Looking for PS3 modding info

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by kreg, Oct 29, 2017.

1. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

I am not new to console modding, but I have never attempted PS3. I have some PS3's that are pre 3.55 and some that are current OFW. But I'm not really sure where the community is, so that I can get involved. Where do I go begin learning this console? Is there an obvious thread here that I'm overlooking? Looking to read up on downgrading NOR and NAND, flashers, jailbreak, etc. Any websites, guides, PDF's, mod history, parts, old way, new way, etc...

Also, why is this console trolled so much? Many google results end up trolling me.

Would appreciate being spammed any legit info. Thanks!

2. theps1master

theps1master Robust Member

as you have ps3s that are pre 3.55 it should be easy go on google and search ps3 3.55 pup update put it on your usb boot into safe mode select update via usb voila you're on 3.55 next download any cfw I chose rebug

3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Update to 3.55
    Install Rebug REX (not D-REX. D-REX this is for non retail systems). That's about it for pre-3.55

Downgrading depends heavily on model.

4. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

As stated, for the pre-3.55, those are easy.

A guide for downgrading:

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=39766

Was the first Google result for me. It's not exactly an "easy" process I should warn you.

Good luck.

5. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Interesting. I stumbled across that guide on psx-scene, but it was updated to around 2014. This seems to be the same guide, in a different home and dated this month. Thanks! E3 Flasher is on it's way.

6. s8n

s8n Gutsy Member

kreg likes this.
  7. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Thanks s8n. I'll review it closely. I've watched a few videos on youtube and the Baileys Guide. I did not run into this one specifically. Looks great.

I started overlooking ps3hax, because I let some comment or mention of ps3hax not being as legit for some reason. Guess that was wrong.

8. s8n

s8n Gutsy Member

when i started out on PS3 downgrading and mentioned on ps3hax that i was thinking of following some of the guides on Youtube. They mentioned ' failtube ' and they directed me to the guide i mentioned , also the guys over ps3hax are friendly so don't hesitate to chat.

you may want to use Arctic Silver 5 when reassembling your PS3's , i get really good temps on the consoles i did.

kreg likes this.
  9. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Agreed. Some videos focus on presentation more than the lesson. Even the long ones. So occasionally shortcuts are made. It was a starting point though. That's why I started the thread. Just needed some first hand opinions of where to do some good reading, and a check of my Google results. I realize the scene for this is probably past it's prime, and I missed the community as it was happening more. So a bit of a dig at an older topic.

I really like this E3 specific guide. I am glad you pointed it out. I definitely did not stumble across it on my own.

Extra Arctic Silver 5 ordered! Always good to redo thermal paste.

s8n likes this.
  10. s8n

s8n Gutsy Member

hi again , i thought of another tip i got from ps3hax that may help you. When i was working on i think my second PS3 i was getting Bad Dumps and they recommended the E3 Clip is not making good enough contact with the NOR. So i cleaned the NOR's pins with IPA and used a coin with some Blu-Tack on it to push the Clip firmly down when the steel chassis is closed , i got good Dumps after that.

11. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

Awesome. I picked up a sense that it can be sensitive to maintain good contact durring the dumps. I saw a video where a guy used a steel bench C clamp. That seems overkill and potentially destructive if not careful. Tack under a coin sounds way more like something I would do instead. I'll keep that in mind!

12. Jonny_0093

Jonny_0093 Member

Hi guys, because this topic is for PS3 modding, I want to ask you if there are any methods to downgrade a console without e3 flasher.

13. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

The only concept I have, is that 3.55 and lower can be downgraded without a flasher, regardless if the console is NOR or NAND based. If dealing with 3.56 and newer, then you would need the E3 flasher for NOR based PS3's. If NAND based, you would need a different flasher.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

If the console is above 3.55 OFW, there is NO way to downgrade without hardware flasher. Ignore those troll websites that tell you otherwise.

AntDRAG and kreg like this.
  15. Jonny_0093

Jonny_0093 Member

Basically I've two ps3 ( fat with semi ylod, and a working superslim) , and the bad one could be used for testing beta's and unreleased games. It's pointless for me to spend money for a flasher to use on a semiylod console , that's why I asked.
    However it's strange that after a lot of years is still not possible to downgrade the console after that 3.55 firmware, I mean PSP has no limitation to make it load homebrews and iso/cso, but not on PS3.

16. Zeigren

Zeigren Spirited Member

Just one of those things. There's new consoles to hack, the people who could figure out how to do it can already mod their consoles using the current methods, etc... I mean look how long it took the Dreamcast and Saturn to go from reading burned discs to using SD cards and such. And those consoles are ""less complicated"".

In the vein of this thread, I'm working on my own downgrading guide. It's geared to the hardware I'm making, but it covers a lot of the basic stuff as well, and if you're downgrading with a Teensy then even more of it applies.

It's like 80% done, it's all written up and now I'm trying to use it myself while downgrading two consoles to make sure I've covered everything. Also taking pics and screenshots along the way and stuff.

Jonny_0093 likes this.
  17. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

I agree, that is just how the scene tends to unfold. I like the example of the Original Xbox. Why does a usable emulator for that not exist? It's x86 architecture with a modified Geforce III. Name a console that is more PC like then that. One would think "emulating" those instruction sets would be easily in reach. But I guess just as Zeigren states, it's all about the interest in the scene. I like the Dreamcast and Saturn examples too. Much of me believes that if PS3 was still the current gen and the most popular in retail, 3.55 would not be a barrier. Who knows?

Not sure what to say about the semi YLOD fat ps3. Any chance some time under a heat gun would help it? I have never tried to repair one.

I look forward to reading over your guide Zeigren.

18. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

I completed 3 dumps of my CECHL01 last night. They verified with the quick check tools. I'll inspect them closer tonight with a Hex Editor and other suggested ways. Really appreciative of the guidance here.

s8n likes this.
  19. kreg

kreg Spirited Member

playerkp420 shares some easy ways to validate dumps. Two of the easiest were using "norpatch.exe" and "PS3 Flash_Tool v4.81". Both checked out great for my dumps.

He does proceed to warn that it would be good to inspect manually by directing us to http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:Validating_flash_dumps , but the majority of the links shared further within are dead. Some of the front page stuff is readable, such as using HxD and looking over stats, and watching for repeated patterns of FFFF or 0000 from Flowrebuilder. Am I overthinking it, or should I try to mimic what is being taught here without the links?

20. s8n

s8n Gutsy Member

hi kreg , i just used PS3 Flash Tool to verify my dumps and when i got a match i proceeded with the guide/tutorial.

kreg likes this.