Mega EverdDrive

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by KRIKzz, Nov 8, 2011.

1. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

Blue screen means that cart can not initialize FPGA chip. Something wrong with cart or with your system, maybe just some dirt in cartridge slot. Cart defect possible only in case if cart was damaged while shiping, cuz i test all cats before than send. Look at the biggest IC, may be some pins is broken.

2. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

I have modded the console with a region switch would that cause an issue?

I doubt its a dirty cart slot, as ive cleaned the cart slot with rubbing alcohol and every retail game boots every time, surely if the cart slot was dirty and couldn't read the Mega Everdrive then i wouldn't get the black screen with white writing when i powered on the system?

EDIT: Have just tried the Mega Everdrive on my non modded Mega Drive 1 console and that does the same thing :(, does this mean the card if buggered?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

Looks like your cart have some physical damage

4. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Damn :(. Do i send it back to yourself for a replacement or do i need to go back to the webiste i bought it from which was https://www.dragonbox.de/en/ previously GP2x Shop, or though they are showing no stock left i think?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  5. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

Better send it to me. My addres sent in PM

6. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Ok thanks, replied to PM

7. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Does the Mega EverDrive work on a Genesis 3 console?

8. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

Works fine on genesis 3

9. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

I just wondered if the Mega Everdrive supports serial EEPROM saves now? I'm just trying to convince myself to upgrade from an Everdrive-MD, and its one feature I would really like to see added :friendly_wink:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  10. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

eeprom saves still not supported

11. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Massive thanks to KRIKzz for repairing my Mega EverDrive, sent it back to him and had it back all fixed within 12 days, all working perfectly thanks man!

I have a question about the SMS games, on my MD2 console a fair few dont appear to load just get a black screen and resets back to the menu screen, the games that do load appear to have borders on them like that are playing in PAL mode even though i have my Megadrive set yo US-NTSC region the megadrive games play in fullscreen but not the SMS games any ideas?

Also non of the SMS games work on my Genesis 3 console any ideas on that....is this because the Genesis 3 console didnt support the SMS adapter in the first place?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  12. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 The retro brony!

Not all SMS games will load from the Mega ED. They won't all even load from EDMD.
    SMS games on Genesis having border is normal I think. Has something to do with the video method.
    ...I think...

Genesis 3 lacks support for the SMS mode the console needs to run these games. There is a fix for it. I can't seem to find it but maybe you will have better luck at it. It's simply a few wires going from somewhere on the board to the cart slot. With this fix you can use the Powerbase Converter as well as a Game Genie, 32X with the RGB mod, and Virtua Racing will work.

13. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

I'd there a list of SMS games that aren't compatable with the Mega EverDrive?, and will more games become ccompatable with future software updates?

14. sdekaar

sdekaar Rapidly Rising Member

@krikzz
    i have see the future everdrive nes and naturally it's a big good news(instant buy is approaching fastâ„¢)
    but do have any plan in the future for add features from the original project
    like serial eeprom saves and fm sound for sms ?
    furthermore, can you add the format .VGM in the gym player(more interesting for me) and game genie support for sms mode.

thanks by advance:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  15. CLDavi

CLDavi Active Member

I would like to know, would a Mega Everdrive work on a PAL Mega Drive. I just would like to know please so I can plan ahead for the future.

16. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Yes but flash carts don't change the console's internal region setting. Games will play in 50hz, and use English mode if dual language.

17. sonicdude10

The cart and its little brother the MD aren't confined by region. Same cart will work on any model Genesis. The region problems come from the games. That's why they have a built in hardware Mega Key. To solve all my issues with regions since the Mega Key don't like working on my model 2, (DAMNIT!), I modded my model 3 for all 4 regions with a double pole, 4 position switch. I find the game region, switch console, fire it up, and switch to my desired region (NTSC-U or NTSC-J) once the regional checksum passes. This fixes a few games that seem to run a bit slow in PAL mode.

Fun fact I learned while playing around with this: The Sonic 1 and 2 carts are region free. They play at proper speed in all 4 regional settings. Starting in PAL and going to NTSC makes the game speed up above normal while the reverse is true of NTSC to PAL. I believe S&K is this way too. Don't remember. My cart does have the notch in the side like JAP carts do.

18. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Yeah some games check the system speed at boot. For those you want to use a patch code if available, instead of region switch while running.

Games may also leave content hidden behind their region error screen. Like 6-Pak, US Streets of Rage 2, Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine...

19. sonicdude10

While most games have a regional patch code that can be entered into the Game Genie patch screen and flashed to the game loaded in the Everdrive memory, some games still refuse to boot due to patch not working or it is a pirate game with no codes. That's where having regional settings helps me out. Most games seem to run fine with the region switched. I have yet to find a game that won't run besides ROMs I have that I believe were bad dumps. Gotta love those "all Sega Genesis ROMs" and the likes torrent downloads...

20. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Indeed. After all no code will turn the console 60hz.
    Language forcing is obviously doable with patches, by nature of what patches are. Though I've never seen it done.