looking for Retron 5 hack to play Roms

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Kynrek, Jun 7, 2014.

1. ootwii

ootwii Active Member

If anyone gets this hack to work ill be glad..ips patchin is ok but 12 save states per game...also gameboy games have problems patchin sometimes..im ready for this hack..

2. jonmagee

jonmagee Member

So I'm one of the few that was able to get the hack while Labo was still doing it and thanks to another member here, was able to just figure out how to "clone" the hack to other Retrons. I bought a Retron on Ebay a few days ago (with bad cartridge slots) and was able to fully hack it, using my motherboard in it initially to get past the verification part. I'm open to the idea of doing this as a service for anyone interested. This would be a hack to do on a Retron that has bad cartridge slots, as it will make it usable again.

If you aren't familiar with the hack, it's a really awesome one, and works flawlessly. I've used my hacked system a lot over the past year and have used it to dump all my original games onto it (around 100 games total, made up of NES, SNES, Genesis, and Gameboy) and play them without issue. I know it has saved a lot of wear and tear on my cartridge ports, and it's been really nice to just keep 1 game in the system (I use a gameboy advance game) but switch between all the different rom types.

If you're interested in me hacking yours (you could even buy one cheap on ebay with broken cartridge slots and send it to me to hack) I was thinking of charging around $50 bucks to do the hack, since it's pretty involved, as I have to take both systems apart and switch out boards and then run the hack and then put them back. Message me for anyone that's interested. Thanks!

delorean likes this.
  3. jbhnrh

jbhnrh Newly Registered

@jonmagee pls reup your files, dropbox says there are no longer available. I will try and look at them this week. Also, whats the the serial of your particular Retron5?

My assumption is each hack has each serial coded in the custom firmware.

4. chromableed

chromableed Rising Member

I suspect if you have the skills to do the hack to another device you could do it without the files. I have a copy of some files, althought not the full retronlabo hack, unfortunately I am bound by agreement not to release labo's work... Although I made no such commitment regarding constructing similar work in parallel if I can be of assistance :)

It's been a while since I was looking at this but I think labo spelled out pretty clearly what he was doing in the hack, and I believe the serial was used in signing the custom firmware(not just copied somewhere).

That's just the first hurdle, after that you need to basically reverse the hyperkin launcher, add a few functions (or enable them if the debug functions are still stubbed in as they were in some releases). Then recompile and reassemble and make a new firmwareupdate* (*assuming you try to use the same delivery method and not something crazier like dropping the hacked apk on the sd card and writing a boot script).

5. ootwii

ootwii Active Member

Ive followed this topic for a while..i seen 50 dollars for someone to do it . .its a good deal if it cover the other . .125 for the retron 5 plus 50 for it to be hacked plus at least 30 dollars plus to have it shipped both ways..thats 200 dollars for a hack..not downin the guy who can do it for 50 but to many hidden cost for me ..but i will say thank u for at least offering to help people hack there consoles..

6. stonie

stonie Member

what all did you guys do to get sega cd to run, i think i'm on 2.30 beta build of labos CFW, i have done everything to a T listed here and i am getting the same issue newborn had. i even checked the MD5 hash to make sure it matched genesis plus gx hash listed here https://docs.libretro.com/library/genesis_plus_gx/ . i edited the bath on my bios, the bin is even the same size of the sonic used in labos video. nothing. it will boot to black screen and then back to menu. kinda mad at myself for not paying much attention past getting the cfw back in 2015 now lol, i didn't expect labo to just disappear but these things happen. so if anyone that has the CFW sees this and ran sega cd, tell me what CFW version your using and let me know if there is anything weird labo hasn't mentioned you needed to do.

7. stonie

stonie Member

i should also point out that the sample sonic cue i got on my CFW directs it to an ISO and not a bin. i havn't really tried a bin and iso of it so that could be an issue too, been using bin and cue like everyone else seems to be using