Max Payne 1 Dreamcast/PC Beta

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ZEN, Jan 27, 2016.

1. pato

pato Resolute Member

Mikki is is the employee/owner of Remedy

2. pato

pato Resolute Member

This is from the this vĂ­deo

Doubt that used Dreamcast code as the port would have been in a very very early development stage.

Sorry, double post.

3. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

It has been said before, but people still insist on there being a Dreamcast version. There never was one, it was probably just magazines filling in blanks.
    Remedy had always been developing for the PC and by the end of the project, say late 2000 - early 2001, their publisher, Rockstar, passed on the code to other 3rd Party Developers to port the game to different systems. By this point in time the Dreamcast was already pretty much dead to even be considered for a port and in early 2001 it was actually discontinued. One of the heads at Remedy even said that they had never seen any code running on the Dreamcast.

Still, even with all of the context above, I can maybe see a small window where a possible Dreamcast port may have been worked on, say in early 2000. The Dreamcast was really powerful at the time, so it certainly must have been considered. However, what probably happened is that they kept pushing the release of the PC version further and further back and such no real work was being done on any of the ports, until a clear end was in sight. There might be some preliminary work on porting the engine to the Dreamcast around, but I really doubt it ever reached a state where they could show it off. I'm thinking System Shock 2 and Thief 2 here.

Jord9622 and pato like this.
  4. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Different Junkie skin. The Suits have different face skin then the final and I think Jack Lupino doesnt care a shotgun or does he. Also is Beta Max skin in the code? Just wondering. Also I forgot to mention that I was reading old articles and their was indeed people who got a sort of beta copy to review the game so a Pc beta build may be out there.

5. pato

pato Resolute Member

These were things that were from e3 2000 and remained until the last moment, you can also see their hands being low poly and there is a few screenshots from May and June that shows those models alongside with the final ones.

Also, take a look in the Ingram, it was the same one from 1998, the Jackhammer is a bit different (not sure if is the same from 1998), and the Suits carry an MP5 with silencer which remained on the final version as an unused content (there are mods who reinsert it) which was replaced with the M4.

Also, for the Payne texture, I think it was just the blue tone on the screenshots that made it look different.

6. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Why does the Jackhammer sound like a Machine Gun even though its suppose to be a auto shotgun.

7. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Shot0001.jpg So this what Max would look like if he had the MP5 if was still in the game.

Jord9622 likes this.
  8. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

The forums I linked was this very forum, lol :D
    It's a thread about the Dreamcast version of Max Payne.

9. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

yea I saw this you linked it again last time no offense.

10. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Yeah I linked to it again because it seemed liked you misunderstood what it was :)

11. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

No I understood it. I was just quoting those Covers because I remember those like 4 years ago I think.

12. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  13. pato

pato Resolute Member

The Dreamcast port was official as I've said before, but it happens that there are questions over the state of the development, but its possible that they did some hardware testing.

14. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

I guess so. Any luck finding a old demo.

15. pato

pato Resolute Member

Decided to extract the .ras from the PC version (PS2 has only one which is the comic imegas).

There is an unused shades model for the suits and is ultra low poly, which means that their shades were initially an alpha channel.

The E3 1998 pistol sound, and the E3 2000 MP5 sound still existis on the files, albeit unused.

There is injury sounds for Max and even death sounds by gunshot, but I don't recall them being used ingame.

16. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Oh man, both of these would have been great additions. Shame they didn't make it. Although how much longer would it have taken? Remedy usually takes a bit of time on their games.

Love all the discussion regarding one of my favorite series. Now if we could only get some MP3 stuff...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  17. pato

pato Resolute Member

Oh man, both of these would have been great additions. Shame they didn't make it. Although how much longer would it have taken? Remedy usually takes a bit of time on their games.

Love all the discussion regarding one of my favorite series. Now if we could only get some MP3 stuff...[/QUOTE]

Level editor still existis, its even included in the CD Autorun to install (MAX-FX Tools).

18. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I totally screwed up quoting haha. I never had the original game on PC, only ever played the XBOX version. Now that I have the game on PC I need to check this out.

19. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

iam just gonna say this but multiplayer are on Preview builds that were sent to reviewers in like beta stages of the game.

20. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

hey can you make a video where I can get and put those sweet sound files and shades in the game thanks Pato.