MD Firmware Files

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by jacksprat1990, Dec 17, 2011.

1. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

That whats I was going for.

2. fraktmp

fraktmp Member

I have bought all five of Krikzz's carts, three from retrogate and the rest from kitsch-bent and tototek.

I find sending away my carts to be updated, unacceptable:
    - too much hustle
    - too dangerous to get lost or damaged in transit
    - too much time away from me (I estimate no less than a month and probably more)

Any thoughts on a firmware download service for confirmed buyers of original everdrive carts? Even perhaps a fee or subscription based service? I'm not averse to paying a nominal sum to Krikzz for f/w updates.

3. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 Member

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word. Be quiet now, let the grown ups discuss.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. takeshi385

Irony: to say not to do one thing and do that same thing the you have said no to do. Jacksprat I will say this once cause I believe.... (some angry text)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
  5. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 Member

Thick bastard.

6. takeshi385

132 lb, 6 foot tall with a 7 percent body fat is thick, yep yep.

7. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

This is to slightly discourage clone EDs. Not stop private FW copies from circulating among users. If have a positive reason to need the file, there's probably users who could help.

8. Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy Active Member

Is this where I point out that the files are back on the site if you manually change to that folder.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  9. Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy Active Member

I've had two contact me already (thanks guys)

10. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

fire enouh.
    md firmware was returned http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index.php?dir=everdrive-md/firmware/
    ridiculous, but almost nobody not cares about those old firmware files, cuz 90% of carts was sold with lastest firmware, and many of rest 10% was updated many months ago. and now so many panics from nothing.
    looks like some people even thinks that edmd support was stopped at all, or even other carts updates was removed also.
    oh shit :katamari2

actually you are exaggerating a bit. of course i don't want to lose edmd, but it will not disaster, if it will happen :nod:

11. PDAisAok

PDAisAok Member

I was one of these people :(

I just got the USB Blaster and was trying to get everything up to date. I'm on v9 firmware though and haven't had any issues, I was just hoping to try out the USB-Blaster I just received and was disappointed to not see the firmware available but I understand the circumstances. As long as v9 isn't missing any functionality from v12 or whatever the latest version is then I really don't have any problems with not being able to update. I've been very pleased with it's functionality and look forward to his new projects I read something about a possible TG16 cart? I would definitely buy one of those

12. fathertime

fathertime Rapidly Rising Member

Folks, nobody with any sense is going to buy a cheap (in every sense of the word) knockoff clone on purpose. If you google "everdrive", all the top results are for the official reseller shops so it's not like someone is going to easily stumble upon a clone store by accident.

You could do what the Wiikey Fusion team did and give each unit a unique serial number that is required for support/downloads on the website. Or even better, reverse engineer the clone to find a difference to exploit and cause a brick with a new firmware update - this is what the Acecard AKAIO team did many times ;)

I really hope the everdrive suite of products continue to receive OS and firmware enhancements in the future as there are still many cool features that could be added... :love2:

13. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

I disagree, but even still how does a person know an EverDrive from China is any different than what they are getting? Most likely it really isn't any different and will work the exact same so to the end-user they are getting the exact same product for significantly cheaper. These aren't like Gucci hand bags. Its not hard to replicate the board and with the FW (the hard part) is available for all they really don't have to do any hard work.

I think there are a lot of loyal KRIKzz fans on this forum for sure and that is excellent and well deserved. Many wouldn't thinking of screwing Igor to save a buck, but not everyone cares as much as you guys. There are many people who wouldn't care if all of Igor's carts were cloned tomorrow and he went out of business as long as they could get them cheaper. If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself.

14. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

For the people complaining about sending the carts back for updates, again, only the ED64 still is getting firmware updates. Much of this is due to Krikzz correcting things early in the development process, as he doesn't have a development team. My point is you don't have to update the other ones anymore.

Unfortunately, I don't think the lack of firmware files is going to prevent piracy of the Everdrive. Especially for the Megadrive version, which has been out for so long now. Frankly, this part of the video game hobby is niche, and the people who spend money on it are 99% of the time very educated in what they are buying. I know that Krikzz puts a list of his "Item Distributors" on his website, but perhaps he needs to make a bigger point of who are his trusted resellers. Also have on that page the sites to watch out for?

Sadly, I could have told him ahead of time he might get in trouble by selling to China. China is the scourge of the world in terms of copyrights. They simply don't care.

15. ceramiclion

ceramiclion Robust Member

Glad to see this issue was resolved.
    I understand Igor's feeling about the problem but at the same time is also fair to give people who legitimately bought the cart the avility to updates the firmware. I do hope that there is a way to make a firmware update that only works with real Igor made everdrives.

16. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

I personally like my current Mega Everdrive and the price was good. The features of Super Mega Everdrive sounds good as well in theory.

Whats your beef?!!!!? Ok, just read it was about the latest Firmware.

But then again I don't know if I have the latest or the one before in my cart but my cart is fully working with no noticeable problems that I know of with latest OS installed so must be different with some people over others.

Hopefully the firmware installer in the new Super Mega Everdrive "I call the normal one Mega Everdrive as it sounds better than Everdrive MD" will sort out this problem?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  17. Barone

Barone Active Member

Oh, you?
    :flamethrower::banghead:

18. fartbutt

fartbutt Member

Can I ask what the last firmware for the super everdrive was? I am one of those who recently bought the programmer device to do firmware upgrades myself, and I'm pretty sure I'm at least one version behind.

19. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

There has not been a new FW version for SED. The original PCB without DSP-1 support uses FW v1 and the second revision of the PCB uses FW v2. You cannot use FW v2 on the original PCB and you can't use FW v1 on the second PCB revision.

So basically there is specific firmware for each PCB revision, but there has never been any upgrades from there.

SED firmware (to my knowledge) has never been available for download from his site.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  20. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

correct