MD Firmware Files

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by jacksprat1990, Dec 17, 2011.

1. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 Member

I think you were out of order in the last thread Krikzz. Everybody pays a lot of money for your products and you should let people keep them up to date. The clones are already out there so that's no excuse.

2. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i definitely know that exist some chinese crap makers, who not yet make a clone, but wants to make.

you really think that i do this just because i want to looks like a greedy and angry idiot?
    how do you think, what will happen, when a lot of crap makers will start to sell this cart, mmm let say for the 20, or 25 bucks, or may be even less?
    (yeah, it possible if they will use used parts or rejected/defective parts and will bake in huge amount). a lot of people will belive that it is my carts, and a lot of angry owners will write the mails to me, they will ask why cart not work, why they have a glitches, and then they will throw their anger in internet.

well, i can say what will happen. in this case i will be forced stop production, and support and OS update aswell. you think it will be good solution? for me, much more easy to make new edmd similar cart, with some protection, and stop all works over original edmd, and just forget about all problems with china, but i really don't want do this.
    so, those chinese guys who already make a clone, is a lucky guys, but another chinese "masters" will suck.
    things always looks simple when somebody look from outside, and don't knows how it is looks inside.

in a pinch anybody who realy want to update firmware, still can use stoneagegamer service, just 5usd for update

so, guys, If you think I'm a moron, then, go ahead, scold me, upload firmware files in internet, if you have the copy, and so on. I'll pretend that I do not care

3. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

4. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Who said you can't keep them up to date? I believe there are plenty of re-sellers that can update for you as well as KRIKzz.

EverDrives aren't some college/side project here, this is Igor and HIS FAMILY's main form of income. If the EverDrive-MD gets cloned (again), its done. The product will die and a huge chunk of his income is gone, not to mention all the income lost by all the re-sellers.

We have already seen plenty of his own "fans" on this board go around the system and get one of these Chinese knock offs because of the price. I have had many people on YouTube reviews of my Deluxe Editions say "I can't wait until the Chinese make clones of these products and sell them for much cheaper." This is a sad state of affairs.

People think they are entitled to a product they can't afford and give no concern with the person/company who actually created it and who they are actually hurting here.

I understand you are a paying customer, who paid full price, and I am sure if you need an upgrade some re-seller will work with you to upgrade your product the cheapest way possible. The EverDrive-MD will most likely not be seeing any new Firmware anytime soon (if ever).

Igor is not trying to be a jerk to customers here, he is trying to protect something that is his. If you can't understand that then I am not sure what else to say.

5. ceramiclion

ceramiclion Robust Member

Makes me sad to hear the problems with the Everdrive. I think either way the product was pretty perfect up to this point. I hope all of this is resolved with the Mega Everdrive once is released.
    I will probably get around to getting one once it comes out.

6. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 Member

I'm not saying you are a moron Krikzz. All I'm saying is that the clones are already out there so that shouldn't stop you uploading your firmware revisions.

To be honest, I couldn't give a s**t about re-sellers. Fair enough, Krikzz might lose money but it's already happened anyway.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  7. 5432

5432 Rising Member

Some carts (Everdrive MD, MS Everdrive and GG Everdrive) don´t need more improvements, I think. The other cases as Everdrive 64 and the next ones don´t think that be a problem sending cart for a new firm, in the future.
    Yeah, it´s easiest downloading from krikzz web but if he thinks is better...

8. Den Tarr

Den Tarr Rising Member

Well, everybody is entitled to make his own mistakes.

And leaving your whole fan- and customerbase out in the rain because someone cloned the hardware is a seriously bad move.

It tells us (who bought your legit Hardware full price) that we are in the same boat as the guys buying cheap knock offs: with no support.

This move sounds like anger and frustration (which is totally understandable). I just hope this precedence is not doing more harm to your business than the chinese cloners...

-D

9. StoneAgeGamer

Great attitude. Out of all I said this is your main response? Whether you care about re-sellers or not really has no bearing on the main point. I bet if the tables were turned and you were a re-seller or Igor himself your attitude would be a bit different.

None of the re-sellers are big evil corporations here. They are all small businesses (this includes Retrogate, Igor's store). Most are probably 1 or 2 people running it just trying to make an honest living just like you.

Maybe taking the FW down is fruitless, but there is a chance its not.

10. StoneAgeGamer

The thing is nobody is left out in the rain. There are ways to get your cart's FW updated still. You still get plenty of support from this forum and 95% of the updates have been via OS which are still posted on his site. I think a lot of people think FW = OS and that's not the case.

Like I already stated I can update carts and normally I charge for it (for people who did not purchase from me), but in the case of the EverDrive-MD I am willing to work our cheapest method of doing this. Even for people who did not purchase from me.

11. Den Tarr

Den Tarr Rising Member

Well, nobody doubts your commitment to the product you sell and your offer is commendable.
    BUT sending hardware around the globe for an update most people in here can do themselves (bought the neccessary USB Blaster) is no solution.

