List of Roms don´t run on Master Everdrive

Discussion in 'Everdrive Master System - Master Everdrive' started by LordRaiden, Dec 13, 2011.

1. LordRaiden

LordRaiden Member

I wish to create a list of games that don´t run on Master Everdrive to study and solve the problem. I have more than 400 roms that runs on my master everdrive we can share the roms to know if the problem is the rom.

1 ASTERIX AND THE GREAT RESCUE

more roms?

2. goldenband

goldenband Spirited Member

This will depend somewhat on what console hardware is being used, won't it? There's a fair amount of information out there about which PAL ROMs won't work properly on US NTSC Master Systems, though a lot of those will work on NTSC Genesis consoles.

Are any of the Korean ROMs verified as unsupported on the Master Everdrive? IIRC some of them use very weird mappers.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

korean games should work on master ed, may be not all, but korean mapper was implemented in cart

4. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

The following is a post I've made and copied a few times when this question comes up......

Unfortunately, most of the problems stem from NTSC/PAL incompatibility. In many cases, you assume a game was NTSC because it's a USA/Hollywood license, but it was only released in PAL region. In fact, many of these games will actually work fine on a Mega Drive/Genesis, because it has fixed those issues, although other games will not work on the MD.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12093
    http://www.smspower.org/forums/download.php?id=2408

5. LordRaiden

LordRaiden Member

All of this games runs perfectly on my Master Everdrive.
    I play without problems Japanese games, korean Games, European Games, Usa games and Brasilian Games. For example I run Virtua Fighter (1Mb) without problems, Street Fighter II in my Master System II, Addams Family, Sonic Blast, games translated to spanish, demos, homebrew, prototypes, unreleased games like sonic edusoft (the works was find the correct rom) but what I don´t know is why don´t run Asterix and the great Rescue, I have the original cartridge and runs perfectly (console and game european version PAL) and with everdrive no. Could not be the correct rom? More games with the same problem? Run on console with original game and don´t run in console with everdrive.

6. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

So you have a PAL console? Then yes, your compatibility is greatly increased. If the physical game works, but the rom doesn't, it's probably the rom.

7. LordRaiden

LordRaiden Member

I agree with you. May be the rom, but I download it 10 times from different places and no one works. I disambled the game and don´t have battery only a double memory like bubble bobble for example. If somebody have a checked rom from Asterix and the Great Rescue.sms please tell me from and I download and check it because is very strange have problems with only one game.

8. LordRaiden

LordRaiden Member

Today I update the OS to version 5.
    I buy a new SD card and try old and new roms and continue the problem.
    Anyone with "Asterix and the Great Rescue.sms" checked rom that works?

9. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

V5 OS was really just a Game Gear ED update. I finally got to test it. I have a US NTSC SMS 1 and no, it doesn't work, just gets a black screen. Is it too big a rom (512KB)? It does start on the Genesis Everdrive, though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  10. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Wait Ren and Stempy isn't compatible noooooo!

11. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

not too big, sms evd can handle up to 1mbyte rom, so problem somewhere else

12. LordRaiden

LordRaiden Member

Exactly this is what happens, the black screen. I observed that sometimes happen with Asterix and the secret mission too, but normally works. I don´t know if this games have something special. Looking for information ...

13. LordRaiden

LordRaiden Member

There are not known problems dumping this game.
    The size is correct 512 KB (4Mb), non especific mapeator.
    With a no-intro rom the same problem.
    It seems like CRC 32 get a wrong file and is ignoring dat file.
    Making tests trying to find the solution.

14. LordRaiden

LordRaiden Member

Could anybody give any information?

15. kingbuzzo

kingbuzzo Member

Anyone have any luck with Golden Axe Warrior? It doesn't seem to work on the Everdrive GG

16. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I don't have any, but I may not be help because I think the roms out there are all PAL, since the game was only released in Europe and Brazil. So it may not work on my system at all. You should try posting on www.sms-power.org, they have the most knowledgeable SMS people there.

17. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Maybe someone that owns a Master Everdrive could help me out here. I own a MD Everdrive (had it a while, FW 8 I think), several flavors of MD consoles and clones, but not an actual SMS unit. I've got both a Tototek and Sega branded SMS converter for the MD. I couldn't care less about 3D games, SG-1000 support, weird Codemasters mappers, or SMS games that won't work on a MD console even if using the actual cart.

I noticed a few SMS games that won't work on my MD Everdrive, yet if using actual carts with a converter they work fine (Enduro Racer (J), Hokuto No Ken (J), etc).. I've been tossing around the idea of buying a SMS Everdrive to play what won't work with the MD one, hoping it would work on these few problem games.

Does the SMS Everdrive offer any sort of improved compatibility when playing on a MD console versus using a regular MD Everdrive?

Also, I noticed several of the games mentioned in the above list that won't work on a NTSC SMS with the SMS Everdrive work perfectly fine on my NTSC MD using actual carts or using a MD Everdrive. Would I actually be taking a step back in compatibility?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  18. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

First off, you can play 3d games on a MD with the older power base converters. It's a trade off. You get SG-1000 on a SMS, plus several games that won't run on a MD. There aren't many of those though.

For the games where the cart works but the rom doesn't, I can't help. Without some type of error reporting from the Master Everdrive, I don't think anyone could diagnose the problem.

19. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I doubt SMS Everdrive with MD would have much change. Unless there's some odd design bug in MD Everdrive? SMS games are still SMS either way.

It's best to focus on normal play methods. Sega 8 bit compatibility is a freakish minefield when you approach its edges.

There are numerous setup variables and systems with differing levels of support:
    FM sound
    later mappers
    MD lacks SG-1000 graphics mode
    the card slot
    Master System 2 having a updated VDP model
    US/PAL vs Japan SMS cart shape
    US/PAL SMS BIOS blocking certain Japan games (MD does not perform this particular check)
    games that don't accept MD controllers (most obviously affects Nomad, being MD controller 1 is built in)
    games that require 50hz mode (all Game Gear and Nomad systems run at factory 60hz, so they'd need screen replacements to play impacted games portable if their LCDs aren't multi region)
    SG-1000 keyboard (I believe Mark III inherited this expansion port from Mark II, yet SMS even in Japan dropped it)

Also note Sega never released an adapter to play Mark III carts, and/or card slot games, using MD2/Xeye/etc.
    However the first Power Base Converter will just fit CDX. Giving the system actually better SMS compatibility than MD2/Xeye/etc by official Sega parts. (meaning no mods, flash carts, or otherwise)

That's not counting any clones either...

20. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

This is what I'm getting at. I don't own a SMS, so I didn't know if using a SMS Everdrive + PBC would give me more compatibility than just running a Mega Everdrive or if it would be redundant. Unless someone can confirm for me that those two particular games work using SMS Everdrive + PBC, and the list of non-working games above is correct, it looks like users with a MD + MD Everdrive actually have more compatibility than SMS users with a SMS Everdrive.