MD Everdrive - Official "game doesn't work" Thread

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by Bboydocument, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Bboydocument

Bboydocument Spirited Member

Hi all,

This thread is for those who want to report non-working Gen/MD games on the Everdrive MD.

I am running a megadrive 1 (pal/ntsc modded) with Everdrive MD specs:
    OS v28, Cart Rev 2.2, Firmware v12

If a game doesn't work, chances are it's an EEPROM or SRAM game and a
    patch/fix may be out there - check the romhacking.net site or google.

As mentioned by greg2600:
    Also, quoted from the Everdrive MD manual:
    Note: Mega Man Wily Wars is reported working with a patch (See below).

Roms with special chips (ie. virtua racing (md/genesis version) ) are not supported.

Below is a current list of reported MD/Genesis non-working games, with symptoms and fixes (if they exist):

Beyond Oasis (re-translated version?)
    Symptom: red screen
    Fix: Master code for Beyond Oasis (game genie required): AABT-AA7R

Budokan (U)
    Symptom: doesn't run on TMSS consoles
    Fix: use the (E) rom, as the (U) rom has a bad header

College Slam (U)
    Symptom: not mentioned
    Fix: Find hacked/fixed rom exists (GOODGEN code [h2]).

Darxide (32x) (U)
    Symptom: "This was made for PAL systems only"
    Fix: Change the "A" in the rom header to a "U" for US systems. Changing it to an "F" should make it playable by any system. You can use any hex editor to do that..(http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?11013-Everdrive-MD-Flash-Cart/page10)

Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing (U)
    Symptom: blank screen
    Fix: Find hacked/fixed rom exists (GOODGEN code [h1]).

Forgotten Worlds (JUE)
    Symptom: When starting new game at title screen, the "cutscene" plays then immediately shows game over screen.
    Fix: Check your controller. Apparently this game only works with official red text 3-button Sega controller.

Golden Axe II
    Symptom: Can't move with the dpad
    Fix: You either have to use a 3 button pad, or hold the MODE button in on your 6 button controller when powering on the game to get it to work.

Greatest Heavyweights of the Ring (U)
    Fix: Find hacked/fixed rom exists (GOODGEN code [h4]).

Mega Man Wily Wars (UE)
    Symptom: doesn't start?
    Fix: Visit link to patch - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/514/

Might and Magic I and II (UE)
    Symptom: Error on screen about SRAM...
    Fix: Patched versions exist out there - check GOODGEN codes.

MLBPA Sports Talk Baseball (U)

NBA Jam Tournament Edition (REV 00) (JUE)
    Symptom: blue and black bars
    Fix: Find hacked/fixed rom exists (GOODGEN code [f1]).

NFL '95 and NFL'98 (U)
    Fix: need to find if hacked roms exist

NFL Quarterback Club (JUE)

NFL Quarterback Club 96 (F)

Ninja Burai Densetsu (J)

Rambo III
    Symptom: (not starting?)
    Fix: Requires reset after loading the game into the Everdrive MD. Or leave the auto reset option on.

Sportstalk Baseball
    Symptom: Loads title screens then crashes
    Fix: none offered

Starflight
    Symptom: doesn't save.
    Fix: none

Wonderboy in Monster World
    Symptom: Loads title but also freezes on start.
    Fix: a patch exists which fixes this problem (link?)

Special thanks: greg2600, modsbox, eke, krikzz, goombakid

-----------------------------------------------------
    SMS GAMES

It has been reported that there are numerous SMS games which give a black screen, crash etc.
    zaffo256 has posted the following fix for SMS games not working:
    -Try to fix the ROM with SMS Checker :http://www.smspower.org/maxim/Software/SMSChecker
    -Explanation here:http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ce-Harrier-SMS

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. BM-Viper

BM-Viper <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

correct only .bin files will work, the extension isnt really the worry, but rather the format the data in the file is in.

3. Bboydocument

Thanks

NBA Jam T.E. symptoms ('blue bars on black screen' upon boot) seem to be a known problem in emulation.. can't even get an emu to run this. Tried getting another copy of it, still same problem.

