Media Board Bad Flash

Discussion in 'Chihiro Development' started by tkeahi, Nov 18, 2014.

1. tkeahi

tkeahi Active Member

I was trying to update my Chihiro mediaboard firmware via netboot and a power interruption caused a bad flash.

Now when I power up the unit I get an "error 22".

Does anybody know if there is another way to reflash/repair the mediaboard?

2. Serantes

Serantes Peppy Member

something else may happened :

The flash chip contains 2 copies of the same file (its just an xbe file), so when you update, you just write half of the flash, the reason for that is that if you do a bad update, chihiro just boots the other part of the flash that contains a good xbe.

Resuming : its impossible to kill a chihiro doing a flash update if the update crashes cause the system allways has a backup to boot again and fix it .

the 2mb flash is dived into two 1mb files, one containg an older version and the other one containing the last update. Machine comes from factory with two copies of the same segaboot.
    Also each 1mb block has a checksum that the chihiro checks to see if segaboot is good or bad.

The only think i can think about is that you have done 2 bad updates in a row.

Solution : desolder flash, reporgram it again

3. tkeahi

tkeahi Active Member

Thanks....I knew it had 2 copies of segaboot but I didn't know it automatically tried both. I thought maybe there was a XBOX-like method (A18/A19? jumpers?) to force the board to boot from one or the other. AFAIK I only had one bad flash, so maybe the backup was already corrupted. Or maybe its another problem altogether?

4. Serantes

Serantes Peppy Member

well, you can be sure that if the main portion is bad, it switches to the other one as i corrupted the main part to see how it worked, and yes, an older version that was on the flash booted.

Maybe you had a bad xbe on the backup portion, but it makes no sense to my eyes ....

About the jumpers : think that this is not an xbox at all, its just sega using an xbox motherboard on they arcade system ... I dont think anything that works on the xbox may work outside the xbox board itself

CodeAsm likes this.