Lost Atomiswave Arcade Fighter “KenJu” Found by ShouTime

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Moo, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Gilgamesh and DeChief like this.
  2. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

3. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

He's the guy who can't dump Sonic Bros.

4. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Why not?

5. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

He got threatened by other collectors that they wouldn't send him rare boards anymore if he did. I think he said he may someday release it still but it's not a sure thing.

6. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Why would a collector threaten another collector like that?

7. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

Probably cause releasing the ROM would lower the value of the board significantly. Maybe some other collectors have the board too? That's the only reason I can think of why they'd care.

8. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

Sonic Bros ? The PuyoPuyo like one ?

http://www.sonicretro.org/2016/02/twentyfour-year-old-sonic-arcade-game-segasonic-bros-found/

ShouTime has dumped/released other very rare Sonic stuff like "Sega Sonic Popcorn Shop".
    I didnt even know such stuff exists and he should be thanked for making me able to play it.
    But instead people threaten him for trying to release a PuyoPuyo clone ?
    Did he lend the board or buy it ?

While I sometimes would understand the "frustration" if you are the only one "owning" such a rare arcade board...
    ...just to find the ROM on the internet right after you bought it...ah well, its an hot iron. ;p

Its "nice" to be the only one owning something. I agree. But isnt sharing caring ? ;p

Hell right now I want to play Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car. xD

AUSTIN PEYTON and NexTheReal like this.
  9. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Looks a bit too much like Rumble fish

10. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Reminds me of Project Justice on Dreamcast.

11. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Moo's got it wrong, so before people jump to conclusions and think there's evil collectors out there, let's just get this out of the way.

I believe (and I could be wrong, but think I'm right) that these "collectors" that apparently "threatened" Shou if he released anything are actually the Japanese sources that work in the industry that supplied Shou with that Sonic game. In such cases, they weren't even supposed to be selling him anything to begin with technically, and the condition he doesn't share is just them trying to cover their own hides since they don't want to end up in trouble. It's not the best situation, but it's understandable. If this were your typical no-name collector selling someone a prototype and making demands that they cannot release it (lol RE1.5 hoarders), you'd have every right to call them an ass hat. But in this case, I think some respect is deserved. They work in the industry and hooked Shou up, a guy who has done several other releases with no problem because there was no problem so he went ahead and did us all a favor.

This Sonic game is an isolated incident, but with the facts being what they are, I think it deserves a bit more respect than holding it against Shou that he's not giving anything to us.

12. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

I don't blame ShouTime. I know he had said previously he would and after getting threatened he had to not.

I didn't know he did the Sonic Popcorn shop one tho. Big Kudos for that tho. Love that classic sprite art. Can't wait to see the Sega Popcorn shop in Sonic Mania.

13. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

I don't think that ROM release really decrease value when it comes to arcade games, especially prototypes. People who collect hardware and people who just want to play the game are different usually. And... most of old systems have full sets available everywhere and still rare original physical copies cost a lot, and price doesn't go down with years. Kizuna Encounter AES PAL cough-cough...
    Only case when a bit of hoarding related to value is understandable is when it comes to unreleased CD/DVD etc games. when isos are out there anyone can copy it and nobody will know if it's original prototype or copy - for example i have 500+ blank GD-R/NR/Sony DVDs etc, and i don't think i'm the only one :D

14. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

I collect arcade, PC and console for games - more of an emphasis on arcade lately since I pretty much completed my console stuff.

A more accurate list of my arcade stuff is here

Sega Sonic Bros is dumped but I cannot release it yet due to the conditions of the person who gave it to me. I thought I would share its existence since no one knew about.

My goal is to preserve and release everything someday. Some things will take longer than others.

roubignolo likes this.
  15. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

That's good, that's the best way to preserve something. If you release it it'll get hosted by multiple ROM sites and many people will download it, then it won't be subject to hard drive faliures or cd's becoming unreadable and being lost again.

16. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I'm sure he knows that, especially since he's done so many releases. Doesn't change the fact the source gave him conditions not to share it.

Shou, wasn't there some other arcade beat em up you got a hold of that you were doing donations for? Hazeo or something. Forgive me, I'm bad with Arcade titles :p But it looked interesting. What's the progress with that one?

17. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

Hangzo by HOT B, it's not a beat'em up. It is more like a sidescrolling action game. It is in the queue to be dumped and released. I just have many many things in my queue as I work on many different arcade dumping projects.

18. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

Shou, I don't suppose you can tell us what hardware Sonic Bros runs on, could you?

19. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

Sega C2, Mega Drive hardware

20. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

Ok, thanks for letting me know.