Mega EverdDrive

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by KRIKzz, Nov 8, 2011.

1. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

32X must match the vertical frequency of the MegaDrive/Genesis being used. And if the MegaDrive/Genesis is region modded for a 60Hz/50Hz switch, then the 32X must match which is being used, or be region modded itself.

2. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 The retro brony!

Save yourself the trouble on the Genesis/ Megadrive side and region mod it and 32X. 32X region mod is 1 wire and Genesis/ Megadrive region mod is stupid simple. Simple Google search will reveal all. Use the Mega ED to load respective Bios for Mega CD, problems solved, profit. As long as the Genesis/ Megadrive, 32X and Sega (Mega) CD are all running same region (NTSC is 60 Hz and PAL is 50 Hz) everything should work properly. If you REALLY want to get a Sega CD running in PAL mode, hit somebody like say BadAd_84 for a chip with proper BIOS on it. Can even get a multi-BIOS chip made to have all regions and a switch to select.

3. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Yeah most users don't need max compatibility!
    For hardcore types who do, one luxury setup to handle almost any game *ever* conceived in as many modes as possible looks something like this:

Genesis/Megadrive = 2 switches or a 4-position switch, correct TMSS disable mod if present.
    32X = 1 switch
    Mega/Sega CD = region free multi-bios with US/EU/JP switch

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

I can remember someone release screen adjustment program to use with the Mega EverDrive, that displays screen grids and colour balance for convergence problems etc on your display. Can anyone point me to it and what it was called?

5. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

just a note, a 3 way switch for sega mega drive is enough as no game uses 50 hz with japanese region. though i prefer 2 2-way switches.

6. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Perhaps. I can't imagine how few people today only own a 50hz TV, and want Japanese language.

7. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 The retro brony!

When I region modded my model 3, I used a 4-way switch I found in an old alarm clock just because I had it.
    I only had to hook 3 wires up for it to work too.

8. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

and they should be able to stand playing games slow and bordered.

also the only reason to put a 50/60 hz switch to a NTSC 32x would be to play darkxider in its intended speed. of course a 50 hz supporting sega genesis is needed too.

my setup would be like that: a sega mega drive with 50/60 hz and jap/eng region mod, NTSC 32x, sega cd, everdrive md or mega everdrive for cd bios loading.

this setup allows to play every game in intended except darxider. and if i really want to play darkxider, i can always put a 50 hz switch on 32x.

9. Evil Homer

Evil Homer Member

The 240p Test Suite? If I recall correctly it's available as a Genesis ROM, a Sega CD image and a Dreamcast image.

10. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Any ideas where to download it from?

11. Evil Homer

Evil Homer Member

12. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

that thing looks cool. looking forward to snes version. also psx, ps2 and wii versions would be great too.

13. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

14. Mendel

Mendel Spirited Member

Just purchased last mega everdrive dragonbox had in their stock.

Any basic getting started tutorial for me to read while I wait for it to arrive?

Which of the features listed in starting post are working, which are still planned and which are cancelled?

15. Mendel

Mendel Spirited Member

Few days later, I finally realized there is such a thing as google so I googled for mega everdrive support

Found everything I needed to know of course. Maybe this is useful to persons just like me who know nothing and need stuff handed for them :)

Basic use:
    Put MEGAOS.bin to /MEGA/ folder that is in the root of SD or microSD card. (Create that directory after formatting the card)
    Reset console before shutting it down if you want save games to work.
    For more info, read the Mega Everdrive Manual: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-ed/Mega_EverDrive_Manual_ENGLISH_PCBv1.00_FWv2_OSv1.pdf

Change list of software updates V2 - V8

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  16. Mendel

Mendel Spirited Member

Mega Man is listed as not supported. However, I found that it should be possible to hack the game rom such that it should work as people have previously hacked it to work on everdrive md. I didn´t find a readily hacked rom but I think I got through the hacking process myself. It was quite straightforward but I reckon most would prefer to just download a working version. Anyone interested in hosting a hacked megaman rom?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  17. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Well compare with this patch.
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/514/

18. Mendel

Mendel Spirited Member

oh, right. no need to reinvent the wheel then :)

19. Mendel

Mendel Spirited Member

So, what is the status of nes emulation and fm sounds on sms games?

20. sdekaar

sdekaar Rapidly Rising Member

nes emulation 0%
    fm sound: 0%
    :|