Lost & Found Vol. 3 story

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Madroms, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

After Lost & Found Vol. 2 story, you can read the L&F Vol. 3 story at http://www.satakore.com

Deep Fear US proto and one "Duck Video Tools" for the Sega Saturn...

2. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

I got the game in yesterday. Didn't test it yet but now I read your story.
    Madness. If Oldergames doesn't want to put any work into their releases they might as well don't do any. This is just silly (talking about the supposed duck disc being the Rebellion disc yet again).

Another thing; I had a deal with the guy with the Deep Fear prototype, somehow Oldergames bumped in and I never heart of him again..hmm.

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

You know, the lost and found discs are a load of shit in my opinion. A US version of Deep Fear that's identical on screen to the PAL version in every way. Ohh, whoopee !! Great stuff I must say (Sarcasm). Then another repeat disc.

Why don't they do something decent like a REAL unreleased game that nobody has played before? There are loads of Saturn games out there that they could release if they paid up for them. They'd easily make their money back as well if it was something decent but all they seem to release is pure crap that was probably canned for just that reason. Pen & Teller on the Mega CD anyone? I'm sure nobody would have paid for that game.

Yakumo

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  4. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

I'd be the first to admit the Saturn prototype market is LAME. There's hardly anything to be found, and only with serious negotiating a proto can head your way (or not). But even the biggest Saturns freaks out there (of which three are in this thread) aren't done any favours with the dreadful contents of these discs. Sure the first L&F was good enough, the second one was pretty much useless though and I honestly can't believe they messed up on the third volume AGAIN.

Maybe Madroms and I are partly to blame for this half-assed release of volume 3 because -completists we are- had no troubles shelling out for them.

Hopefully Oldergames will finally get their act together for volume 4 and come up with a decent disc for a change. Perhaps I might help them.

5. Yakumo

I sure hope so. The awful Lost & Found 2 was the very reason why I never bothered wih this release. I just couldn't seen any reason (apart from having the ultimate complete Saturn set) to own a US Beta that is identical to it's PAL counterpart.

Yakumo

6. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

After more testing on both EUR and US Saturn, it appears that the programmers did a 50 Hz optimisation for the released european Deep Fear, and the US proto doesn't have this optimisation. So the proto runs perfectly on US Saturn (compared to the EUR version which has some lines missing on screen when running on US Saturn).
    All the optimisations are made on the 1st.bin file.

I updated the story with this new information.

So this is a good news nevertheless.

7. Yakumo

Still not really worth it from a gaming stand point mind you :(

Yakumo

8. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Who'd rather choose a region hack of Deep Fear over more desirable lost Saturn gems, such as something playable from Virtua Fighter 3, Shenmue or even third party software like Destruction Derby 2 or Fighting Force?

9. Yakumo

I'd take any unreleased game over an identical version of a game already released apart from the region code. I'd even love to see the first build of Saturn Shin Shinobi Den over ANYTHING those guys have release on ANY platform.

Yakumo

10. Anthaemia.

I remember when OlderGames first started promising to release cancelled Saturn games, though in all honesty there is always going to be a larger market for complete and fully playable software as opposed to just tech demo or prototype titles. Then again, from what has been seen of Shenmue on the Saturn this was quite far into development - if only Sega would open its vaults and strike a deal to have real gems like that or perhaps even Saturn VF3 out in the open! After all, do we really need/want an English treatment of Deep Fear when the PAL edition already exists? Including this in Lost & Found Vol. 3 will only help to devalue the original for collectors, unlike other games I've mentioned that we've yet to play in any shape or form on a console... well, unless you count the Dreamcast versions, that is! These days, not even Sonic Xtreme appears to be worthy of release, now that it has been discovered very little of worth remains locked away. In my opinion, Clockwork Knight: Pengin Wars is now the only game that OlderGames should pursue, though I seriously doubt this will happen while they can get away handing out scraps based on translation and region hacks! Why not reprint Panzer Dragoon Saga or the rarer Working Designs titles? Maybe they could even produce new English variants of notorious import-only software? Radiant Silvergun, anyone? Even something like Grandia and the last two Shining Force III scenarios would be more well received. Yeah, right! Who's expecting a few leaked development tools and another hack-job for the inevitable fourth installment of this disappointing series, instead?

11. Bojay1997

Bojay1997 Spirited Member

Because Older Games is not a "legitimate" business. They are basically a roms dealer that happens to have access to someone who knows how to use Photoshop. No legitimate video game company is going to license them anything.

12. Yakumo

In that case how would you all like to buy a worth while disc set for me on the Saturn ? If Older Games can get away with piss poor designed covers and CDR discs then why can't I? Not that I make piss poor designed covers mind you :thumbsup:

Yakumo

13. Anthaemia.

Actually, your work on the Propeller Arena release outstripped most so-called professional efforts!

14. Yakumo

Yeah and that was pretty cack compared to some of my other stuff. talking about covers take a look at this.

[​IMG]

One day we will have the pleasure. Fingers crossed !

Yakumo