1) Sending in the board costs money.
    2) it takes (a lot of) time.
    3) Things get lost in transit (happens all the time)
    4) Boards can get damaged in transit.

And the real question is: for what? The clones are out there. They have the FW anyway.

In the end, if someone is too greedy to buy the genuine product, they wont buy it, no matter if there are knock offs or not. So I doubt Krikzz is loosing much business by that. Customers having the impression a product is being abandoned... or THEY are abandoned.... I guess that will do much more damage.

12. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Well, I purchased a JTAG-PC Altera unit to update firmware, and got my MD/ED up to V12, the last one I think. But I bought my card in the very beginning, most of the ones since have been supported by people like Stone Age Gamer and sites where you buy them from. The other cards, aside from ED64 (which Krikzz has updates on the web) haven't needed any firmware updates at all. Have to side with Krikzz on this one. If you bought it from China where they have infringed on his rights, you're kind of in the wrong.

13. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 Member

My main point was what I said (not what was directed at you).

Why would we want to send it off to StoneAgeGamer for example which would cost us more money when we could do it from home?

14. takeshi385

All I see here is a newbie putting himself on blast by making and unneeded thread to obtain attention in a manner lacking class. If you wanted to insult a very respected member like Krikzz Jacksprat and show how much of a dick you are, then son you have made a new standard of douche bag which no one needs to be apart of in short GoH better watch out JackSprat is after your title.

15. StoneAgeGamer

I understand your point on sending the cart out to be upgraded, but this has been the case since the beginning. The majority of people who bought EDs never bought the USB Blasters. They either shipped it out to get upgraded or didn't care enough to get it upgraded because it works fine for them as-is.

There have been no new FW for the ED-MD in over a year I believe. The firmware is solid as a rock and will probably never be updated again. Again FW is not where most feature come from. Its the OS where most new features have come from, which is still up on the site.

For people who did buy USB Blasters I have to imagine the majority already upgraded the FW. If you were someone who just bought one and then found out FW was taken down. Those are the people who may have a gripe about him taking it down.

I disagree. There are plenty of people who would buy a product at full price if no cheaper alternative existed. Yes, of course, some won't.

Igor has done a relatively good job controlling the amount of knock offs on the market, but if the flood gates break then a huge amount of business will be lost and then you will see an abandonment of the product.

There is no reason to abandon a product that still sells and still makes money. EverDrive-MD still sells and unless knock offs flood the market will continue to sell even when the Mega EverDrive comes out.

Listen I understand some people's concerns, but I also think many people are freaking out a bit at him taking down some FW for 1 product that will probably not receive another FW upgrade again. OS upgrades sure, but not FW.

16. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

I understand Krikzz anger and frustration as he created Everdrive with his own hands and now see it pirated without mercy but, honestly, I think that removing those old firmware updates is quite pointless against pirates and, much more, is only going to hurt legit customers, who where simply waiting for the required hardware to come or new ones who are going to get outdated firmware version from resellers (as i'm sure that not every everdrive currently in stock are sold up-to-date).

Why do I think it will probably does not harm copiers at all ? Because, first, as you said, those files were available for months and are probably already used and shared by all the people involved in this shitty clone business. Secondly, anyone can actually still grab them back using internet archiving websites (i just did) so even if you want to make them disappear, they will always be available somewhere, somewhere the pirate industry knows while the average customer would not.

That's just my opinion though, at the end, it's Krikzz decision and, as for future updates, I'd fully understand they now remain private to prevent clones from taking benefit from your hard work, but already published ones, I think it's too late :shrug:

17. StoneAgeGamer

Most sellers can't keep them in stock so I would be shocked if anyone is currently selling ED-MDs with old firmware somehow. The current PCB and FW have been out for about a year.

IMO all re-sellers should have the ability to upgrade firmware anyways. Times where a FW upgrade came out between the time he shipped and the time I got them I would upgrade all my carts before shipping to customer. Maybe not all re-sellers do this I am not sure.

18. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 Member

You absolute f**king retard, I'm not insulting Krikzz at all, I never have done and I never will do as I love his products and use them constantly. I'm just pointing out that the firmware files should be hosted on the website as there are clones out there already so the damage is already done.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
  19. takeshi385

Oh so you do have some base in your voice thats how like them. From my stand point you were insulting him. I stand by the fact that making a new thread was a douchebag move. My cesspit as you call it is quite nice, lovely.(need a new rotten fish). Humoring you of course. You call me a fucking retard how many times have I herd that. LOl we all love to have fun , but now I have to ask Are U MAD BRO. Humoring At its finest. The fact is krikzz is trying to control chaos. Please , sir talk to me with class. Notice how I speak with out anger ,but your post so clearly mad. Take some meds and speak. Such a clear hate for my guts simply exciting. Come now, the base in your voice has to go and speak with a distinct mark of brilliance and education.

20. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 Member

The irony is stunning.