MegaDrive++ : new switchless region + IGR mod

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by keropi, Apr 26, 2016.

1. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

Hiya!
    just a heads to let you know that there is a new switchless region + IGR mod for the megadrive/genesis consoles by SukkoPera.
    The project uses Atmel AVR microcontrollers and adds the In-Game-Reset function which is really useful for flashcart users , in fact that's how I found about MegaDrive++ :)

So what are the features?

Here is the project's page: https://github.com/SukkoPera/MegaDrivePlusPlus
    and the wiki that explains everything in detail: https://github.com/SukkoPera/MegaDrivePlusPlus/wiki

I'll order an arduino nano board to test this, the IGR function is good for max-laziness reasons and reason enough to upgrade from dforce3000's mod that I currently use :D

2. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Thanks for the links, I have a few ATiny's laying around to try this out on.

3. Looney Bin Jim

Looney Bin Jim Spirited Member

I would be interested to hear how this works..

4. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

So I am.
    i would be happy to find some premounted tiny boards :]

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Looking at github, this has been around for months. Hadn't heard anything of it.

I've ordered a few nanos to mod the few consoles I have. Expect a marketplace post soon.

6. MoockyLoock

First in line !

7. Looney Bin Jim

8. SukkoPera

SukkoPera MegaDrive++/SMS++/NES++ Mastermind

Hi, my name is Giorgio and I'm the author of this mod.

First of all thanks to keropi for advertising my work around. I posted about it a bit on the forums I am subscribed to, but I was too lazy to do more than that, hoping that Google would do the rest.

Anyway I'm here to answer any questions and see if we can make Megadrive++ any better. I would be glad to implement whatever features users feel they need. The code is written in C and quite well-organized, so that should be an easy task most of the time, which wasn't really the case with the previous assembler-only modchip(s).

For instance, keropi told me that Everdrives need a longer reset to enter their menu. I didn't know that, so that isn't possible at the moment, but I'll look into it. It should be pretty easy to add a key combo that performs a longer reset.

By the way, I also have a similar project for the NES, I am actually more of a Nintendo guy :). It is similar to borti's solution which is already around, but again it only uses a single AVR chip. It currently allows IGR, NESRGB palette selection/enable/disable and CIC enable/disable. Would anybody be interested in trying that out as well? It is mostly complete, I only have to track down a small issue where the chip loses track of the controller after a while of playing.

Thanks for the interest, hopefully together we can all come up with the definitive Megadrive modchip ;).

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Getta Robo likes this.
  9. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Robust Member

very cool stuff! One thing that would be nice is to just have the pins of the ASIC that the signals connect to / a schematic in addition to the pics you have. Because there are soooo many Genesis / MD model 2 versions out there as well as CDX, Multimega, etc which should all work with this mod. It just utilizes the RESET line and the import region jumper pins, yeah? It should work on any model Genesis then...

The in-game reset is an amazing feature + idea! This is very useful on a Genesis and even more useful on a NES where the games tend to be less fun and need more reset cycling on an everdrive ;) :p

10. SukkoPera

If you look at the actual source file, you'll probably find the schematics you're looking for in text form.

I am sorry, but I can't really do anything better than that, I am totally unable to do any graphics. If anybody could contribute anything better, I will happily include it :).

Anyway yes, those are the signals I use, together with those from the controller port, if you want IGR.

Getta Robo likes this.
  11. Looney Bin Jim

Really awesome stuff sir! Keep up the good work!! I simply can't wait till somebody sells a pre-programmed arduino with this code.. I am not afraid to say that I am not so savvy with programming microcontrollers :rolleyes:

12. SukkoPera

Well, there's no real reason for that. I understand your fear, but one of the reasons why I maintain an Arduino target is to make it easy for anyone to program the microcontroller: if you get yourself an Arduino Nano (or clone), it's trivial:

1. Install the Arduino software and run it
    2. Download Megadrive++
    3. Load it in the software
    4. Connect the Nano with a simple MiniUSB cable (There are also clones out there with MicroUSB, if you prefer)
    5. Hit Upload! (I'm not sure about the name of this button since my software is in Italian, but you can't miss it!)

If you learn to do it yourself (I'm sure you can!) you will be able to do any updates in a snap!

This is the Nano, for reference:

[​IMG]

Getta Robo likes this.
  13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I could offer them for sale, but as mentioned above its so straight forward it's pointless.

If you can solder it in, you can upload a sketch to an arduino.

14. SukkoPera

Yeah! You can sell pre-programmed ATtiny's though. If you end up doing so, please tell me. I'll be glad to put a link to your marketplace on the wiki.

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

That's not a bad idea, will get some in.

16. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

Just got back from a business trip, so glad to see the project catching on :)

I will be getting these nanos: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291548871778 , the seller is a very trustworthy one and they come with the pins unsoldered - a better choice for this application IMHO

[​IMG]

17. MoockyLoock

I'll follow your work and do the same !

18. Looney Bin Jim

OK, you all have convinced me..I'm going to order a nano and give it a go.

19. SukkoPera

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Looney Bin Jim and keropi like this.
  20. SukkoPera

Looney Bin Jim and keropi like this.