Mac - What can I do with it?

Discussion in 'Computer Gaming Forum' started by Twimfy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

So your comparing a 15" widescreen laptop thats around 1" thick with a tower pc? How does that work out?

2. mairsil

mairsil Officer at Arms

Sorry, I just couldn't afford the third-degree burns required to use a Macbook Pro... :noooo:

3. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

Well, I can't defend all Mac ranges and the new thin slimline Macbook Air is such a product. Wafer thin, lovely design however overly priced and thin on power too.

4. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Mine runs well enough though i dont really tend to keep any laptops on my balls anyways.

5. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

ball-top

6. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

Oh, here was me thinking 'burnt' price wise...

Never had my balls cooked by any laptops either. Perhaps people should use commonsense, but I know that can't be purchased along with the computer! :110:

7. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Common sense, the elluding sixth sense that many folks lack! lol

8. Tomcat

Tomcat Familiar Face

Could always sell it and get a proper computer.

9. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

The Macbook Pro isnt really that hot. Theres a reason why manufacturers dont use the word laptop anymore, none of them are meant to be used on your lap!

10. mairsil

mairsil Officer at Arms

Yeah, it's not like you could cook an egg on it or anything...

11. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Thats not a macbook pro ;)

12. mairsil

mairsil Officer at Arms

That's true; a Macbook Pro would have cooked an omelet instead.

13. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Dont think mine would cook anything but at the end of the day its your choice of how you use your laptop. I Use a desk 95% of the time and its ok. The other 5% its on my lap and never gets too hot to keep it there.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  14. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

between having a MacBook on my lap and my 360 acting as a space heater, my room gets quite toasty. :)

15. devzone

devzone Robust Member

Thermite ?

Actually I have no good ideas for your computer sorry :(

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  16. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Oh yes! I'm in the attic, with insulation in all the walls - the wool stuff and that hard sponge board with aluminium on either side! Not only does the heat from the house get trapped in my room, but I can see a 5 degree boost in temperature when I turn on my laptop, LCD TV and 360 together!

Put cheese on it and cook it :110: Ohh, we're still talking about the computer! :lol:

I have to agree with what Parris said. Basically, the choice of Mac vs. PC is down to personal preference. With the Intel Macs, it is now quite tempting to have a Mac as you can dual boot. If you're playing games, you may want to take this option as Mac compatability in games is still fairly limited. And the screens are lovely! However, if you're going to dev, then things are more split. Macs were once the preferred medium for audio and graphics work - many still favour them, but PCs can do just as good a job nowadays. And if you're coding, you'll more than likely want to be running a PC.

17. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

I've been thinking about getting a Mac because I'm so fed up with windows problems, but is the hardware part what keeps me from getting one.

Before you could justify the premium you paid for a Mac since it was considerably different from regular PCs, but now that they're all Intel-powered you're paying a premium on a regular PC with a trendy case and common Foxconn components.

I was considering a Macbook but for the same price I can get a midend XPS with a bigger screen, metallic case and dedicated GPU. The iMac has a decent price considering the case and overall design, but I think they've some overheating problems.

If its OSX what you want you can get it installed in any PC nowadays, from and old PIII to the EEE. And since Apple still retains the right to tell you you can and what you cannot put on your system (they may be X86 but you still need special -and more expensive- components) thats another reason to install OSX on a custom made PC.

If I had a lot of disposable income I would try the Mac, but thats not the case. I've blowed money on stuff I didn't need on the past, and I dont want to make the same mistake again.

Playing starcraft in korea is mandatory, you could get expelled from the country if you dont!

Mac-pwned!:lol:

Nah but seriously, you can right-click with the mighty mouse, but not in the laptops.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  18. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

2 Points:
    On a laptop right click is 2 fingers on touchpad and click, or just tap 2 fingers. Piece of piss.

as for not wanting to buy one, it's understandable, and its the reason I am currently running OS X on my normal PC. Kalyway (google/search torrent sites) makes it all really easy, but it is of course technically illegal by circumventing the EULA by not installing on a mac. Nonetheless, it lets you try it out, and if you have common hardware mac-wise (intel CPU, intel chipset) should be pretty stable.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a mac if they had one which fitted my needs, and I'd even pay a premium for one, but until there is a desktop mac without a built in screen between the pro and mini, I'll be using OSX86.

19. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Hey no prob with me buddy, I would (and may) do the same.

What apple should do first is cut the crap with the official components, since buying a Pro is already expensive enough without the extra stuff you have to throw at it (like a decent GPU).

Then release a lite-Pro, or better yet, a barebones unit.

About the EULA, from my point of view apple is already doing something illegal by forcing me to buy an overpriced piece of hardware just to use an OS I can run in any PC.

Anyway, I know about the trackpad rightclick, non-macs also have it, but IMO using virtual buttons on touchscreens is already unfamiliar, but in a touch surface? is just not the same than a real button.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  20. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

You can basically do everything on a mac except play a decent library of modern games (in OS-X) or use it in an office environment to do everything a PC could do. And pay a cheap price for it. :lol:

I know there is a Mac clone, but it's not the same. Also Apple won't let you update those officially (although there is a work around).

The thing I hate most about Apple is their commercials and the better-than-you attitude I tend to observe from Apple users. In the end, I have the last laugh.