted May 10, 2018 at 10:48 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 2680]GpuDX11hw _ Spg_ 60 Gpu_ 30 _ HEARTBREAK_DIARY 5_10_2018 10_41_16 PM by Mrneo240 posted May 10, 2018 at 10:48 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 2684]GpuDX11hw _ Spg_ 60 Gpu_ 30 _ HEARTBREAK_DIARY 5_10_2018 10_42_03 PM by Mrneo240 posted May 10, 2018 at 10:48 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 2685]GpuDX11hw _ Spg_ 60 Gpu_ 30 _ HEARTBREAK_DIARY 5_10_2018 10_45_41 PM by Mrneo240 posted May 10, 2018 at 10:48 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 2682]GpuDX11hw _ Spg_ 60 Gpu_ 30 _ HEARTBREAK_DIARY 5_10_2018 10_41_37 PM by Mrneo240 posted May 10, 2018 at 10:48 PM[/GALLERY]

LuizNai and fafadou like this.
  14. lerabot

lerabot Active Member

Wow I love the GUI on these asian app :D

Mrneo240 likes this.
  15. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

So in case you're following along at home...
    It's not simple to replace and make a working MIL-CD.
    I forgot how I made the Lincoln Park one (I really really need help with figuring out to rip audio from a cdi and then be able to re-use it, it works but I think I just blindly cut the files to make it work. There has to be a correct way)

In trying on ver1.05 it's the same issues, there is so much weird security it's a pain in the ass.

The LBAs have to match exactly with is impossible with mkisofs so I don't really have public progress until I can get a custom version of mkisofs made specifically for MIL-CDs.

There is only utility that I was able to re-purpose ( found a similar piece of software, added a couple things for this and voila) that is a stopgap in the meantime. So I can use that for making them but it's not simple enough to give to you guys.

I'm heading to Berlin for 2 weeks so I won't be touching any dreamcast anything for a bit.

I challenge you to try and get the MIL-CD software working in a repacked disc image (CDI, mds, dreamshell)

I'll get something uploaded tonight so you don't have to find an image yourself (no music included, just the raw files).

Please please try to analyze this or take a stab at selfbooting it. I have come up completely empty.

16. Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives Rapidly Rising Member

If you need a specific LBA, either create a dummy file to pad the data track so the binary starts at the correct LBA, or patch the binary's copy protection to check for the LBA of your choice, rather than the original value.

17. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

not to be rude but yea we are way past that.
    • lba of the binary is 45000 in every case
    • you cant rebuild a data session to match because of mkisofs's limitations (aka advertising and extra junk)
    to be fair though, i havent taken either binary into a dissasembler and had a look at things. mainly just trying to massage things into place without doing that yet. but its looking like thats the only option.

also 2MILSFD.BIN is weird and i cant actually get it into a normal binary.

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Please explain what you'd need to do to rebuild the data session that mkisofs can't do.

19. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

A custom version of mkisofs that excludes 2 sectors at the start of the data session. As it stands 1 sector is used for advertising and the second is just a waste.

If mkisofs was rebuilt excluding those a data session could be rebuilt that would match exactly for each LBA. As it stands I'm close, but I'm +2 for everything for those reasons.

As a stop gap I guess I could build 2 images and then merge them (taking pvd from one then combining with actual data from the second) but that's not "simple" for everyone to use.

20. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

To see what I mean, build an iso with:
    • 1 file in root
    • 1 folder
      • 1 file in that folder

Check the LBAs of everything versus the start of the data session, then open it in a hex editor and observe at sectors 16-18