looking for PS3 cooling ideas

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Korn16ftl3, May 22, 2018.

1. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

so i have an original launch PS3 (CECHA01) i already know the PSU is a major heat source in these things i need to figure out what model PSU i need to swap in place of it (anyone know what the model number is in a 40GB launch USA PS3 for the PSU?). I would really like to hear some ideas from you guys how to keep it running cooler.. At the moment with the fan on full blast it idles at about 62c the RSX around 45c (this obviously is not a concern at least i dont think. so lets hear it what have you guys done to keep your fat systems running cooler. Im curious if anyone here has actually done water cooling on their system, this was also a thought of mine as well but i know i would need a water block to fit properly and things like that im not so certain i could locate one or not. I have also considered taking away some of the structural parts on the inside maybe thin out the shell under the top layer or ventilate some of the shielding or something to that nature as well.

2. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

i have Slims and do the below mod , i get around 41c and 41c for both processors and run the internal fan at 65%. You might want to try and test with the top shell off and see if it makes a difference , if it does then a vent or fan will help reduce temps.

also i remove the Sony Thermal Paste and i apply Arctic Silver

[​IMG]

3. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

What do you get with just the new thermal paste and no fan?

4. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

that's something i haven't tried but i've tried internal Fan stock speed , stock Thermal Paste and no external Fan/Vent and i was getting around 65c

5. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

That sounds about right for my stock PS3 Slim as well, I was just wondering if the paste made a significant difference or the fan. I don't feel like having to worry about an external power for the fan

6. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

i softmodded (PS3xploit) a bunch of my Slims not long ago and i removed the top part of the shell while flashing CFW. Then i installed webman and changed the fan speed to 65%. I also installed multiman and i checked the temps and they were really good , from memory around 43c. To me the PS3 isn't getting good enough ventilation and the stock fan speed is too slow. Just a hole for more ventilation and raising the internal fan speed will give great temps

7. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thanks for that.
    By the way I think we live in the same area (Western Suburbs?)

s8n likes this.
  8. Traace

Traace Rapidly Rising Member

Idk the psu model number for v1, Can you take a look? :)

But LSEB1226A1 or APS-231 is compatible with v1, while a LSEB1226A1 should be more hotter than APS-231.

9. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

i tried pulling up an APS-231 on ebay but i dont think it was for a NTSC console as it was being sold in some other currency on ebay. im not sure if these model numbers are the same across regions?

10. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

yes that's right Pikmin

Pikmin likes this.
  11. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

I really want to pull the IHS on it honestly but I don't want to trash the PS3 over something like that even tho I'm aware it is a known issue that does need to be done. I was reading an article that spoke highly about a tool called IHS buster (link to the article for anyone interested: https://flake.tweakblogs.net/blog/10754/mythbusting-the-truth-about-playstation-3-cooling )
    But I dont know where to find that eclxact tool. It looks like a really solid product and damn near full proof to use honestly.

12. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

i have read a few times people removing the Heat Spreader and then having problems after it. I too would like to remove mine and successfully cool even further. IMO Slim is the best way to go as they run cooler than PHATs , but i hope you the best if you want to remove the HS on a PHAT. Some others will chime in with their opinions and knowledge and you can go from there.

13. Sloth

Sloth Active Member

Good luck. Been after one for ages.

14. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I've installed potentiometers in fat systems to speed the fan up. It is better than those software solutions on hacked systems because it always speeds it up - not just at certain times. You can find more info online but IIRC correctly you install it with 2 wires... one spliced into the 3.3v line on the PSU, and the other spliced between the grey wire on the fan. Fine tune it so it goes faster but not full blast.

15. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

So apparently it's no longer being made or something?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  16. Traace

Traace Rapidly Rising Member

They should be same ,APS-231 is used in CECH-GXX for both US and EU.

Input: 100V-240V, 3,5-1,5A
    +5V Output: 0,6A
    +12V Output: 23,5A

If you not sure, ask the seller to provide the PSU Part-Nr.

PSU Modell: APS-231
    PSU Part-Nr.: 1-474-073-11
    Board Modell: APS-231 M
    Board Part-Nr.: 1-874-541-12

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  17. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

You don't really need an IHC buster to do this. I use oil paint knives from michaels.
    http://www.michaels.com/studio-71-s...knife-set/D044256S.html#q=paint+knife&start=5

All the blades are very thin and sturdy. I mainly use knife #1.

To get the heat spreader off, I use the blade as a punch (don't slide it back and forth!). Just slowly push through the adhesive around the outside edge and then pull straight out. Repeat until you have most of the adhesive perforated.

Next, I take a butter knife and a folded piece of cardboard. Place the butter knife a small way under the heat spreader. Fold up the cardboard and use it as a fulcrum, so pushing down on the far end of the butter knife pops off the heat spreader.

Here's the guide that I used as a starting point: https://quade.co/2017/ps3-delid-ihs/

18. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

I forgot why I bought this last year as it randomly came in the mail from china, is it what you're using?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-Freque...423680?hash=item2383e11d00:g:J5gAAOSwCQZZCzgU

19. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I modded a 40gb model once with a Xbox 360 PSu making it external

20. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

That's not what I used... I just used a simple potentiometer, but what you showed may do the trick. Except it's 5v - 12v and I think you need 3.3v for the PS3's PWM fan. The one's I've used looked like this, but others will do:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/10k_Ohm_Breadboard_Compatible_Potentiometer.jpg