Making selfboot bleemcast games?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by _shameless_, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives Rising Member

If you need to burn DC discs one session at a time, CDRWIN is the way to go. Unlike cdrecord, it doesn't add an annoying pregap to mess up the LBA of the second session. Even though cdrecord has an option to disable the pregap, it's never worked for me: the LBA is always off by 2.

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Who cares really about that 4kB? Plus, some drives back then had problems with 150 sectors tracks, so 152 was a good idea for compatibility.

I'll take the flexibility of command line over saving 2 sectors any day.

3. emsef

emsef Member

Of course. No dice with Daemon Tools, on macOS at least.

Now focussing on an XP Virtual Machine...
    I had some luck tonight with Phantom Drive, the batch files worked perfectly.
    -msinfo returned the expected track information. No errors.

I'll try burning the resulting image tomorrow, using Virtual CD.

Both of those italicised apps are by H+H Software GmbH. I am not affiliated :rolleyes:
    http://www.phantom-drive.com
    http://www.virtualcd-online.com

4. _shameless_

_shameless_ Active Member

hmm good to know i'll give that a shot myself

EDIT: any luck? i keep getting this when i try running the script.bat
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    fafadou likes this.
  5. Aleron Ives

I'm not talking about the space saved. I'm talking about LBA protections that require the second session to start at a particular LBA, and cdrecord messing up the dummy file padding. Sure, I could reduce the dummy size by 4KiB to compensate for cdrecord's stupidity, but I want perfect session sizes! ;)

fafadou likes this.
  6. emsef

emsef Member

I only managed/attempted to cdrecord to the phantom drive, not either of the drives provided by virtual cd.

I can't figure out how to use Virtual CD at all, it's way too complicated. But apparently it will let me burn a phantom drive to a physical disc.

7. emsef

emsef Member

Do you have a guide or tips on using CDRWIN for multi session discs? It's been decades.

8. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

If this was the leaked Bleemcast beta I would just stick to original PS1 hardware or emulation on something other than Dreamcast
    Back in the day I tested a few games and they all ran pretty bad

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

It's exactly as hard to compute for the dummy with or without the 2 extra sectors.

And if you're doing data/data, you can skip the burning using my pack and everyone is happy forever.

10. emsef

emsef Member

Thanks for that. We'll plough on regardless if it's OK with you.

Bad news for Phantom Drive:
    http://download.hh-software.com/download/PhantomDrive/PhantomDrive-Manual.pdf

Anthony817 likes this.
  11. -=FamilyGuy=-

There could be a way to build multisession CDI from the ground up, but I lack in knowledge of the particular format and in time to study it. So for now, the best approach is still to burn a CD-RW and then image it.

Anthony817 likes this.
  12. Aleron Ives

I've always used the Echelon tutorial to pick the settings.

For the first session, make sure "Open New Session" is checked, then uncheck it for the second session. This will allow you to make a merged data/data disc where the second session can access files stored in the first session, assuming you made the second ISO with the -M option in mkisofs.

13. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

if you guys get it up and running, please do PSX doom, that port was awesome

i know the ISO i have is multiple .bin with a single .cue so maybe it won't work

14. emsef

emsef Member

CDRWIN is no-go for me, because I only have a USB writer and it doesn't recognise it.

...onwards!

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  15. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

The only games that can be done are ones confirmed working. I don't even remember if that one was compatible or not? You can check a few lists out here.

http://whipassgaming.com/genesisreviews/Bleemcast/bleemcastcompatibility.htm

And here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030415004331/http://bleemcast.no-ip.com:80/?sort=play

Oh I see looks like they have this to say about Doom.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Final Doom USA
    Playability : Graphics : Sound :
    graphics all in pieces and see through. plays ok tho.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why a lot of us want it though, and for good reason. :)

fafadou likes this.
  16. emsef

emsef Member

So I've just played Rakugaki Showtime on my Dreamcast, and it was glorious.

I used an existing Bleemed game (Crash Team Racing, yellow Bleem title screen)

1. load existing Bleemed game
    2. open the DC lid
    3. pressed the X+Y+A+B+START combo to soft reset DC
    4. Bleem title screen now flashing waiting for new game
    5. insert verified working PSX retail/silver disc of your chosen game
    6. close the lid
    7. PSX game loads... enjoy!

In other news I feel I am getting close with being able to burn new self-contained Bleemed discs through modern GUI apps only.

Anthony817 likes this.
  17. -=FamilyGuy=-

Ehh... No?

You always could use a boot disc to boot the bleem beta...

Those "bleemed" disc are nothing more that the bleem beta put on a second session after a PSX ISO was burned on the first. This way when bleem is loaded, it reads the first session of its own disc and boots it.

OFC you can then go back to bleem (not a soft reset btw) and swap for another game...

18. emsef

emsef Member

I'm trying hard to find something positive, new or useful in your post above.

19. -=FamilyGuy=-

See the edit at the end.

It's relatively easy to do and it's not new?

While I applaud your enthusiasm, you precedent post conclusion wasn't justified...

EDIT:

Damn I had read "In other words, ..." Instead of "In other news, ...", hence my confusion.

Sorry if I did sound like a jackass, I thought you meant that you playing that game implied progress on the GUI front.

Thanks for staying polite with my unintended jackass self. Mea Culpa.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  20. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

I haven't attempted to comprehend all of the discussion in this thread, so I haven't figured out why someone is trying to do this, but I sort of did a crappy version of this back in 2004. I burned multiple discs with the old common 0,11700 LBA, ripped them as CDI, and figured out where the 2nd session track data started and ended. I then made two separate files (header.bin and footer.bin) such that I could assemble a valid self boot CDI image by building my data track for that LBA and converting it to 2336 byte sectors with ECC/EDC intact, then it was just a matter of combining header + data + footer and updating the footer to properly set the size of the data session. I built a bunch of not-burnable 100+ minute CDI's for games with nothing removed/downsampled this way.

I can't really provide any of the assets to do this anymore, but if someone wants to do something similar and chop up a CDI: Once you find the 'header' and 'footer' portions, (e.g. everything before and after the data track that you build with mkisofs then convert to 2336 sector size) the size of the 2nd session is 5094 bytes into the footer. It's the number of sectors in your data track file, plus 2. So ((data.size / 2336)+2).

If you're chopping up a valid CDI image, nothing else needs to change for it to work in a virtual drive.

Anthony817 likes this.