Max Payne 1 Dreamcast/PC Beta

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ZEN, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Just wondering if anyone has a know copy or even a bit of information of Max Payne beta. I know its pretty far out their but just wondering if anyone knows anything about it other from screenshots or videos.

2. pato

pato Resolute Member

I've already asked here and saw some old posts from other threads.

About the Dreamcast port, some people say that Remedy didn't have the Devkit in first place, others say that they had it, and I think someone told that it never got past the tech demo stage, but the port was indeed oficially announced, but it would be released only after the PC release.

For the original game itself, its quite hard to get because you have to look in older sites and sometimes a bit of Wayback machine, but I think that Remedy forum had an thread that contained download links for things related to the development, i've downloaded all of them.

What I know around the development, it was announced back in 1997, it even had a few magazine shots from an garage level with a few concepts that got in the final game, an garage level, an masked enemy and a somewhat crackup thug enemy.

One of the notorios cut was giant enemies that were seen in those screenshots and in E3 1998, Valkyr initially could cause some mutation to its users. Another difference is that the comic cutscenes had an water painting look, also Vinnie was meant to get shot by Max after being defeated or shot near him as an warning.

One of the levels that didn't get the cut was an Church one that lasted untill E3 2000, either it was an early version of Ragnarok or simply another place, this one can be seen in the 1998 and 1999 screenshots, including GameStar video preview E3 2000.

The MP5 was cut at the last hour for the M4, as it was still being seen in the IGN e3 2001 video for Playstation 2, which also had an different HUD, in fact, this gun can be reactivated by modifying the game, in fact many mods enable it.

Someone told in youtube comments that if you switch your character with Jack Lupino and equip with the Berreta, his shooting animation is the beta one meant for Max.

nullChar and Jord9622 like this.
  3. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

With the actual technology wouldn´t be possible to someone experienced in programming to port the PC version of Max Payne (with downgrades) to Dreamcast?

Jord9622, DSwizzy145 and Ss4gogeta0 like this.
  4. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Great information. Would you be willing to share those links you've downloaded? I like Max Payne quite a bit. I've probably played through the first one at least 3 times.

5. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
    pato likes this.
  6. pato

pato Resolute Member

Found it

http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/max-payne/9661-max-payne-collection

Also, there are videos and powerpoints of the technology they used, these were shown in game developers events to show how it works.

Also, when they had moved offices, they made an tread which had an image of an dvd box containing an unseen footage a few months before E3 1998

[​IMG] http://community.remedygames.com/forum/general/general-discussion/8781-remedy-is-moving/page2

Sadly, Mikki said that there are no plans to release it.

7. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

I think I remember why Vinnie getting shot was cut. I think the reason why it was cut was that it didn't really suite max character at all. But I never seen the Jack Lupino Skin Switch do you have a video about it.

Woah never seen that before. But didn't Remedy gave like a free demo out to Game Journalist or something back then.

pato likes this.
  8. pato

pato Resolute Member

About jack lupino, is when you add an Console option in the shortcut command line, IIRC page up and down switched characters.

I don't know about this one, according to Wikipedia, journalists felt that it was looking much more an Tech Demo.

9. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Wait for the engine or the game. Because I know remedy had a tech demo about the Engine and showed glimpses of Max Payne but that it.

http://ru.maxpayne.wikia.com/wiki/Игровое_видео
    Found this Russian Website with some Max Payne 1 beta related things. Also in the Max Payne 1 Special e3 trailer shows a bit of the church that you were referring about.

Just found some beta story elements about Max Payne 1 from 3D Realms website dated October 21, 1998: It basically just talks about the preview of the game. Preview:
    When a new, deadly drug hits the streets of the near, grimy future, the Drug Enforcement Agency sends Max Payne to stop its makers. And the ones who are responsible are�the Mafia (yes!). Of course the action heats up when Max is framed for the murder of his own boss (damn that Mafia!), and you must fight DEA agents and cops, too. With realistic guns, ultra-violent encounters, and top notch graphics, this is actually looking to be one of the more original coming shooters. Sure Sin has a similar plot, but it is so much more grounded in fantasy. The game will use cutscenes done in grim, dark, comic book style, and is fully 3rd person. Grim and gritty with a flavor that crosses film noir and John Woo, this one looks good. For mature audiences only.

Looks like Alex Balder wasn't Max Payne Friend but more of his boss in the game. It also tells that you go against DEA Agents which never happens in the game but only that small section where swat team comes to attack max in the final. Its also shows that Max isn't fighting the Aesir Corporation like in the final but the mafia.

10. MBMM

@ZEN Woah, buddy. Gotta utilize that edit button. Good information, though.
    So there's no chance of us seeing that?

11. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

I guess so. I don't know why not release but I guess we will never know. But I we don't know if this was given out to the public or not so someone may have. Hopefully someone has it.

Sorry I didn't realize it was their until you pointed that out lol.

12. MBMM

Everybody has their own reasons for not, and whatever that reason may be is good enough. Is the person looking to sell or anything like that? Anything pre-release Max Payne always piques my interest.

13. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

max_oldmax.jpg here a Picture of Max way in early development before the game was even called Max Payne. So this can be Circa Late 1996 or Early 1997. I don't know why but he reminds me of Slender Man just look at his arms lol.

309694-2569350_001.jpg Some Concept Art.

376807-maxpayne_011.jpg I see in alot of Screenshots their are alot of this Black Hud and this pretty late in the game. Also Max has grey type pants that isnt in the Final or early beta.

Jord9622 likes this.
  14. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

15. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Yea nice find. I do remember those Box art covers from a wiki source way back. Also in the forum you link PS2 version wasn't in developed with the game it was ported like months after the game came out using I think a bit of code from the dreamcast.

maxpayne_screen016.jpg Possible DreamCast ScreenShot

Jord9622 and xaeroxcore like this.
  16. MBMM

RedRingRico likes this.
  17. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

Looks like a typical 2000 pc game...Kind of blocky, but with high res (for the time) textures, and less blocky character models than the average 32/64 bit console games...If DreamCast wouldn´t have suffer the 2001 demise...Would the Max Payne version of it looked at least closer to the PS2 edition?

18. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

Btw the Engine Max Payne 1 Alpha and beta is running is Quake 2. Only for a while then it used the MaxED engine.

19. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

As you were already asked, PLEASE use the edit button rather than double posting. As per the rules:

The multi quote works either by using the + Quote button, or easier still... click reply on on message. The quote is pasted for you. Reply to that. Find the second post you want to quote. Hit Reply. THAT post will be pasted, too.

20. ZEN

ZEN Rising Member

which one is he talking about?