Mario Takes America: Phillips Cd-i

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Nitrosoxide, Dec 17, 2006.

1. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Definitely a good idea. This is pretty important in the history of Mario. It'd be nice to get some sort of confirmation that the videos are okay to post, but you've given us an awesome amount of information already. I really shouldn't ask for anything else. Sounds like the project was really ambitious. Wonder how it would have ended up on better hardware.

2. partspitmike

partspitmike Member

As I recall more around the end. I remember when I was calling to try to get my last paycheck, the producer said that the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce now owns all the assets.

I think the producer's son is online somewhere.. maybe he would give me a go ahead to show the "Making of" Video on Youtube as it does not show any game footage. The producers brother is a famous lawyer in Toronto... I am not going to do anything without family permission

That is all I have from 2 years... never though to sneak out any disks with art on them. Yes the project was very ambitious and worked well on paper.
    Too bad it was a video game : >)

Getta Robo likes this.
  3. SO Remixer

SO Remixer Lovely Sweet Dream

Quote: "I think the producer's son is online somewhere.."

I remember visiting his blog in search of info about the game (if I can find the blog I'll link it here). I can see if I can PM you Greenspan's son's email so you can see if he'd be alright with you posting some stuff about the game.

By chance, are these VHS tapes you're talking about the same ones shown at the New York CDi 3 conference and the 1994 Winter CES? Also, do you still plan on posting some pictures?

4. mononess

mononess Member

The last year someone sent a couple of screens that "should" be from Mario Takes America to Unseen64, but i still don't know if they are real, they look really fake. Maybe it's time to post them so partspitmike can see if he recognizes them?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  5. mononess

mononess Member

Getta Robo likes this.
  6. pato

pato Resolute Member

7. piplup10036

piplup10036 Gutsy Member

Good read here!, thanks partspitmike!

8. LiamR

LiamR Newly Registered

Hi guys,

Liam from Unseen64 here. Some excellent information here. Thank you for your contribution, partspitmike. I would love to see those photos of the photography if you still have them.

9. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Photos of photos, eh? ;)

Your post got auto-moderated, for some reason... it's usually links, but you didn't post any! Strange. This might mean you have similar issues with your next few posts - they'll get approved eventually by a moderator, though.

10. MBMM

I would also like to see anything I can. A game this ambitious is extremely interesting. I'll definitely keep checking on this.

11. ijustregistered

ijustregistered Newly Registered

Thank you for this wonderful place and the wealth of information it contains. Would love to see more from you partspitmike :)
    Sincerely,
    Yours truly

12. SO Remixer

Getta Robo and ItsMeMario like this.
  13. retro

As per above, you got auto-moderated SO Remixer ;)

Wow... it was nice of them to take Mario and Luigi on the shoot!

[​IMG]

Getta Robo likes this.
  14. SO Remixer

I just wonder what should be the next step in trying to locate any pictures, videos, or even a beta of the game?

My theory is that the group or individual that handled this repossession case probably didn't care about video games, meaning unlike the developers of Mario Takes America who have recently come out and talked about their game, the employees of that bank aren't gonna find us, we're gonna have to find them and hope that they some how, some way have a copy of the game. My other guess about the game's where abouts is that it the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce still has the game in its "vault."

15. partspitmike

partspitmike Member

Any more questions?

16. retro

How far did production of the game actually get before it was canned? Was anything playable? How did it play?

Can you tell us anything about the development team? How many were there? Did anyone go on to better things?

17. MBMM

I would also love to hear answers to any of those questions. Partspitmike, please come back if you could! It would be great to hear from you.

18. Tchoin

Tchoin Site Patron

Bumping the thread just for the sake of mentioning it got featured on Did You Know Gaming (at minute 3:36):

http://youtu.be/3YEC2isxtVo?t=3m36s

[video=youtube_share;3YEC2isxtVo]http://youtu.be/3YEC2isxtVo?t=3m36s[/video]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  19. ForumTheory

ForumTheory Newly Registered

I came here from that video as well. It looks like that developer's post was quite recent, perhaps he will check back here and if the video generates enough interest perhaps someone will be found who is willing to pursue this further. Hopefully someone will know who to contact and will be able to get permission for the videos to posted, and some more info about this can come to light.

But that's just a theory... a Forum Theory!

20. bombman

bombman Rising Member

This is news to me. I thought Nintendo had already licensed their IP to Philips. Did they not want to honor their contractual agreement?