Lot of 7 games all do not work

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by SmexyPenguin18, Nov 7, 2015.

1. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Newly Registered

Someone recently gave me 7 n64 games. They were all stored together for about 10 years, and I'm guessing weren't stored all that well. I get no picture and sound for all them.

I've taken each apart and throughly cleaned the contacts with qtips and alcohol. I've tried them on two n64s. If I try them on a gameshark, it gives he same error as when there is no cartridge.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Think I can get any of them working again?

2. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Check for broken traces on the PCB. There has been an issue in some N64 games where the black plastic dust protector cause stress on the board and can cut traces. Maybe that happened to those games?

3. Kaicer

Kaicer Site Supporter 2014

You'll have to take them apart and check the pcb. If no one opened them before the might be dirty as hell.

4. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

Might sound stupid, but, are you sure they're the right region for your console?

5. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Hmmm I always find taking the game PCB out of the shell placing it on the edge of a table top and rubbing an eraser across the contacts and then finish off with rubbing alcohol works best

6. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

The Region thing may be a probleme, as said by AtomizerZero. But as N64 cartridges have a mechanical security to avoid region errors, the problem is probably something else.

The problem can be the PCB tracks (humidity caused by poor storage can be a reason too).

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

PAL and Japanese carts are mechanically interchangeable, but since they have different CICs they won't work.

8. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that PAL and JAP carts are mechanically interchangeable. I have only tryed US carts on PAL system. Thanks ;)

9. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Yep they are. Of course Japanese carts won't work on a PAL console because of the CIC. If you were to get the Japanese cart's PCB into a US console, the game would run fine since our N64s use the same CIC.

kennypecheur likes this.