Mega EverdDrive

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by KRIKzz, Nov 8, 2011.

1. CLDavi

CLDavi Active Member

But doesn't the Cartridge adjust the roms so that they can be played on the hardware itself?

2. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 The retro brony!

The Mega Key built in should do that most of the time on supported Genesis models. As I said above, my Mega Key seems to be derped up and no work at all. Thus my physical region mod to the Genesis. Besides, I needed an excuse to mod my model 3. Region modding for all 4 regions seemed the perfect thing. Seems legit to me...

3. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Usually. Except I can't test that.

My cartridge has a defective megakey for unknown reasons, like sonicdude10.

4. CLDavi

CLDavi Active Member

Would the Mega Everdrive work with a Mega Drive with TMSS?

5. sonicdude10

Both the Mega and MD work on all official Sega systems, official 3rd party ones, and a few clones. I know for fact they work on model 1, 2, 3, and Nomad from personal testing. I believe they also work on official outsourced models like the Wondermega, LaserActive, and such.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Will more compatibility be added in an update for Master System games, a fair few appear not to work :(

7. zaffo256

zaffo256 Member

In fact they all work fine. They just need to have their header removed. You can use this :http://www.smspower.org/maxim/Software/SMSChecker
    Full story here: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?39513-Space-Harrier-SMS.

Some games need a Master System controller (or a modded Genesis one) and F-16 Falcon won't work as it use a legacy video mode only available on the Master system.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  8. sonicdude10

Anyone here who knows there way around SMS code care to fix this problem or has it been done already?

9. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Thanks Zaffo256!

10. zaffo256

zaffo256 Member

It works great on the MasterEverdrive on a Master System, like every SG-1000 games. I know nothing about computer code or romhacking but I'm pretty sure that you can't easily make a game that use a SG-1000's video mode work on a Genesis without redoing huge part of the code from scratch. And from what I've heard F-16 Falcon is a really bad game that surely doesn't need this much attention and work.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  11. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

Is there any updates being done on the Mega EverDrive? I was wanting one to review, but honestly can't afford it because it's far too expensive for my wallet.

I was thinking about saving up for it, but if the updates have stopped, and compatibility isn't on par with the EverDrive MD, it's not going to be worth the price. Only thing worth it though is fast loading times and the use of RAM instead of Flash.

12. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

He is busy finishing the famicom cart so I'd expect updates are stalled atm

13. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

14. CLDavi

CLDavi Active Member

I'd like to know, if I used a Mega Everdrive with the CD Bios options, would that allow myself to use a NTSC Sega CD, with a PAL Mega Drive?

15. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

It should work. Except at 50hz.

I don't know much about the effect of that on CD games. Besides PAL PS2 Sonic Gems Collection, Sonic CD there in-game seems slow to me.

16. CLDavi

CLDavi Active Member

So what your saying is that it can be possible. So all I have to do is get an unmodded NTSC Sega CD Console, connect it to my unmodded PAL Mega Drive, and use the Mega Everdrive to load the CDs like normal? And also if I did get a NTSC Sega CD, would it be possible to use an Australian plug pack with it, due to the fact the majority of the design between regions is basically the same?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  17. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Buy whichever CD unit is more affordable. If you have Mega Everdrive, then you probably don't need an NTSC Sega CD. bios loading would make the PAL Mega CD able to run as NTSC.

Australian plug pack is OK.

18. CLDavi

CLDavi Active Member

What I was saying is that even with the Mega Everdrive, if I brought a NTSC Sega CD, could that mean all I have to do is to load a PAL Mega CD BIOS to make it compatible with my PAL Mega Drive?

And also, would a PAL 32X work with it for the 32X CD Games?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  19. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Yes. That was just my opinion on the idea, I don't see much purpose.

PAL 32X I'm not sure about. All 32X CD games are FMV based if that matters. Most likely they'll play with timing issues.

20. CLDavi

CLDavi Active Member

But if I play it through a Sega CD Bios, maybe that would work. Or is it because of the different clock speed of the PAL system?