Matrix PIC fix for v9 and v10 systems

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by HaloSlayer255, May 1, 2018.

1. HaloSlayer255

HaloSlayer255 Active Member

Hello all,

Found a youtube comment by Voultar that states the Matrix PIC fix that was commonly used on v12 slim consoles can also be used on the v9 - v11 fat ps2 consoles.

I found the service schematics online and this is what I was able to come up with:

PS2 v12 K Point - R6109 Pin 78 IC 6101 in the service diagram
    PS2 v12 J Point - JL6380 (Can't trace this, don't have a PCB revision of this atm)
    PS2 v12 5v Point - IC7001 Far left pin closest to scex signal
    PS2 v12 GND Point - AnyGND

PS2 v9 GH-023 K Point - IC605 Pin 78 (1 Pin Left of Point I using modbo diagrams)
    PS2 v9 GH-023 J Point - Unknown ATM
    PS2 v9 GH-023 5v Point - IC807 Pin 3 (Pin Closest to Reset signal)
    PS2 v9 GH-023 GND Point - AnyGND

PS2 v10 - GH-026 K Point - IC605 Pin 78 (1 Pin Left of Point I using modbo diagrams)
    PS2 v10 - GH-026 J Point - Unknown ATM
    PS2 v10 - GH-026 5v Point - IC807 Pin 3 (Pin Closest to Reset signal)
    PS2 v10 - GH-026 GND Point - AnyGND

Does anyone have a ps2 v12 board they can use to map where GL6380 leads to and what component is mentioned? This way I should be able to map out where the missing input wire goes to. Also does this information sound logical according to the diagrams? Is anything needing corrected?

Thanks in advance,
    HaloSlayer255

2. kel

kel Spirited Member

It connects to the /Reset line between pin 2 of regulator IC4304 and pin K5 of the Mechacon IC6301 so for the V9 and V10 it should be anywhere between pin 2 of regulator IC403 and pin 52(v9) / K5(v10) of the Mechacon IC607.

I didn't have time to confirm the rest of your information but this did motivate me to finally get started on the v9 and v12 that I have sitting here. I already traced all the points out but then didn't get around to making a start for a while and will need to do that part again, hopefully within the next few days and then I can compare with your information.

I noticed that you don't have the L1 and L2 connections in your information though?

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  3. HaloSlayer255

Hello Kel,

Never heard of the L1 and L2 connections. Just heard of locations K, J, Gnd, and 5v from the v12 diagram. What do those connections do? Also I asked another member on theisozone if the y could trace point j on the top side of the board. Hopefully their finding supports this information.

Wasn't aware those two points existed. But the testing method sounds like this to me: 5v and Gnd supply power and ground for the chip to activate. The code checks point k for mechacon crashes and point j connects to a reset line to shut down the console. This is backed up by your description of point j. Now if point k is connected to ground it cannot detect mechacon pulses and shuts down the console as a safety measure at 3 seconds from cold boot.

Could L1 and L2 locations provide more logic tests for mechacon pulse detection?

Can't wait to merge this info together and try this out. Already have some 12c508a pics flashed with the matrix laserfix file. Just a question on that though, the oscillator value remains unchanged, correct?

Thanks in advance and for the help,
    HaloSlayer255

4. kel

kel Spirited Member

The L1 and L2 connections are to mute the focus and tracking motor driver IC and is the main protection if the mechacon crashes. As far as I can tell the J connection is just an extra precaution to shut down the PS2 and isn't really that important.

Comsoft v4 seems to be the latest code. You might be better off using that file instead, let me know if you need a copy. I'm not sure about the oscillator value to be honest, I'm going to try the subzero fix instead so it never really crossed my mind. Please do let me know if you find out one way or the other though, it would be nice to know for completion sake.

5. HaloSlayer255

I'll take you up on that offer for the comsoft files. Either a link here or a pm will work.

So by the sounds of the matrix pic fix it just shuts down the console after 3 seconds. The resistor seems to be a variable to adjust the length of time. So for the comsoft v4 it uses 6 wires, correct?

Will see if I can open a v9 soon to test this out.

Thanks in advance,
    HaloSlayer255

6. kel

kel Spirited Member

Ok everything you need should be at the bottom of the first post here apart from maybe the install diagram which can be found easily on google images: https://web.archive.org/web/2014102...orums/f110/comsoft-fix-v4-blue-led-out-35724/
    The same page does still exist on on the current site but for some reason the files are missing now.

I also noticed this post where someone else was looking into this which might have some helpful info: https://assemblergames.com/threads/laser-pic-fix-for-ps2-v9-v11.58365/

I just had a quick look and you are correct, the matrix fix only has 4 wires and relies on shutting down the PS2 for protection and yes it is 6 wires for the comsoft v4 fix.

It might also be a good idea to use the summ0ne resistor fix in conjunction otherwise the tracking coil could possibly burn out even without a mechacon crash. Hopefully it will work as well as it does for the v12 but there's no guarantee being as though the motor driver IC and laser are different to the ones in the v12. I am currently applying it to a v12 and taking measurements of the motor driver IC output at the coil so that when I get around to applying it to the v9 I can compare them but it may be a while before I get there as I have limited time at the moment.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  7. HaloSlayer255

Still have to dig out the v9 and v10 to test the locations. It's been storming off and on where I'm at and don't ant anything to fry out.

