Life in Japan - Pictures galore !! Arcades, Temples, Rainy days, etc

Discussion in 'Japan Forum: Living there or planning a visit.' started by Yakumo, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Apparently not as far as Japanese males are concerned.

2. cez

cez Site Supporter

Interesting. I found out about that model just a couple of days ago. Not in my price class but it does seem to be a great camera.

Tried Magic Lantern yet?

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Just found out about it a couple of days ago myself. Going to try soon!

While the camera is expensive, there is a bundle at B&H for $1999. It comes with software that I was literally about to buy anyway which was $150 (plus another $200 application which I could use but wouldn't buy), and a 16GB 90Mb/s memory card which you can probably resell to the tune of $100. I think some orders get some cheesy bag, but I didn't give a shit about that. For me that kind of made it worth it, as I sold a bunch of arcade kits and rare games to buy good camera gear.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. Giel

Giel Intrepid Member

What lens do you have on it GP?

5. GaijinPunch

Right now I'm mainly using two sigmas. 85mm F1.4 and 70-200mm F2.8. I need a wide angle zoom lens but am a bit broke right now. ;)

6. bobzee

bobzee [undefined]

The Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 can be picked up quite cheap and it's a solid lens.

Canon EF lenses usually develop a fault after a few years of use, the aperture ribbon cable snaps giving ERR99. If you can handle stripping a lens down and replacing the cable, you can pick one up for buttons.

I bought one and a replacement cable for £40, sold it a while back for £100.

7. GaijinPunch

I need F2.8 unfortunately, which is pricey.

I'm calling bullshit. Canon lenses are known to be stable -- selling a lens with 4-5 years of use for more than 70% of it's current value is not unheard of in the least. I'm about to sell my EF-S 17-55 as I can't use it on my new body and I've used it actively for almost 5 years now.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. Giel

Giel Intrepid Member

Man I've been looking at getting that 17-55 lens for my 550D, but I'm having a hard time dropping ~800 euro's on it. I really wanna upgrade to something better but I'm having a hard time settling for a ''lesser'' lens like the 18-55 or the 18-85.

9. GaijinPunch

You can try to find it used. It really is a sick lens. I love it and it's EXTREMELY hard to let it go. I've even heard some people say it's better than the 24-70 F2.8L which is now "dated" and apparently has an eminent update in the works. (I need it now though o_O).

10. Martin

Martin Resolute Member

[​IMG]
    Lanterns

[​IMG]
    New Year Faces

[​IMG]
    Queuing for New Year

[​IMG]
    Uni Qlo Shinjuku

[​IMG]
    Yodobashi Shinjuku

[​IMG]
    Ocean View, in San Francisco

[​IMG]
    Our Christmas Tree

[​IMG]
    My GF taking photos in Shinjuku Gyoen

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. Giel

Giel Intrepid Member

Yeah that's why I think I'll stick it out for a bit and then go straight for a great lens, instead of settling for a mediocre one and then ending up upgrading later down the road anyway.

I would consider buying it used, but here in China I don't trust the sellers/used shops/ my Chinese enough to take the leap, so that isn't an option for now. If the yen exchange rate wasn't so shit I'd consider picking it up in Japan next time I'm there, but alas.

12. bobzee

bobzee [undefined]

Should've made my post a bit clearer: I'm not saying they're shit quality, it's just that it's quite a common problem in lenses that have had a lot of use or not been properly handled. Zooming in and out flexes the cable back and forth, eventually causing a weak point. People who take good care of their lenses will probably never have this issue.

I've got the EFS 17-85, bought it faulty with a snapped ribbon cable. That's the third lens i've bought on the cheap, all 3 had the same issue. I strengthen the replacement cable with a couple of layers of tape so i'm sure they'll last for years.

Photography can be an expensive hobby, so it works out good for anyone with the balls to fix them.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  13. andoba

andoba Site Supporter 2014

My father has been using Canon for professional use since 1979. All Canon lenses still work like the first day. Most of the other material (Bronica, for example) broke with decades.

14. GaijinPunch

I'm with andoba. I still think you're smoking crack. Zooming in and out is not handling them properly? They're lenses... that's what they're made for. If that was really the case they would not carry the resale value they do.

15. GaijinPunch

Nice shit, Martin!

16. GaijinPunch

17. Martin

Martin Resolute Member

Nice shots GP ;)

18. Legion

Legion Peppy Member

Nice shots GP

I am still undecided on the Canon 5d mark II , the 7D or just continue waiting for news of the Canon 5d Mark III which will probably cost outside of my budget range

19. Martin

Martin Resolute Member

Nikon seemed to have better focussing ability than the 5D mk II when I was in Yodobashi last. I shoot with a NEX C3 these days, which I love. Shoots raw and it is really small, but has a APC sensor (i.e. same as Kiss size).

I want to go full frame, but will need to change career first.

20. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

My Camera does RAW too but I find there is no real need for it as of yet. the standard JPG files are 180dpi which is good enough for what I need.