Megadrive SVP games

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by StarWolf, Dec 3, 2005.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I have nice pics of that.

2. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

I'm sure you know what I'm going to ask next...

Any chance of sharing those pictures?

3. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

I see, anyways, what I meant before is that the Saturn could even render one of the cars from Daytona2 if it doesn't have to draw the rest of the game;-)

And yeah, I agree with antha

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2006
  4. Shadowlayer

Why my image doesn't load?

5. Fonzie, you should try and get your friend over here. I'm sure many of our forum members would love a chance to ask him some more questions that he might be able to answer because of his experience working with the SVP chip.

I do think the SVP+CD thing would have been a pretty cool idea though. Having a add-on cart in the line of a 32x type accessory and then having the Sega CD access it so that 3d effects could have been added to games would have been amazing at the time. I wonder if there are any prototypes in existance of the Sega CD-SVP add-on cart or if it was only ever an idea on paper.

6. Anthaemia.

I've never heard of the SVP+CD concept before, which makes me suggest that it never made it into a working prototype stage. However, it wouldn't be the first time a previously unknown secret has leaked from Sega - back in that period they were experimenting with quite a lot of different hardware, so it's difficult to come to any solid conclusion unless somebody official says otherwise...

P.S. If this really was true, it proves once and for all that Sega didn't learn its lesson from the MegaCD and 32X failures. Then again, we already knew that because of the later Eclipse project and those proposed add-ons for the Dreamcast!

7. Shadowlayer

Wasn't the eclipse just a DVD reader?

8. Anthaemia.

I always thought that "Eclipse" was the codename for Sega of America's hardware accelerator cartrigde, which supposedly gave the Saturn enough additional power to handle Model 3 conversions. However, I'm not sure who provided the actual chipset for this project (3DFX? Lockheed Martin?) or if it even reached a working prototype stage, though what I do know for sure is that SOJ has very little knowledge - if any at all - of its existence and that it was definitely not being utilised for the three AM2 titles (Sonic The Fighters, Saturn Virtua Fighter 3 and what became Shenmue) that were in development late into the Saturn's life.

Much of what I can remember reading in magazines or sites back during the Saturn/Dreamcast era has turned out to be inaccurate or completely false, so I wouldn't be surprised if "Eclipse" was a DVD reader, after all! By the way, were you referring to the Dreamcast with that comment? I sure hope so, as the Saturn wouldn't really have benefitted from DVD playback features. Besides, didn't the DVD format only really become popular after the Saturn had been killed off? Would the technology have even existed to a good enough point while the Saturn was still alive to justify such an accessory? Then again, being part of the business I suspect that Sega has an advantage over us so who really knows what they had planned?

9. Shadowlayer

Back in the Saturn last days in 98 the DVD was "the new thing" and a player would cost you like 1000 or 800 bucks.

And yeah, a lot of magazines used to publish bogus articles and stuff just to fill the pages.

10. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

NEC was involved with the manufacturing of the PowerVR chips for PC and for Dreamcast. the PowerVR chips for PC and Dreamcast were designed by Videologic, now part of Imagination Technologies.

the Dural which used Videologic-designed, NEC-manufactured PowerVR was one system as far as I know. Dural was officially named Katana in 1997, and renamed Dreamcast in 1998. so Dural = Katana = Dreamcast.

the other competing system was the Black Belt designed in the U.S. at SegaSoft using a custom 3Dfx Voodoo chip for graphics.

11. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

the Eclipse may or may not have existed. it might have been the Saturn upgrade cartridge which used either a Lockheed Martin Real3D-100 or i740 chip
    (not the Real3D Pro-1000 used in MODEL 3) or a 3Dfx Voodoo chip or an NEC-Videologic PowerVR chip. or Exclipse could have been the Sega-Matsushita M2 upgrade for Saturn that was said to be in development.

the Lockheed proposals for a Saturn upgrade or standalone all new successor to Saturn was usually called 'Saturn2'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it is possible the Eclipse and Saturn2 were one and the same, or entirely different projects.

Sega had alot of sh*t in R&D that we never saw.

what we got was 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast, as far as major hardware platforms.

the most well documented was the BlackBelt (3Dfx based) and Dural/Katana (PowerVR based) of which, the Dural/Katana became the winner, and the system to replace the Saturn under the consumer name of Dreamcast.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  12. Anthaemia.

There were many different hardware proposals either in the concept or working prototype stages before Sega finalised the Saturn, and we know of several designs that were considered prior to the Katana becoming Dreamcast. Taking all of this into consideration, does anybody else think Sega also had plenty of ideas for a possible Dreamcast follow-up as well? After its restructuring and new (Sammy-imposed?) emphasis on NOT haemorrhaging cash, would Sega continue making the same mistakes if it were to begin R&D on a new console today? Well, they do say that old dogs can't be taught new tricks...

13. Shadowlayer

Whoa, there was a plan to use the M2 tech in saturn?:eek:h:

14. Anthaemia.

If memory serves me correctly, Sega of Japan was in talks with Matsushita to produce its own specification for a cartridge-based Saturn hardware accelerator, much like their US counterparts' so-called "Eclipse" project (if that really was its codename). I've never been able to find anything specific about this piece of hardware, or whether it even made it to the working prototype stage, though it was probably very similar in performance to the M2. Not only would this have opened up the Saturn to many new titles - weren't Racing Jam and Battle Tryst both originally powered by a coin-operated variant on the M2 technology? - but it would also have allowed more accurate conversions of titles from Sega's own Model 3 as well. For some reason (unknown to me, at least) the deal fell through, and it has even been suggested that later on AM2 considered an exclusive home port of Virtua Fighter 3 for the M2 as a consolation and what surely would have become its defining launch title. Of course, we all know what happened next to the M2, and following its proverbial stillbirth Sega took back what is one of their best Saturn-era productions with the intention once more of releasing it on that console instead (though I won't bore you all by getting into that subject - again). This whole episode in Sega/Matsushita's history isn't well documented, and I for one would love to know more...

15. Shadowlayer

I see, well is not the first time a SEGA game was going to be developed on another console.

Remeber the Amiga Sonic 1?:nod:

16. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

huh?....say what?..any info

Ryan

17. Shadowlayer

I got it in some old magazine, what you didnt know?

18. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

I never paid much attention to sonic.....soo "no"

Ryan

19. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I don't know of any Amiga Sonic game, and I would have thought I'd know about it... Was it just a port of the Megadrive game or was it different in any way?

I'd be interested to see some scans, either way.

20. Shadowlayer

Well I was going trought sonic cult and other sonic fanwebs and nobody has any info on the Amiga Sonic, weird......

K I'm looking for that mag right now.

PS: is sonic1 but with the graphics of the Amiga.