looking for Retron 5 hack to play Roms

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Kynrek, Jun 7, 2014.

1. skel28

skel28 Site Supporter 2015

Sorry for the delay in replying I can do the hack but it does need another, already Retronlabo hacked console to be available. Thanks newborn. Any chance you could send me one of your cue files for reference please mate?

2. asmith906

asmith906 Newly Registered

There's no need to hack the retron 5 to play roms
    this video shows all you need to do

basically once you update the retron to the latest version it allows you to patch roms with ips files.
    this programs converts your roms into a patch file so you will still need the correct system game
    to play the roms. Example you need a genesis cart in the machine to load sega genesis roms.

3. SpealingBeChampeon

SpealingBeChampeon Newly Registered

The 'hack' doesn't just let roms get loaded easier, it adds support for other consoles.
    I'm pretty desperate to get my retron unlocked, but whats so surprising is after all this time no one else has been able to do it. I would have expected a solution somewgere from someone by now. I would seriously throw good money at anyone who could help me load other emulators onto my Retron 5 (anyone?)
    And if the person from a few months ago really got the hack to run on a different system then the one it was intended for I humbly ask him to share the wealth/his files so others could enjoy the full potential of the retron....

4. skel28

skel28 Site Supporter 2015

Do you mean me, yes I hacked my 2nd R5 using my already (paid for and hacked) R5.

5. newborn

newborn Active Member

Hi, so basically my certificate for his website is about to expire and hes not responding to me to extend it ); so need to make copies of my retron update so i don't lose it.

6. ootwii

ootwii Active Member

be nice if this hack was avaliable...can anyone do this hack now????...im still luv to play my games without usin cartridges and access the cheats menu..sure u can do the patch thing..but no cheat access...

7. chromableed

chromableed Rising Member

was a while back but looked like retron labo said to email https://twitter.com/retronlabo
    'If your certificate has been expired, please email me .'
    maybe he'll reissue?

8. newborn

newborn Active Member

I did email him and message on twitter but no reply.

9. newborn

newborn Active Member

My thing expired today.. well where he lives its the 17th so.... its expired rip.

10. newborn

newborn Active Member

Soo been trying for awhile to contact him, but he does not reply back on twitter nor his email.. I did manage to download it all on m SDcard.. but yeah.

11. jonmagee

jonmagee Member

Has anyone that has the hack from RetronLabo, updated their Retron to the latest firmware? I'm wondering if it does away with the hack, or bricks the machine?

12. ootwii

ootwii Active Member

Be nice to have the hack..can anyone besides retronlobo do this hack???..

13. jbhnrh

jbhnrh Newly Registered

Does anyone still have the files they received from Labo? If so I may be able to reverse engineer his patches and make it available to everyone as it seems his CFW may only need each users specific hardware id's.

14. newborn

newborn Active Member

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I no longer have access to my personal members page.. as my certificate ran out.... and he appears not to be renewing it for now, however I made sure I downloaded all files off the page, before... and I believe each file needs a different ID.. hence why we needed to send our update file to Labo.

15. jonmagee

jonmagee Member

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18855500/retron-update.bin
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18855500/0.2.2_signhack.zip

Here's the two files involving his hack. Of course right now they would just work on my specific Retron 5, but hopefully you'll be able to reverse engineer it. It would be totally worth the work. Having a hacked Retron 5 is killer. I'm only using it for games I actually own, but I was able to save them to the SD card from the cartridge, and it loads them all fine, making it so much more easier to switch between games. It also will save your pins from getting messed up over time.

16. ootwii

ootwii Active Member

Looks like we may be getting one step closer..ips works sometimes but still cant use cheats and only 12 save state spots so that runs in to a mess....im hopein this releases soon...

17. newborn

newborn Active Member

Well, if someone can help for you guys.. then great., not used it in awhile to be honest, not really touched my retron 5.... but it works nicely, some games i've noticed do not work, as they wont load or crash, but that was only the select few.... it also would be cool, if someone could make a specially updater tool, that public users can use to turn there retron 5 update into the hacked file.. but then again this sounds abit to optimistic.

18. newborn

newborn Active Member

probably abit late... but this is a lame way, it works yes, as you said to load sega games gen games you need sega gen game in the slot, with this hack you do not, you do need 1 game of any system... Gameboy game, sega, NES/SNES whatever 1 cart in the slot will play EVERY And ANY GAME, apart from the odd small select ones that crash or do not load, but i've only came across that very little. so for example with this hack, I could have Sega gen game in my slot, but I can still load Gameboy games, snes etc with the sega cart.. in my opinion it beats IPS method. and pretty sure not all games will work with the IPS patch either..

19. jonmagee

jonmagee Member

I'm curious, what games have you found that won't work with the hacked firmware?

20. newborn

newborn Active Member

I downloaded like a bunch of rom packs for different systems, granted the roms in the pack might of been faulty.. or corrupted... so downloading them, by them self.. might of fixed the issue, but ill never know. as I never really got concerned, just tried a different game it worked, I have 100's of game 100's of games on the retron 5 (Not played them all yet) but the ones I have played worked fine, apart from the select few %99 worked, but granted I didn't try them all, but what ones I have no clue I didn't log them, all ill say is, only a little bit of them just didn't load, as I said could of been a faulty file, to be fair, even the unhacked firmware has some games like this... I tried hacked roms, and ones I've tried work fine as well/