RULES MARKETPLACE RULES as of July 2016

Discussion in 'The ASSEMblergames Marketplace' started by ASSEMbler, May 2, 2005.

1. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

The marketplace rules are getting ignored quite a lot of late. ASSEMbler keeps you updated in the title of the sticky as to when they were last updated, so there's really no excuse for this.

Hopefully, this bump will bring the topic to (unread) prominence and more people will read it.

As a reminder, you have to have been a member for three months and have at least 50 posts to sell. Spam posting to get to 50 posts WILL be noticed and action will be taken.

BASIC REQUIREMENTS

• A set price. NO asking for offers. Just set a price you'd be happy with and put ONO if unsure. Or post a price check.
      • A validation photo, or photos. This MUST have:
        1. EVERY item you're selling
        2. Your user name
        3. The name of the forum
        4. The date

VALIDATION PHOTOS
    Validation photos MUST include every item you are selling and be clear - the item must be visible and the validation legible. You're welcome to take one (or a few) group shots if you are selling a variety of items as verification. If you then want to include close-up photos, they don't need verification so long as the item is covered by your variation shot.

Some people are saying "I thought a photo was only needed for items over a certain value?" Sorry - not since September 2013! The rules were updated again in June 2014, so you should all be on top of this by now.

A NOTE ON IMAGE USE
    [EDIT 2017: Due to the last rule change, hotlinking is not permitted in sales - upload your photos to the site. Thanks!]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    kennypecheur likes this.
  2. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

Rules have changed. Please note the changes in regards to Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

3. BomberDino

BomberDino Robust Member

Is it against the rules to post something here and list it on eBay at the same time?

4. retro

Of eBay - yes. You enter into an agreement with eBay whereby you broker them to act as your agent and agree to sell to the highest bidder. Pulling out because you have used another platform to sell would be poor form and considered an avoidance of fees by eBay.

5. comicbooknerd

comicbooknerd Spirited Member

Just want to clarify the above post is just the case with ebay auctions not buy it now listings? They can be ended at any point by the seller without breaching ebay rules.

6. BomberDino

BomberDino Robust Member

comicbooknerd, you can end auctions, too, as long as no one has bid yet. Also, I couldn't find the specific wording in eBay's policy that disallows listing on eBay and another site simultaneously. I found lots of community forums posts warning not to, but nothing official.

Another question: Are we allowed to offer only Local Pickup (no shipping) in the Marketplace here?

7. retro

Wrong. Just because the item only has a Buy it Now price, doesn't mean you can list it on eBay then remove it. You're effectively using them as free advertising... and you'll get charged a fee still.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/end_early.html

Look harder - see above:

If you don't want your item to sell - sure! Looking at your IP addresses, it's a town I've never heard of apparently in the suburbs of a big city... with the nearest other city I've heard of an hour away. Regardless of where you were in the World, you're advertising to 22,000 people and telling 99% of them you won't sell to them. I see about 6 people in the history of the forum that have mentioned that big city.

8. BomberDino

BomberDino Robust Member

That's the UK policy, but it looks similar to what we have in the US. Based on community forum posts, eBay removed the wording specifically forbidding simultaneous selling via other avenues.

In my opinion, they are being intentionally vague on that page with wording like "Valid reasons for ending a listing early include" (not providing invalid reasons) and "We strongly discourage sellers to end listings early" (not explicitly forbidding.) Yes, they prohibit "Cancelling bids and ending a listing early in order to sell the item off-eBay", but what if you don't have any bids.

Before, eBay explicitly forbid it with "You're not allowed to: ... List an item that you're simultaneously selling outside of eBay." It was clear as day before. Seems open to interpretation now. They probably had to accommodate some of their bigger sellers. Or maybe everybody was doing it anyway, so they just went with the flow.

In the case being discussed here -- listing simultaneously on AssemblerGames and eBay -- I don't see how this is using eBay for free advertising, either. (I understand other cases where it could be, though.) Also, in the states you don't get charged a fee if no one has bid yet (see chart): http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

9. retro

The very link you gave to prove the fees states:

It also states that the two valid reasons are lost/broken item, or a mistake in listing. NOT that you have sold it elsewhere. It's simple - you enter a contract by listing on eBay. It is an auction site NOT a classifieds.

How do you NOT see that it is free listing? Make your eBay name isellgames.com - people are going to look at your website. Put your phone number (that's allowed) - people call you and you say "hey, I have this listed on Assembler for cheaper!"

Just to stop you arguing the toss:

YOU MAY NOT LIST AN ITEM FOR SALE HERE THAT YOU LIST ON EBAY. USE THE EBAY THREAD.

10. BomberDino

BomberDino Robust Member

Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating that members should double list their items. Simply, I'm not convinced of your point-of-view regarding eBay's policy. We could probably go back and forth forever, so making it an explicit AssemblerGames rule is a great solution.

And you did, so that's that. Plus I learned what "arguing the toss" means.

11. retro

Yup... it's not just a site for idle video game banter... many people actually learn stuff here, too! :D

12. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

change xbox 360

typo wii u text fix

13. ASSEMbler

Changes for June 2016 are in RED

1. All items sold must be accompanied by a picture with validation! Validation = your forum name, the site's name AND date visible in the picture. (on a piece of paper, index card, etc.). Validation must be clear and legible.
    2. All pictures must be yours and not off the internet.
    3. No third party sales. You must be the owner.
    4. Please use the region prefixes for your sales threads.
    5. Limit your sales threads to one active thread.
    6. Items that have been repaired or altered must state that fact. Non-original cases and shells (Swapped OEM shells), non-oem cases and shells (Aftermarket) must be stated as such.
    7. All sale posts must contain English. The English description should be first, followed by any other languages.
    8. Hotlinks aka Referral links are forbidden.
    9. Hotlinks aka Referral image hosting is forbidden.
    10. All images must be uploaded to the site itself, as third party sites allow altering of images after posting.

14. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Huh so no more off site image hosting? Makes sense.

15. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Uh oh, Yesterday I posted a sale thread with images hosted in imgur. Is this something I should be changing?

16. XboxSurgeon

XboxSurgeon Site Supporter Since 2013

Well it's June 2016 as of me posting this... So yeah, I would assume so. Use something like photobucket or something.

17. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I posted it May 31st, lol. Didn't know if anything posted before June was "Grandfathered" in so to speak. According to the new rules Photobucket wouldn't work either, right? It says upload directly to the site.

I'll probably just re upload to the site, it's not a big deal. Just have to figure out how =P

18. ASSEMbler

Use "upload a file" or "media" tab at the top to make an album.

If you make an album you can use the pictures there in any thread just by pulling it up, versus uploading it for every thread you want it in.

speedyink and XboxSurgeon like this.
  19. gaming247

gaming247 Site Supporter 2015

*deleted
    Never mind. Just noticed i didn't even follow my own advice. Carry on...

20. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017