I wonder if it's possible to rework that circuit board comsoft uses, so we can replicate it. Also is L1and L2 any particular order? From what I can tell in the picture of the PCB, they join back with a trace and a resistor. If that is the case then L1 and L2 may be independent of it's connections. I. E. L1 can be soldered to the mechacon leg or the la6508 lifted leg 16 and the opposite connection for L2.

This will be the first time I attempt to use PCB software, the pic chips I currently have are through hole but could be made smd with some delicate leg shaping it looks like.

Hope the weather is okay where you are Kel,
    HaloSlayer255

8. kel

kel Spirited Member

I'm also taking my time before getting onto the v9 that I have but due to lack of time in my case and I chose to get the v12 out of the way first too.

I can make up a PCB design that matches the original in no time which you could use at OSHpark or another PCB prototype manufacturer unless you would prefer to gain the experience by doing one yourself?

The connection points of L1 and L2 are important. On the v12 L1 connects to the motor driver IC mute pin and L2 connects to the mechacon IC using vias located near by and then the trace between the 2 vias has the be cut to disconnect them. On the v9/v10 you wouldn't need to cut any traces as the only option is to lift the motor driver IC mute pin anyway due to the trace being inaccessible at that point from what I remember when tracing it out. You will need to make sure that L1 is connected to the lifted pin and L2 is connected to the mechacon IC in that order though and IIRC there is a test point pad right next to the motor driver IC that leads back to the mechacon IC pin.

Thanks. The weather is quite good here at the moment for a change, hoping that it says that way until next winter but I'm not holding my breath as it rarely stays the same from week to week.

9. HaloSlayer255

Hello again Kel,

Thanks for the info on the L1 and L2 connections. Might storm again today so I'm organizing a few things and scanning a few papers before the storm hits.

In the folder with the comsoft v4 hex file, I found a .sch file, I guess we could reuse that. Might try to make a board on my own just to get some experience with prototyping boards.

Will keep updates going as they occur.

Have a good rest of the day,
    HaloSlayer255

10. kel

kel Spirited Member

Ok no problem. Bear in mind that the .sch file that you mentioned is not quite finished and was just a rough mock up according to that thread. It still needs a resistor before the LED, a cap between Vcc and Gnd and also some pads for the wires to be the same as the original PCB.

I've just finished the v12 with Modbo 4 and Summ0ne's tracking coil and subzero fix and everything is working as expected. The tracking coil voltage has been reduced by about 0.6Vpp and in a simulated mechacon crash the tracking coil starts to shut down at just under 23ms which is less than half of the 50ms that the subzero and comsoft fixes claim to be on the safe side to avoid false alarms. I've tested all media types though and haven't had any problems.

Now onto the v9...

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  11. HaloSlayer255

Hello Kel,

Looks like I'm running into a bit of a snag with that .sch file. Why a capacitor between Vcc and GND, is it to reduce signal noise? Would it be possible to add holes to make a strain relief for the wires? Kinda a thing that might be useful. Perhaps I could start with a blank schematic and attempt it again.

Wish me luck,
    HaloSlayer255

12. kel

kel Spirited Member

Yes, it's just a 0.1uf decoupling cap to reduce noise. Pretty much standard practice to put one as close as possible to any ICs. You could probably get away without it, I mean people were installing these PIC chips in PSXs for years without a decoupling cap without any issues but if you're going to the trouble of making a PCB then no reason not to add one. I suppose you could add holes for strain relief but it's not really necessary. I've never added any strain relief to any modding boards in the past as once they are installed and the console is reassembled it's highly unlikely that they would move in any way, as long as you have secured the PCB of course.

13. HaloSlayer255

Made some progress on the circuit board files, they are attached.

Will try to see what else I can do, or is this circuit almost identical to what is shown in the install diagrams?

Thanks in advance,
    HaloSlayer255

Attached Files:

14. kel

kel Spirited Member

It's getting there. You should put the cap parallel between Vcc and Gnd and the resistor for L2 is 10k IIRC. You might also want to change the cap, resistors and maybe the LED to 0805 or 0603 depending on which you prefer for hand soldering and make the pad sizes a bit smaller to fit the PCB.

15. HaloSlayer255

Looks like you were right on that resistor, preparing the new files soon.

---Edit---
    New files are attached, they might have the same name as before, just a heads up.
    ---End Edit---

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 2:12 PM
  16. kel

kel Spirited Member

Looks great. Just a couple of suggestions are that the LED is still through hole and needs to be changed to SMD and also the pads seem to have got bigger instead of smaller. If you look on the original PCB they are somewhere between the size of an 0603-0805 resistor.

17. HaloSlayer255

Thanks for the double check, will get that started now. Will see if I can route all the traces too, for some reason when I tried it on this attempt the traces weren't aligned properly. Will see if I can add some silk screen to this as well.

Files are attached, will try to add silkscreen to it later.

Thanks for the tips Kel,
    HaloSlayer255

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 5:17 PM
  18. kel

kel Spirited Member

Looks good to me, I can't see anything wrong with the traces. Once the silkscreen is finished it will be very close in comparison to the original PCB.

19. HaloSlayer255

Got the files finished kel, just need to export as gerber files. The new revision of files are attached. I even made one board with a GND pour.

Attached Files:

20. kel

kel Spirited Member

Unfortunately there is still a bit that needs to be done before it will be ready to export, mainly to do with the silkscreen. I don't have enough time tonight to list them but I will have another look in the morning and let you know what I noticed.