Mega EverdDrive

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by KRIKzz, Nov 8, 2011.

1. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

Reformatted a lot of times, using windows and using fat32 format, that I use for external hard drives.
    The only change is that the Mega ED hangs at a blue screen now.
    What the blue screen means?

edit: managed to make it work but only without my 32x.
    Is there any problem with Mega Everdrive and 32x?

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i not detected any problems with 32x (i have two 32x and a lot of various genesis and megadrive). may be problems happens with some combinatios of 32x + main deck + CDaddon + SD card + ac adapter

3. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

The SD card can't be the problem because this problem happens even without the SD cart.
    The CDaddon can't be either because it happens even without the CD attached.

I ordered today from ebay a cable to hook my MD 1 with my 32x to give it a shot, so I should receive it in 2 months from now then I'll be able to see if it's the sega genesis.
    I don't own a second 32x and they are expensive here so I can't check if it's the 32x itself.
    I'll try a second ac adapter to see if can be solved.

In a few pages back you said the Mega Everdrive takes a lot of power to work, can be a weak PSU for the 32x?

http://i.imgur.com/w9soc.jpg

Here's a picture of my 32X psu.

4. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i use powerful high quality PSU, but in monday i can test 32x with original PSU which comes in the bundle with 32x. so blue screen happens even without sd card? blue screen means that cart can not load frimware to fpga, probably cpu reads onboard bios with errors if you use 32x. i saw such result when PSU was not attached to 32x

5. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

If the psu is not attached to the 32x all I get is a black screen after "made by sega bla bla bla" disclaime.

And yes, blue screen even with sd card.
    Which PSU are you using, Krikzz? Can you point one at ebay or some site around?

6. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

actually i asked about blue screen WITHOUT sd card, so it happens without sd card?

i use such PSU, but it is not very good solution for home usage. probably any not cheap PSU on 10V 1.2A would be good enough

7. scottzane

scottzane Rising Member

:highly_amused: Indeed, those kind of PSU are quite accurate for technicians but for home users, there are models more handy and less bulky.

8. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

Oh, sorry I was going to reply that blue screen happens with SD and without SD. No matter the SD.
    The 32x takes 0.850A, do you think raising it for 1.2A would work and would not damage the 32x?

BTW, did you tested your setup with a regular 32x PSU?

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Your PSU's Amperage could be 10A and not hurt it at all. Amperage is your supply of energy. Your components will only draw however much they need. However bad things happen if your supply is too low. But Voltage, you don't want your Voltage to be higher or lower. And your polarity should match.

Be VERY careful if you use another PSU. Be absolutely certain that whatever power supply you use has the same polarity (Center Negative or Center Positive are Polarity possibility) and the same Voltage, and that it outputs DC or AC depending on what the ORIGINAL PSU says on it. Or what the device itself says on it. Finally, use a PSU with equal or higher Amps than the original.

In the US, the 32X uses a 10V Center Positive DC 850ma power supply I believe.

10. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

Yes, the same one I have. It works with Sega Everdrive, all the 32x games. It just don't work with the new Mega Everdrive.

The problem is that I would need to butcher some other PSU to make it work because of that small plug. I'll post if I got any good result but what I can say is: the mega everdrive won't work with TecToy's (brazilian 32x) and a original psu.
    Maybe tectoy did something odd with the 32x.

11. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

should work with regular 32x adapter if adapter is not defective

12. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

I tested some 32x games here and they all started but only got music, no image.
    That's odd because this problem never occurred before the mega everdrive arrival. So I open it up, cleaned with 100% alchool and it worked after a few tries.

Everything is working fine now, sorry for the false alarm.

13. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

Hey Krikzz, would be possible using some button combo get back to the game list via 32x.

No need for in game menu, since vdp is not reachable, but a in game reset to change the game?

14. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 The retro brony!

You could just make a remote reset switch for the console reset button. Same thing as my remote Game Genie switch mod that got me the status title "the lazy gamer". Don't know if this would affect the saves and other things in the Mega ED. Not very hard to do. 2 wires from the internal button going to an external momentary button or switch.

15. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

you already can use ingame menu with 32x for ingame reset, but only for genesis games

16. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

I am buying this mainly for use on my Nomad . Is power consumption the same for Everdrive MD and Mega Everdrive?

17. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

Mega-ed eats much more energy

18. amrod

amrod Member

What is a game I can use to test if saving works?

Ive tried beyond oasis, and it doesn't save for me? After I reset then go back into the game there is no save and it looks like nothing is being written to the sd cart.

19. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

works fine here, you press B on the save option to actually save (you get a yes/no prompt) , if you press A then it just exits the menu

(press start to display the menu, move the selector in the last option resembling a writing feather and press B)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  20. amrod

amrod Member

Hum odd ya I tried that... I wonder if it's my copy or something, it's in .md format