Megadrive SVP games

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by StarWolf, Dec 3, 2005.

1. drx

drx Guest

Could you ellaborate some more on the Amiga Sonic 1? Never heard of it. When it was released and by who? What are the differences between the Megadrive one?

2. HXC

HXC Guest

Sounds like a fan-made game to me. No Sonic game was ever made for an amiga...

3. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

No, believe me is real, SEGA wanted to release it in europe.

Just give me a day or 2 until I find the mag.

Also give thanks I got a new scanner yesterday:dance:

4. drx

drx Guest

any news on that?

5. LocalH

LocalH Guest

From what I understand, Sega at one point was also going to do some sort of Sonic game for the C64. Here's all the information I know about this one. I hadn't heard about an actual official Amiga version, although there is a mini-"game" available as the hidden part of the Amiga music collection Sonic Attack by Dual Crew Shining. It's a four disk collection, and the game is reached by simply booting with the fourth disk. It's quite limited, but it's nonetheless somewhat interesting (and the music is pretty good).

6. Shadowlayer

K I'm still looking for the mag, anyways, the game looks like a perfect port, but with meager graphics. The color seamed like washed out, but not that bad as nes or SMS palletes.

7. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

Would you happen to know what magazine type this was? I might have a reference who has a few Sega mags laying around.

...and welcome back! :smashed:

8. Shadowlayer

It was a spanish magazine my cousin bought in barcelona, it was pretty good (even when at the time I couldnt read it) and it had an entire section devoted to the amiga.

They even had some photos of a kick ass wipeout clone for the amiga.

And thx, I had problems with my system so thats why I havent been around here lately.

9. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  10. ccovell

ccovell Resolute Member

That pic is from the aforementioned "Sonic Attack" by Dual Crew/Shining.

11. Shadowlayer

Yep, is not even close to what Amiga Sonic looks like.

12. Well, this thing with the SVP chip would have been prior to the 32X being released or possibly even coming into development. And the Sega CD was hardly really a failure anyway. It was pretty successful for what it was.

I think the idea of using the SVP chip in the Virtua Racing cart for other games that could be sold on disc would have been a great idea. I never even thought of it, but it could be done with the 32X and CD games, then I suppose it could have been with the Virtua Racing cart. I'd heard about Sega considering releasing Virtua Racing as a lock-on cartridge (like Sonic & Knuckles) so that later released games could be plugged into it to take advantage of the SVP chip so that customers wouldn't have to buy the SVP chip all over again for each game that used it. I guess this is what eventually morphed into the 32X idea. However, in my opinion, this would have been a much better idea than either the SVP lock-on cart or the 32X.

Even though the SVP wouldn't have been able to provide as much of a leap forward as the 32X could, getting it as part of Virtua Racing which many people wanted anyway and for quite a bit cheaper than the 32X eventually cost, would have made it a really great upgrade option that probably would have been more popular with the public. It also wouldn't have caused the appearance that Sega had two separate systems vying to be their "next generation" system, since the SVP add-on could only have been considered an upgrade to the Genesis and not a realistic competitor in the coming generation. Lastly, it would have probably also helped the the Sega CD's (and X'Eye's, and CDX's, etc.) sales, too.

Definitely a better idea than the 32X, though the games wouldn't have been as nice as those released for the 32X (and there were definitely some good ones, despite all the trash the system takes).

...word is bondage...

13. Garlo

Garlo Peppy Member

I was under the impression that U.S. Gold had the rights to port Sonic to C64. I have some italian magazine here where they review Sonic and mention this, as well as Sonic ports from other computer plataforms. I'll try and find it during these days and post it. It's in italian, tough. :p

14. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

I can remember many stories throughout the years in magazines that claimed Sonic was heading to other systems, but in the end he stayed (relatively) loyal to Sega until after the company went third party - weren't there also plans to release a series of titles for the PlayStation that included NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter 2 and a 3D remake of the first Sonic? I'd sure love to know if that last one reached a decent enough stage of development for screenshots or even some playable code to leak, as not much is known about it otherwise... if it even existed at all!

15. Shadowlayer

Where did you get that? I never heard of such plans, much less at a time SEGA wasnt even close to bankrupcy.

They were talking about porting sonic to other systems but that was before it became a market craze.

16. LocalH

LocalH Guest

That would make sense, as the Genesis can display more discrete colors at once than an OCS Amiga. The Genesis has four pallet lines of 16 colors (of which the first color of each is unusable for anything but the background color), and the Amiga could only display 32 discrete colors at once (although there was also a half-bright mode analogous to the shadow part of the Genesis' shadow/highlight mode, and of course there was also 4096 color HAM, which is totally unusable for a game).

It would take at least an Amiga 1200 to do a port with perfect graphics, because Sonic 1 uses every bit of the pallet that's available. The mid-frame pallet changes used to produce water wouldn't be a problem, even on OCS, as the Amiga has a copperlist which allows you to do such a thing in a much easier fashion than using the Genesis H-int facility.

17. smf

smf mamedev

DSP is a very loose term http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processor
    Sega marketting are just trying to get people to buy games ( i.e. SNES had DSP so Genesis should have it too, whether it's really one or not ). Don't forget they came up with the term "Blast Processing" & sold cartridges by the megabit because the numbers were bigger.

The best guess right now is that it's an SH1 with an embedded rom ( like the saturn cd controller ). Because of the internal rom, it's function is fixed to the game. So the main cpu could easily just send a list of where the cars are, whether it's a cpu, dsp or whatever.

It's entirely possible it's not a SH1, until someone manages to trojan the internal rom or slice the top of a chip off and dump it from the die then it's all speculation. By now there are so many sites that say it is a SH1 that googling is unlikely to return any real information.

smf

18. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

I have read that "funny" in an April issue of one of the Future Publishings magazines, I think it was Play Magazine, back then when I read it .

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  19. supersonic87

supersonic87 Rising Member

I definetly remember reading about that in the official uk playstatio magazine. There was a half page article saying that SEGA games would be com ing to the PS1, panzer dragoon was one mentioned. I'll see if I've still got the article here and scan it.

20. Shadowlayer

Euro mags were sony bitches during the late 90s.

Obviously that was a tactic to move saturn buyers to the PSX.