Manhunt 2 (Not Leaked) Beta

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by 41hc1, May 24, 2013.

1. 41hc1

41hc1 Member

This isn't about the version that was leaked, I'm referring to an even earlier, complete version. Manhunt 2 went through a studio change at Rockstar Games. The original studio in charge of development was Rockstar Vienna. Rockstar Vienna completed the game in three years, and got shut down. Rockstar London took control of the game, and completely redesigned it. The leaked version was from Rockstar London.

I'm part of a mod that is restoring removed content http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgMM1hbGHBQ, but it's not close to what was in R* Vienna's version. There are things left over in the games files that were probably in R* Vienna's version, but most of it can't be restored. I believe everything on this list was in R* Vienna's version: http://manhunt.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Cut_Manhunt_2_Content. Also, everything here was in Vienna's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xcvSiV0yAo. Rockstar Vienna's version was completely different than Rockstar London's.

Does Rockstar Vienna's completed version still exist? I think some screenshots and trailers from R* London contained part of R* Vienna's work. No one from the Vienna team was even credited on the final version: http://www.intelligent-artifice.com/2007/11/rockstar-viennas-missing-credits-for-manhunt-2.html.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  2. Megahoff

Megahoff Newly Registered

There are remnants of a very different game left within its code, too bad there is not a lot that could be salvaged.
    Evidence suggests there were at least 180 different executions created for the game, of which only about 100 made it into the final game.
    Some (about 30) of the animations are still left in the PS2 leak as well as in the regular PC version and it is possible to re-activate the executions. (even across different platforms!)
    For example: the Dildo executions - which were long rumored to exist - actually do exist in the PS2 code and can be ported to the PC version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5PBFnyCK24

In terms of lost audio, the PC version contains by far the most material since it has everything in a global fmod soundbank that was never cleaned up like the other versions.
    Hundreds of lines and dialogue bits that were never used can be found, amongst them almost all the missing execution sounds and dialogue that leads to the conclusion that the story structure was once altogether very different.
    The original Vienna build also had more levels, bonus stages and a variety of cheats but 98% of those missing assets cannot be found in any of the available versions.
    It is such a shame that this Vienna build seems to be lost, it was an altogether different game - more so than many had suspected.

3. pato

pato Resolute Member

According to one of the programmers, Manhunt 2 was finished back in the summer of 2006, maybe months to weeks before vienna being closed, even an xbox port was made.

http://garethrwhite.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/manhunt-2/

He said that the final product looks like the same thing they had developed.

Not sure if anyone interested in the beta looked at project manhunt forum, but users said that the unused audio and story files showed that Leo was meant to be an real person rather than a personality, so I believe that the personality thing was a last minute decision and Rockstar London tried to change that without having to rewrite most of the story, no wonder why I thought that Leo was indeed real.

4. pepster98

pepster98 Member

Oh god, if manhunt 2 wasn't bad enough lol.
    I heard over the coarse of the development that they removed some content due to fear of AO rating (although granted AO on the pc).

also at the end of the game (good ending) Danny lamb is informed of his real name, David Joiner. David Joiner was the beta name of Danny...

5. 41hc1

41hc1 Member

I bet Microsoft didn't want Manhunt 2 to be on their console, even though Manhunt 1 was on the Original Xbox. Yeah, I discovered that Leo was actually a real person, rather than just a personality in Danny's head. He was also with Danny in every level. Some of that is still in the final version. Like the intro cutscene for the Assassination level.

I never knew David Joiner was the beta name for Danny. They removed a lot of executions that should have been in the game. Most (if not all) were fully motion captured, and all have audio.

6. Helegad

Helegad PowerPC

Leo was real up until his "soul" was transplanted into Daniel's body. That required Leo to die.

7. shifted

shifted Robust Member

Wow never looked into it before, all this new info... hope the original finds it's way to release!

There must be someone contactable who worked on the project that may have something? I have no idea how video game companies work, but the people would have been put onto other projects within Rockstar? Surely they'd take a copy of it with them?