Does a fix/patch exist for this game?

4. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

Dont some of those games use EEPROM for saves? The Everdrive-MD and some emulators dont support EEPROM saves. Its discussed in more detail in this thread:-

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27630

Some games can be hacked to use SRAM saving instead, although I dont know if any of the games you listed have already been done.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  5. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

NBA Jame T.E. maybe a bad rom dump. If it doesn't work on an emulator, it's not an SRAM/EEPROM problem, as most current emu's have those issues fixed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  6. Bboydocument

I've done some further research guys. Here is what i've done so far:

-I have a folder of .GEN files
    -I have renamed all to .GEN to .SMD, so I can run smd-to-bin.exe tool from krikzz.com
    -smd-to-bin.exe reports '0 files converted'. I assume this means that all the files were okay and that they were already .bin files (?)
    -I started up the everdrive,
    -I chose the NFL 95 (and later the NFL 98 rom)
    -The flashing process showed the file type as "SMD"(??) But I thought it was recognised as a .bin file in the smd-to-bin tool?
    -Autostart proceeded to run game. Gave me the same problem (black screen).

NFL 95 and NFL 98 seem to work fine in my emulators.

I believe these two games do not use EEPROM saving. I refer to the list of EEPROM games:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5965

I've tried two different versions of NBA Jam T.E. rom and both give the blue and black bars startup glitch. I can also confirm, using 3 different versions/variations of Gens32, that it gives the same symptoms in these emulators. To further confirm, would it be possible for someone out there to give this a try in their emu (or even with their Everdrive?)

To add to this list, NFA Quarterback Club roms give the same symptoms (in both the emu and the everdrive) as the NBA JAM T.E. roms (blue and black bars).

There isn't much out there on the net about a fix for NBA JAM T.E. I've googled for a fix or patch or something, but all i've found is people complaining in random forums that the roms don't work in their emus..

But anyway, i'd really like to know why NFL 95 and NFL 98 don't work.. quite odd that the emu starts them without issues..

EDIT:
    I just read the following in the Everdrive MD Manual:

Q: Which games are not supported by the EverDrive-MD?
    A: Virtua Racing, Mega Man, and some EA sports game titles.

Well that explains why the NFL games don't work..
    Maybe I can go through the EA sports games and list the ones that do and don't work.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

Correction on Megaman not working with the Everdrive MD. It will work. However, you will need to apply a patch to the original ROM. I have got it to work with my Everdrive MD (OS 20, FW 9) on my US Genesis 2.

Link to patch.

I'm not sure if the patch will also work for PAL consoles, however, this patch will work for NTSC consoles.

8. BM-Viper

BM-Viper <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

when it refers to SMD in the flashing portion, it is saying it recognized it as a Sega MegaDrive rom, not to the file format. If it was a mastersystem rom it'd refer to it as SMS.

9. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

Here's my current list of games using serial EEPROM for saving.

Backup feature won't work for any of these games and some of them (ACCLAIM ones mostly but also Wonderboy & Rockman) that have some kind of internal memory checks on startup will fail to boot, as already explained in the other thread.

10. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I tried out NFL 95 and 98, neither work, get a blank screen. Both of those games are SRAM games though, so I'm surprised they don't work. I tried with SRAM off, didn't help. NFL 94 (not SRAM) does work. I turned all options (SRAM, hard reset, region patch, autorun) off and it's still a black screen. I presume the games actually are using EEPROM mappers like the other SEGA sports games.

I went through Eke's list and can report the following (I did not test saving, only gameplay):

ACCLAIM
    Works: NBA Jam
    Nope: All others load vertical blue lines (College Slam, NBA Jam TE, both Quarterback Club's, Frank Thomas).

Electronic Arts
    Works: Bill Walsh, Madden 93, NHLPA 93, Rings of Power.

SEGA
    Works: Mega Man Wily Wars will work using a custom patch. Wonderboy in Monster World loads title but also freezes on start. However, a custom patch was created and works!
    Nope: Evander Holyfield, Greatest Heavyweights get blank screen.
    Partial: Sportstalk Baseball loads title screens then bombs on start.
    ???: Can't test those Japanese games, don't have the roms.

