Lets Talk Neo Geo Prototypes.

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by TonK, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

Zintrick wasn't released. The only Zintrick floating around was CD to MVS conversion without music. Ironclad as well at the time was a CD to MVS conversion. Recently thanks to the Nintendo VC, Ironclad was coded for cart by SNK for the VC since the code for the emulator is that of a cart.

2. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

Forgot to say that Bang Bang Busters is a very small game and can be made using an AOF cart. But like you said it's probably easier for them to just have the PCBs made as well as the snaplock case.

Zintrick has sound but no music. It plays perfectly fine but without music it's boring especially since the music in the CD is pretty catchy.

Sounds like Ironclad was converted to cart by SNK a while ago like you said and decided last year to release it on VC. Hopefully they release a version of Crossed Swords 2 as well.

As for trackball games, IM is the only one I know of but I think Nam-1975 could be done as a trackball game as well of course I'd prefer a gun instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
  3. Dion

Dion Robust Member

All neo games are coded/programmed for cartridge format first. Ironclad was shown at a arcade show, but never released. It was later released for the neo cd.

As for the neo trackball games, Irritating Maze was the only title released.
    There was also a part two called "The Irritating Maze Returns" or "Ultra Denryu Ararabu Returns." I have photos of the game logo, but nothing on the game itself. But SNK staff mentioned Maze Returns, and many trackball games coming: bowling, golf, and of course "Neo Pool Master."

Nam 1975 on trackball sounds like a great idea!! Thanks for that idea.

"Last Run" is another rumored title that was never made/or released.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  4. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

I wish Neo Pool Master was a real game because NTF was a great title plus I love billiards.

IM2, I wonder if it became Irritating Stick for the PS1. Great game btw.

SNK was also dipping into the 4 player game scene as well. Right now on ng.com they are cracking the Kizuna 4 player wide open, Neo Bomberman also has a 4 player capability that needs to be figured out. in game you can see places for the 3rd and 4th player on the screen bar makes you wonder what other games they planned for 4 players.

5. Dion

Dion Robust Member

I thought Irritating Stick is the PS version of Irritating Maze.

Here is an interesting thought/question for everyone.... I always wondered what other games were in development for the Hyper NeoGeo. Surely there must be plenty of titles that were planned and/or possibly completed but never released. THAT is something worth looking into.

No. It would cost much more to have pcbs, cartridges, and boxes made.
    The big price is the mold to create the cartridges, boards, and boxes/case. After that, everything is relative. But in order to bring the cost down per unit, a person/company would need to make thousands and thousands (good if someone was doing mass released of more than one title).

Also, Bang Busters is from 1994 and belongs in an old/original style box. It does NOT belong in a snaplock case. If it's released in the wrong style box, it will show the people are not true Neo fans.

Zupapa was released by NeoGeoFreak/NGF-USA in 2001, but since it was an original 1994 game, we used the correct box for the time frame.

[​IMG]

Zupapa FAQ: http://www.ngfusa.com/zupapa/zupapa.htm

6. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

Don't even get me started on the Hyper 64. I love it very much. I really do wish there were more games for it. The 3D is meh but the 2D is brilliant on it.

As for titles i wish they made for the Hyper:

Metal Slug
    WindJammers
    Buriki One 2000
    Last Blade
    Bowling
    Pool
    Golf
    Neo Drift Out
    FPS Nam 1975

Do you know if there were any games in development for it. Sadly it ended with only 7 games.

7. neogeocdworld

neogeocdworld Spirited Member

8. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Dion as a businessman I can't see how your monthly carrying costs of rent and such aren't eliminating any profit you might make on that dead stock.

You must be paying at least 12K rent a year on storage.

At what point do you just cut your losses if it's not worth making new carts?

9. Dion

Dion Robust Member

As I said before, we have no extra stock and that is why we aren't offering any more mass releases. We basically sold out many years ago. I now have less than 100 carts available, and maybe 100 cds, and that's it. Now I just answer the occasional email I get when people contact me looking for something.

**To elaborate on office/storage**

OFFICES

At first we had a small office front. We had 2 desktop computers, a huge laser printer, separate over-sized scanner, separate fax machine, 2+2 line phones, a few desks, file cabinets, and made phone calls, brokered deals, and made various sales from that space (not just neogeo). As computers and the new "all-in-one" printers got better, smaller, cheaper, and as the internet came of age, we didn't need the office anymore, as we mostly worked from our home offices. But most our overstock was always in a storage unit.

STORAGE

Storage was only costing less than $2000 per year ($150 per month), but I was also storing other items (arcade cabinets, etc...). It was nothing fancy, we just rented out one of those self storage units to house all of the stock we had. Once most of the stock (especially the big arcade cabinets) were sold, both Chris and myself moved our stock into our garages (half in vegas and the other half in denver). So at that point there was no rent/storage fees. It was just taking up a portion of the garage (we each had 3 car garages).

