MD Everdrive - Official "game doesn't work" Thread

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by Bboydocument, Jan 22, 2011.

1. uk_mdfan

uk_mdfan Newly Registered

36 Great Holes 32x, Doom 32X, and Budokan

With my MD in USA Mode. 'Budokan' (U) refuses to boot, however 'Budokan (E) boots fine. An odd problem I'm having with all versions of '36 great Holes' is that it crashes as soon as I try to change characters. Though I would like this confirmed as I am using a region switched USA 32X unit. I found 'Doom 32X' to crash after about a minutes play when 'region free' is enabled. Other wise it works fine.

2. goldenband

goldenband Spirited Member

I've had the same issue with Budokan (U) -- I had no luck in getting that to boot on any TMSS system with any configuration of options (Hard Reset on/off, etc.), or even with a Game Genie between the EverDrive and the console (which does work with my original copy of Populous).

I think I may've even been unable to get it to work on my Model 1 without TMSS, but I'll have to double-check that. In any event the (E) ROM works fine for me too, and I think it's otherwise identical. I'm guessing the (U) version does something to trash the TMSS register -- though someone on Sega-16 insisted that their US-released Budokan cart would boot on their Nomad (which has TMSS), so who knows.

Can't speak to the 32X games since I have original carts for those and haven't tried them with the ED.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

U version of Budokan has incorrect header

4. goldenband

Thanks, Krikzz. Is it a bad dump, or just a poorly programmed game?

5. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

I think this game was released unlicensed and Sega pulled the models with boot ROM license screen (which require SEGA header) + tmss in response for that. I have the US cartridge and it indeed does not run on my MD2. The european cartridge however does.

6. goldenband

This all matches up with what I've heard/seen. The part I don't understand is why the other unlicensed EA & Accolade games (like Populous and Zany Golf) will work through a Game Genie on a TMSS system (I've verified this with an original Populous cart), but Budokan won't.

Does Budokan trash the TMSS register like some of the Russian games do? Or is the (U) ROM in GoodGen just a bad dump? I need to go bust out my Model 1 and double-check that it'll even boot on a non-TMSS system...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

I can only get The New Zealand Story to work if I reset the console after booting it up.

8. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

from my own testings, it does not seem it does, TMSS register is left untouched by the game

I don't see how it would be a bad dump as the real cartridge has the same problem with Game Genie (Game Genie boot program acting as Everdrive OS + Hard Reset OFF, leaving TMSS register correctly initialized before booting to game).

9. goldenband

Hmmm, OK. So any ideas on what exactly Budokan is doing that's making TMSS systems boof the pooch? It's gotta be something that's different from Populous and Zany Golf.

10. sdekaar

sdekaar Rapidly Rising Member

there are the same bug with real cart on megadrive 2.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  11. Bboydocument

Bboydocument Spirited Member

Yes true, sorry for including that but i just wanted to make it clear the problem lies with the real cart and not the ED itself. For some reason non official controllers not supported..maybe capcom wanted people to stop cheating with rapid fire?

EDIT: i'll be updating this thread soon with the additions made over the year. sorry for the delays, my job has been draining me

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  12. io.

io. Member

If I'm not saying goof, for Fogotten Worlds, press the "mode" button of your 6 buttons controller to switch to 3 buttons mode and it should work.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  13. pdcool27

pdcool27 Member

Target Earth / Assault Suit Leynos, in the no-intro set, keeps getting detected as a master system game instead of a genesis game as of os 29, also every rom of Forgotten worlds has given me black screen

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  14. Artie Stolks

Artie Stolks Active Member

Onslaught (No-Intro) has the same problem. Detected as a SMS game.

15. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Every case I've seen of something being detected as an SMS game is from the header saying something other than Sega Mega Drive or Sega Genesis.

If you manually change/insert that information it should work.

16. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

Same here, same problem on Phantasy Star II. They are working fully though so doesn't really count as non working.

17. SGGG2

SGGG2 Active Member

Has anyone gotten Maze of Galious: Knightmare II to work?

18. sonik

sonik Site Supporter 2013

Maze of Galious for SMS? Really???
    Played it a lot on the MSX!

19. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

Like most MSX ports, it uses a special mapper probably not supported by Everdrive.

Also video does not work on Mega Drive because the game makes use of old display mode which is only supported on Master System hardware...

20. GenkiMan

GenkiMan Member

Hello
    I have a Everdrive cart and i'm trying to play Wonder Boy in Monster World (megadrive version) but i can't.
    I've read that it's because of the save system and that there is a patch like the one for Mega Man that enables SRAM saving but the links i found with the IPS patch or the patched ROM are all gone.
    So i would like to ask if anyone has this 22bit IPS file to patch the game and if you could send it to me.

Kind regards