Letting out the blue smoke out of Dreamcasts

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Storm, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Storm

Storm Robust Member

I've been trying to do a rather complicated DC-mod that involves large amount of soldering on the motherboard. So far I've killed three DCs, and I'm starting to run out of spares. :crying:

So for the last month I've been searching for a source of cheap Dreamcasts since I foresee another 6-10 dead ones before I either succeed or determine that it's impossible. I don't care if the laser works, but no one seems to be selling their old broken DCs unfortunately.

Any tips on where I could find a stash of cheep motherboards? Preferably on the European side of the pond.

(Edit: My, that was one grammatically awkward subject. I blame it on the late hour.)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

If you want to trade some working GD-ROM drives for some motherboards then I could help you out.

3. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

may i be so bold to ask what kind of mod you want to perform?

4. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

probably a handheld

5. Tomcat

Tomcat Familiar Face

I have a bunch of unboxed units in the uK.

6. Quzar

Quzar Spirited Member

I have about 20 or so spare DCs (most all with non-working GDs). If you're interested in trading for Gd drives, games, or accessories shoot me a PM.

7. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Right now I have all of one unused working GD-drive, so not a whole lot to trade with. :-/ During the years I've come to a deal with myself to not buy things I have immediate no use for, so my stock of tradeable stuff is generally very low.

Tomcat: You have PM.

8. Tomcat

Tomcat Familiar Face

Will need to weigh them next time im in the uk (prob september) Guessing postage is guna be the killer. How much you offering?

9. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

What's the mod? I'm doing a DreamCast portable at the moment; relocated the motherboard port to the DC drive board (1999 board), very fiddly wiring - working so far!

10. Storm

Storm Robust Member

@Tomcat: Sorry, right after this I had to go MIA. I checked my mailbox but didn't check the thread. :-/

I did find a bunch of Dreamcasts with the description "untested! some might not work! no returns!" which I took as "We tested them, and none of them work properly..." and bought it hoping must of them will be broken lasers. Haven't tested them yet.

@bacteria: More of a dev-related mod. Portable mods are outside of my field of interest. But I've checked your thread and am suitably impressed!