I'll start another thread to discuss the buyout we did, and to show some costs (people will freak out at the deals we got).

10. Rawit

Rawit Spirited Member

Did you ever see a Samurai Spirits RPG cartridge? I wondered if development started as a cartridge or that it was developed directly for CD. The only dev hardware I saw for Neo Geo is all cartridge based. I think a lot of people would like to see a Samurai Spirits RPG cartridge.

It's nice to read about the NGF history. I became interested in Neo Geo in the period some members of another forum were giving their opinion on your business. Curious about your experiences with SNK Japan. Never understood how they could create a profitable business with the home consoles.

11. Dion

Dion Robust Member

Coding for the aes/mvs and cd are generally the same, minus the music. So, someone should be able to reverse program Samurai rpg and convert it to cartridge format. (that was supposedly what happened with zintrick).

Feel free to ask any questions about NeoGeoFreak in the "NGF History" thread.

As for you wondering if/how SNK could make money on the aes market... they made quit a bit!! AES cartridges in japan sold 10s to 100s of thousands units each!! Even at a small number like 10,000 units, the NET profit would be $1,500,000+ per title. Larger releases (KoF, Samurai, Fatal Fury series sold over 100,000 units each. HUGE net profits. And those profits were just bonuses to the net profits from the mvs sales. So it was basically free/extra money without much upfront/extra investment.

12. _SD_

_SD_ Resolute Member

So is this a one-off you made for yourself, or are there collectors out there with this in their possession, and how many?

[​IMG]

13. Dion

Dion Robust Member

For sure we sold many copies. These were not a mass release issue, and we only made them one at a time as a special order.

I don't know exact numbers, but I would say 50+- collectors own this title.

One such collector is the biggest video game collectors I've ever met. He has self storage units filled with video games. He also owns Fun Fun Brothers, Bang Busters, Crossed Swords 2, as well as Warlocks.

14. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

do you know about any neo geo collector that have a huge collection similar to yours ?

15. TonK

TonK Guest

Because it was not an official release.

IIRC, Richard Hilton purchased a cart from you and opened it to find a sacced World Heroes 2 cart with EPROMS.

Having held and owned a NGF KOF2K, I know its the real deal. Although it wasnt printed by SNK Japan.

Releasing such titles, one would assume you kept the original ROM dumps of the above mentioned games?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  16. Dion

Dion Robust Member

Come on Mike, go back a few pages and read what I wrote.

Everything we did was 100% official (remember that frivolous attempt at a lawsuit and the settlement agreement whereas playmore issued a press release stating we were 100% official and fully authorized).

Anyway, if you go back and read my replies, I tried to explain that since we had over 5000 new old stock AES cartridges, we made mass releases of 6 games. Zupapa was one that had a production count of 500.

We had agreements and received the art files from aruze/snk-japan/face. We made the Zupapas from our new old stock and mvs roms. Even our zupapa page says "Made in the USA."

Good to see you're still in the mix.

Chris and myself had the exact same collection with the same rarities, arts, sketches, and collectibles. Whenever we received art files, and when we cleaned out snk, we split any items and artworks evenly between us.

I have met many people that have complete neogeo aes/cd collections, neogeo freak magazine full runs, and various collectibles. But I've never met anyone that has items that Chris and myself acquired., and I wouldn't expect anyone to only because of the direct connections we had with snk-japan and snk-america.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  17. _SD_

_SD_ Resolute Member

So if I wanted to purchase Last Odyssey and Warlocks of the Fates AES carts, would that be possible? Would Chris or yourself be up for doing a couple of conversions if it was worth it financially?

18. TonK

TonK Guest

O.K., I overlooked that, about the ROM dumps?

19. TonK

TonK Guest

So you still have the ROM dumps?

20. Flavor

Flavor Active Member

Hey Dion and all. I remember reading about all the drama back in the day. I have to say that it seemed overblown. I'm not concerned about insert shredding or any of that, though. Your willingness to discuss things finally brought me out of lurker status here.

So, the thread is about Neo prototypes, but I'm interested in Pocket stuff. I know that you're not as interested in the Neo Geo Pocket side of things, but I do think that you have possessed proto carts and such. Are you just not interested in it as a gaming platform? Were you still a collector there?

For some reason, information about unreleased Neo Geo Pocket games is very scarce. You have already mentioned a list of unreleased MVS/AES games that you own/owned. Do you own any unreleased games? Have you ever seen any NGP(C) games that were never released? What info can you give about the Pocket that might not be known?

As for rights that NGF still has, are you able to produce games? People have already asked about releasing AES/MVS carts (sac, new builds, etc). What about the potential to do this for the NGPC? If you had an unreleased game and a way to put it on a cartridge, could you sell it?

What about a game that was never officially translated to English? Could you secure the rights to translate it and release a cartridge version if you wanted to?