Making a Dual Shock 2 a little more like a Dual Shock

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by decamail, Sep 16, 2009.

1. decamail

decamail Newly Registered

Here is the situation, I play emulators on my xbox using a psx to xbox converter.
    I used to plug in it a dual shock 1 pad, I recently purchased a Dual shock 2 because it's much more light weight but the problem is because of the analog feature, the xbox only registers a button as pushed when you push it all the way through, which basically means you have to push F-ing hard, making it impossible to play.
    I'd like to find a way to deactivate this analog feature to make it more like a dual shock 1 (buttons are pushed or not pushed but are never pushed halfway through) but I can't find any information on Dual Shock 2 pads besides how to use it on a psp.
    Could someone help me out?

2. defor

defor Intrepid Member

I'd say your best bet might involve swapping the DS1 board into the DS2....

I was unaware of a large weight difference- I'll have to check that out.. probably the motors or similar which could be swapped out...

I'm a personal fan of the analog controller and totally feel your pain as ps2/3 don't play fair with it in some games and I'm sick and tired of having to remap all controls to digital - style sensitivity

3. beretta85

beretta85 Peppy Member

how about you just take apart the PS1 dual shock and remove those huge weights that cause the rumble?

I'm sure that dual shock doesn't work with the emulators, and even if it does, rumble in any video game is awkward and unnecessary (the thing you're probably holding in your lap vibrates...)

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Vibration works fine in emulators :p

5. decamail

yeah, vibration works fine in emulators and in games as well (sould calibur 2 is so much better with a PS/PS2 pad than the bulky xbox pads), and beretta85 not everybody agrees with you about rumble, I personnaly like it, and many people do.
    Also I have only one dual shock 1 and I would like to keep it intact because I can't afford buying another one right now. So I'd rather mess with this dual shock 2 i don't really use because it's not suitable for emulators rather than mess with a dual shock 1 I need and can't replace right now.

I'm not expecting to be given a step by step tutorial on how to do it, but any documentation on PS2 pads would be very useful.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  6. aryssoR

aryssoR Peppy Member

+1 for rumble being pointless.

I remove the motors from every controller.

Can't say I've felt any more immersed because my hands were being shook, and for wireless controllers the batteries will last MUCH longer

7. decamail

ok, I got it, rumble sucks.
    If I swear I'll remove the motors, will someone tell me how to get rid of the analog controls?

8. defor

defor Intrepid Member

swap in ps1 board... unless i'm mistaken, it will fit...

getting it to work on an original board would either require new logic at the controller, or new logic in the xbox adapter methinks...

other possibility- put conductive metal pads under the membranes where they touch the board possibly shorting better?