Looking for PS3 modding info

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by kreg, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Zeigren

Zeigren Spirited Member

2. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

All went well :) Thanks to all, for the accurate guidance!

ps3-355.jpg

I upgraded to Rebug 4.81.2 REX Edtion. Looks to be running great.

Do I stay away from PSN? Noticed some games I own want me to reconnect to the store for their licenses.

Zeigren and s8n like this.
  3. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

wow great achievement kreg , lots of good times coming your way now that your on CFW. Do you mean .pkg games want you to get their licenses ?

i use ReactPSN to enable these games...........

4. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Ah, I'll give that a try. That would probably work.
    In general, just curious what the do's and don'ts are if I connect the network back to it. Is it relatively safe?

Games I previously bought from the store are still on the HDD and most are working fine. Some really old stuff I have not run in a long time, asked to reconnect to the Playstore. The only reason I clicked on them, is just to try things out with the new CFW. So ya, some legit stuff wanted to go online, but I'm not sure if that's asking for banishment.

5. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

i'm not a Pro for online stuff so i can't say much , but i've never bought a game from the store. I just get whatever .pkg and install them and then run ReactPSN , you want a RAP as well which i believe is the license. I've found when using ReactPSN and RAP's you need to do all games in one go , if trying to do just one game it won't work.

btw if you have Webman MOD installed you may want to raise the default speed of your PS3's internal fan , i have mine at 65%......see video below for an example.

Zeigren and kreg like this.
  6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

It's spoofed internally. You can go on PSN all you want. I even do this with my DECR. Any game you own you still own and nothing will change. It just gets weird during a downgrade.
    The only thing you shouldn't do is real time mod or cheat while signed in.

Also to clarify, webMAN can be enabled (requires COBRA to be enabled to work), but if you install webman MOD it will clean up and organize webman itself to make it more user friendly. You can retrieve that here (its the updater PKG) https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/releases

gladiator5 likes this.
  7. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Well, in that case... I'm gonna try it! So no need to "hide" stuff using things like PSN Patcher 2017? Multiman even has a "stealth" version for whatever reason. Wasn't sure what a HDD full of homebrew apps and game backups appears like online to Sony. No desire to run cheats for gaming. Just normal connectivity would be nice. Not end of the world if I can't.

Thanks for the links and suggested apps. Feel free to keep spamming me with ideas. I'll play with these webMAN apps and whatever Cobra mode is tonight. I hate asking too many terminology / concept questions this early because it's a new world for me. I never have spent time in homebrew with PS3 like I have other consoles. I need to fill in what the common go to apps are and their concepts.

BTW. I did run an app to check out my fans and temps as s8n suggested. My idle temp showed one of the chips at 74C. According to the graphic that was in the red zone. By chance normal for FAT's? I did clean both heatsinks and CPU's with some Arctic cleaner / neutralizer. Then with a credit card I spread a thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 across the CPU / RSX surfaces evenly. Just seems a bit warm!

Going to be a busy weekend of learning homebrew and managing backups :)

8. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I feel like that tool is placebo at best now given how many cfw users there are but you are more than welcome to use it. I dont as I see no need for it but you can if you feel like it helps.

9. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

hi kreg , do you have Multiman to launch games if so what temps is that reporting ?. Are you sure it's in Fahrenheit not Celsius , also are both CPU and GPU reporting around the same temps ?.

10. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

11. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

I really tried finding temp info that was this clear. Seems the CECHLxx just loves to run hot and these are normal temps for me. I did increase the minimum fan speed. Keeps a few degrees off the chips and not really much noise added. Nice info!

PSN connected fine, and I was able to download the licenses for the legit titles. Just wanted to see if it could be done. Thanks!

12. Zeigren

Zeigren Spirited Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  13. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

All of my previously installed games, and .pkgs installed after modding, are are showing up in /dev_hdd0/game and they appear as expected in XMB's game menu. Asside from it growing overly vertically long, they play fine. So what's the idea behind using multiman? When I run multiman, I'm presented with a similar XMB experience. However none of the games show up in it's games menu. I can browse with it's file browser to see and confirm the games are at /dev_hdd0/game also. Refreshing doesn't seem to help. So what is this games section for? Exclusively externally installed games on flash drives and hard drives? Should my games be seen here as well? I have noticed something created a /dev_hdd0/GAMES , /dev_hdd0/PKG , and maybe /dev_hdd0/packages, which are all EMPTY dirs. Hard to say what was here natively before and what's been added. Anyhow. Just a bit of fog i'm trying to clear.

14. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Bumping this old thread.

I bought some used PS3 consoles. Would there be any account ban or console ban risk, if I simply ran minverchk on them, but not actualy mod them? I believe they can be downgraded, but I don't want to mod them right now. Maybe someday. For now, I just want to confirm if they can be.

15. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Don't worry about it - minverchk doesn't actually run anything on the console, it's just an empty update package with a very low version number. What happens when you try to install it is that the system looks at it, sees it looks like an update package and then checks the version number - since it's lower than can be installed on the console, it displays a helpful warning message that tells you the lowest version this console can accept.

16. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

are sony still banning people on the ps3? thought they didnt care no more haha

17. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Just wonderong if there is a log somewhere or something. Yes they still ban accounts.

18. gladiator5

gladiator5 Robust Member

This, 100%
    Sony mailed at the end of year, a detailed form of what you used your psn account for.
    Not joking, mine showed showtime, the homebrew media player, as most played “game”

19. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Where do you find such a report?

20. gladiator5

gladiator5 Robust Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019