Codemasters
    Works: All three Micro Machines games.
    Partial: All three Cricket games run however the screen just keeps scrolling vertically like the vertical lock/hold is busted. Maybe a PAL thing?

I think those Mega Man/Wonderboy patches allow for SRAM saving (didn't test). The other SEGA games can probably be patched to work by ignoring the EEPROM search. Not sure about the Acclaim games.

11. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

No they aren't. I think I remember some EA sports game are using word write to access SRAM and maybe even 16-bits SRAM (most genesis games only use 8-bit SRAM and access it to odd OR even addresses) so maybe Everdrive is not supporting this.
    Yes, those games use the extended video height mode (240 lines instead of 224) which is only supported by PAL hardware, NTSC consoles lose vertical sync in this mode.

12. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Good to know about the video mode, not that I'm a cricket fan!

Those NFL games are not EA, they are SEGA sports. Don't know if that changes your thoughts on them. Not a big deal to me, as the SEGA football games were pretty lousy compared to Madden.

13. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

Just verified and indeed those games seem to access SRAM with word writes, not bytes. Maybe it's the reason they don't work with Everdrive, Krikzz would know better about that ;-)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  14. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

cart supported only with byte access to sram

15. Bboydocument

Greg and Eke - You guys have been awesome, thanks for your work and for verifying with me!

16. modsbox

modsbox Newly Registered

working nba jam TE rom = REV00 [f1] in goodgen set!

First off, great thread. We've needed this for a while.

I think I have some news, I found a working NBA Jam TE rom for genesis!

I really wanted this game to work, so I took the time to extract all of the variants of it from the goodgen set that I have. The goodgen naming legend indicates the roms with [f] in them have some sort of fix applied, so that's where I started after both [!] versions ([!] means definitive clean rom dump) gave me blue bars. Lo and behold the (W) (REV00) [f1].gen version works great!

I didn't take the time to try saving or anything, I was too excited and went ahead and played a full game instead. I assume that it doesn't work, and whatever fix this rom has just helps it get past the check at bootup. But I know that version of the rom definitely works great on my everdrive so I wanted to share.

What could be interesting is, for NBA Jam TE at least, to try the couple other versions of the rom in the goodgen set. I only tried [f1] there was also [f2] and [f1 + C]. The [f1 + C] is interesting, as I assume the rom title should have been [f1 + c] to indicate a crack applied, since an uppercase C is used to indicate China region.

Another interesting thing to do would be to diff the [f1] version of nba jam with the non-[f1] to see what the differences are, then potentially apply the same tweaks to other acclaim ROMs that do the blue bar thing but do not have fixed roms in the goodgen set (if those exist).

17. Karny

Karny Member

Anyone had any joy getting Ranger X to run? I've tried a bunch of different roms and the result is the same: black screen :shrug:

18. Karny

Karny Member

Never mind! I found one that works! :redface:

19. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

On modsbox's recommendation, I found a NBA Jam TE rom with the [f1] on it. And yes, it did work! So I started investigating some others. Obviously, roms are often renamed when placed on certain websites or in different archives. So I'll list the names I have, but I don't remember where I found the archive:

College Slam (4) [h2].bin
    Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing (U) [h1].smd
    Greatest Heavyweights of the Ring (U) [h4].bin
    MLBPA Sports Talk Baseball (U) [h1].bin
    NBA Jam Tournament Edition (REV 00) (JUE) [f1].smd
    NFL Quarterback Club (JUE) [h1].smd
    NFL Quarterback Club 96 (F) [h1].bin
    Ninja Burai Densetsu (J) [h1].smd

*note I had to run Igor's smd-to-bin on some.

Haven't found a hack that works yet for Frank Thomas. Like I said, due to all the naming, finding the exact roms might be a bit troublesome, but I think the key is to find ones with the [h] that were hacked, often several years ago.

20. Bboydocument

Glad to hear that there are hacks and fixes out there. I'm going to try the fix for nba jam t.e. Thanks modsbox and greg