looking for Retron 5 hack to play Roms

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Kynrek, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Kynrek

Kynrek Member

Anyone know of a way to play roms off of the SD Card yet?

2. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

Get an Ouya or Wii.

3. Kynrek

Kynrek Member

I have both already thanks, that's not an answer to my question.

4. Kaicer

Kaicer Site Supporter 2014

Is too early to ask about that console not many hardcore hackers have it yet. For what it is I found it too pricey.

5. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Yeah give it some time man, it was released like what.. Yesterday?

6. CoolerKing

CoolerKing Active Member

Hoping to see some progress on this also..

Apparently this is just an android box with RK3066 chipset and some modified emulators (like snes9x)..

I don't know how well they secured it, but I guess that with some hacking, it should be easy to turn any 30-40 USD RK3066 or better device into a RetroN5 clone that can load roms from SD.. for controller, you can probably use OTG cable + usb convertor cable for SNES / PS1 controller or whatever... and I guess a Retrode could be connected to use actual cartridges.

The next step is probably to find out how to get the device into recovery mode, and read the flash memory.. The only information that I found so far on this topic is here: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11258&start=15

edit: And here's a full teardown: http://www.retrorgb.com/teardown.html

Looks like there's 2 x Nanya NT5CB128M16HP-DI, so that's 2 x 2GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM?

And the chip on the right of the Rockchip is the main storage = 16GB NAND flash memory?

Unfortunately I don't have one myself (don't see the benefit of having one if it doesn't play roms)..

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  7. CoolerKing

CoolerKing Active Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  8. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

Looks interesting. Please share more of your progress. Maybe with a video?

But for anyone who wants to play roms directly OUYA is the best option. All the emulators are free on the ouya store. The emulation is really great and works flawlessly.

9. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

What is N64 emulation like on the Ouya, please? How do games like Perfect Dark, Indiana Jones, and Rogue Squadron play?

10. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

For N64 it is not very good. PS1 emulation is fine so far. There are frame drops here and there.

11. chromableed

chromableed Rising Member

-need to patch something and upload a ver 1.1 otherwise the normal retron emulators stop working because opengl barfs
    -can't seem to get any launchers to work yet
    -open intents file browser works nicely
    -nesoid and mupen64 play nicely(at least the demo loop on diddy kong racer) but you can't control them because only the dpad and one or two buttons are recognized
    -programs can be launched from adb via am:

adb shell am start org.openintents.filemanager/.FileManagerActivity

12. CoolerKing

CoolerKing Active Member

Hello,

thanks for signing up and for sharing your progress... I have some questions:

-Did you find out where the actual emulator code is located? the RetronDummy.apk file seemed a bit small to contain everything
    -Is there any chance of getting the emulators / launcher running on other android (RK3066) devices?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  13. chromableed

Quite welcome, thanks for the link. I'm just glad other people think the retron 5 is neat too! probably my coworkers are getting tired of me talking about it :)

1. The factory reset doesn't seem to actually have the emulators afaik, hyperkin has packaged them in an application update which you get using the sort-of serial number of the console(which seems like it has changed several times on me and is generated in native code) to generate 'retron-update-request.dat' using some key. The application update has an apk which sort-of replaces RetronDummy which has what I assume are the emulators in native code:

libcore-gameboy.so (423 KB)
    libcore-gba.so (804 KB)
    libcore-genesis.so (1390 KB)
    libcore-nes.so (489 KB)
    libcore-snes.so (2185 KB)

2. I don't think the launcher would be very useful on another device--it seems pretty limited for an android launcher. I imagine the emulators would work on other 3066 devices(it seems like it might use hardware acceleration on the gpu so I don't know about non-rockchip devices). I imagine the emulators are GPL since they are entirely native and most development projects have budgets--so the best option if you are interested in that would be to request the gpl sources(although retroarch or other existing android emulators might be easier than forking r5 emulators and adding code to handle key mapping etc)

other r5 sort-of progress:
    -firefox works
    -retroarch seems to run, but the emulators wouldn't work as far as I could tell
    -the generic 3066 cwm by fun almost works when you build it with the r5 kernel, but I couldn't figure out how to change selections(and I tried sending key events via adb)
    -tried pairing a wiimote which seemed like it should have worked maybe if I manually put in the MAC address(but I didn't get it working)
    -tried to get adb over bluetooth working so maybe a usb controller could be used, but it seemed like maybe it would need a kernel module(even though it has the pand binary for bluetooth?)

14. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Thanks for replying, mate. N64 emulation is always problematic on any platform (even the PC), but I was hoping that somehow they'd achieved a properly usable emulator on the Ouya. Still, when CEN64 and/or MESS are finished, then we'll be able to emulate the N64 properly, and even if a machine is too slow to run CEN64 or MESS's N64 emulator, then no doubt the knowledge and understanding gained from making CEN64/MESS will help people make the older (and faster) emulators more compatible.

But for now, I'll stick to the real N64 for N64 gaming.

15. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

Thanks for sharing your info.

I am not sure if Retron 5 can be truly be a flexible open retro console despite rooting progress.

Yeap, you are right. Even on my fast PC, I have troubles with N64 emulation. OUYA is a brilliant retro console IMO. Maybe OUYA 2 might offer better emulation for N64.

Real N64 + Everdrive 64 is a better option for now.

16. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

I'm thinking it would be really awesome to add a way to get access to the dumped roms and store them on the internal storage. Could be a nice retrode replacement.

17. CoolerKing

CoolerKing Active Member

Hey, where can I find these files? would like to have a look at them and see if they are ports from other emulators or created from scratch... they might be better emulators than the stuff that's available on android, so that's why I'm interested in getting it working on 'normal' android devices.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  18. chromableed

I had only looked at the nes one until you mentioned this(and there was/is basically nothing meaningful I could derive from the .so or the decompiled so other than standard libc stuff etc)... however, since you brought up throwing them in a hex editor I took a peek at the others and there is a series of constants in the same order in the genesis .so that looks suspiciously like:

https://github.com/OpenEmu/GenesisPlus-Core/blob/master/genplusgx_source/cart_hw/eeprom_i2c.c

Edit: The following strings appear in the snes.so
    -SpeedhackGameID
    -SFXSpeedupHack

Which based on a quick goole seem to suggest one of the following for snes(or something derivative):
    -Snes9x
    -RetroArch
    -OpenElec?

You also see the string GNU a couple times in one of the .so's :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  19. CoolerKing

CoolerKing Active Member

Hey,

thanks for investigating this.. based on what you found, the SNES one indeed appears to be Snes9x-based (the RetroArch and OpenElec results are also Snes9x) and the Genesis one is probably GENPlus..

It would be possible to further confirm this by looking for emulator-specific bugs.. For instance, Doom in Snes9x has some graphical glitches that are unique to that emulator.. I guess there are more ways of telling, but we'd need someone with a Retron and the games in question to test it with.

ps. We're still looking for someone to share the actual .so files, because chromableed is worried about copyrights. So if anyone else is able to share these files (I guess a rooted Retron is required), let us know.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  20. Eke

Eke Spirited Member

I wouldn't worry about coypright if I were you since if the above findings are true, it means that Hyperkin is, as suspected, selling emulator code that is under license forbidding commercial use (Snes9x and Genesis Plus GX). That's said, that link to my code i2c_eeprom.c is more likely some comment left in their code, it does not prove anything (yet). To see if it is really used, you could try with a game that uses EEPROM for saving (such as Ring of Power or Wonderboy V) and see if the backup feature works on Retron 5.

The name of "core" libraries seems also strangely similar to libretro/retroarch, which already runs these two emulators on Android.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014