8. Helegad

Helegad PowerPC

I exchanged emails with Jurie Horneman, a producer of Manhunt 2. He said that absolutely everything they had worked on was seized when R* Vienna was shut down. Unless somebody had taken home a workable copy in some form, I don't think this one will ever see the light of day, especially after what happened to the guy who leaked the beta.

---

"I haven’t played the released version myself, but it sounds like it’s virtually identical to the PS2 & Xbox version we finished back in summer 2006, apart from the edits needed to comply with the ESRB, obviously." - Gareth White, programmer on Manhunt 2

He might be the only source I know of that does not believe the released version is much different from the released version, but then again, he hasn't played the game so I take his word with a very small grain of salt. R* developed the game for Wii, PSP, and PS2 and scrapped the Xbox version for some reason. I find it hard to believe that they didn't totally mess around with the game in its entirety given the state of the final product, which does not seem refined at all, nor does it have a definite sense of artistic direction; I believe it was developed as a B-movie/grindhouse tribute, as opposed to the snuff film style in the first game, but the answer is not clear as with a lot of other, story-oriented questions raised in the game.

An example: The drug in Daniel's house which is the objective in Ghosts (level 2); who put it there? The case is all shiny and undamaged, sitting in a burned cupboard in a burned house. Daniel was locked up after his/Leo's killing spree six years earlier. Leo is the only one who knew it was there, but there is no way he could have had it put in there (he lived in Danny's head and I'm guessing Daniel had very few visitors, all of which would have been Project scientists such as White and Judy, and was heavily sedated for most of the six years, being a serial-killing headcase with no self-control) or put it in there himself.

9. pato

pato Resolute Member

Jurie was surprised to see that two of his levels, the Sorority House and the Musem wasn't in the final game, he said that during the development the levels and story changed multiple times, and it was hard to say what was "intended"

He don't remember about the Museum, and the states that in Sorority House you would scare a Girl student after you infiltrate the place, and then do a Enviromental Execution in the Skylight of the room she was.

He also said that the team wasn't rigorous about removing what would be cut from the game, hence why there is many things as unused weapons, executions and sounds. When Rockstar/T2 decided that the Xbox port wouldn't get released, the programmers pushed the team to maintain the development, it wasn't expensive and it was much easier to debug in the console.

10. 41hc1

41hc1 Member

Jurie said it was their work, but rearranged and modified. Although, he has also not played the final version. Just look at all the executions that were removed. R* London must have used R* Vienna's version when they started development. Maybe some former programmer or designer has it stashed somewhere.

The Museum was basicially a showcase for all the environmental executions. Would have been nice if they included that as a bonus level or something.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  11. 41hc1

41hc1 Member

Early ideas for story iterations had the player being a religious fanatic, with god talking to the player instead of Starkweather. That most likely would have caused some outrage

12. MattyHusted

MattyHusted Rising Member

Is there any more information about the Xbox Version?

13. pato

pato Resolute Member

Jurie said that even with the Xbox por being cancelled, the programmers pushed the team to continue because it was easier and cheaper to debug (Like i've said on my post above).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  14. 41hc1

41hc1 Member

From a former R* Vienna/London programmer:

15. pato

pato Resolute Member

I believe that the Xbox port of Bully was cancelled at the same time.

16. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

I know Bully made it out of the studio anyway, I remember year ago at least one or two collectors having it.

17. MattyHusted

MattyHusted Rising Member

Bully Xbox was gonna be my next question lol

18. pato

pato Resolute Member

Bully was developed by Rockstar Vancouver, not sure whether at some point Vienna was working on a port, probably not.

My guess is that the reason for Vienna being closed was that they were working solely on Manhunt 2 for two years and there was no clear definition, Max Payne 2 for xbox was ther last title in November 2003, plus the fact that Rockstar North decided to port their games for Xbox on their own (Manhunt and GTA SA).

Playable Xbox builds? Did they got far in development? The port was cancelled right when the game rose from the grave in August 2006 after a long hiatus from the E3 2005.

19. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Yes, it did. I dont know what state it was in at this point, but they exist hah

20. Hardak

Hardak Active Member

It would be really cool to see the port of Bully on the Xbox.