Lets Talk Neo Geo Prototypes.

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by TonK, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Where?

2. mrmark0673

mrmark0673 Robust Member

Haven't seen them myself, though I can't really say that I care. When it comes to proto discussion, a few Neo protos with little available info are pretty irrelevant to most proto collectors, so I'm not going to hold my breath ;-)

In other news, I tossed new pics of 9 NES protos I got in not too long ago on my collector's page: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24441

Only took me a minute and it'll give some people something to talk about while waiting for updates in this thread. Enjoy!

*Edit for grammar

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  3. Dion

Dion Robust Member

mrmasrk, very nice pictures. Since you were so kind to show some photos, I'll do the same.
    (I never respond well when people attack and DEMAND that I do something).

Here are some photos that I have (I'll add more soon)

neo collector holding two unreleased titles:
    Crossed Swords 2 and Warlocks of the Fates

[​IMG]

Last Odyssey by Monolith 1995
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neo Pool Master by Saurus 1997
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. n64coder

n64coder Robust Member

Wow, those are huge carts. It's amazing how electronics get smaller and smaller over time.

5. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

great pictures ! first time ever I see those IC flash memory

6. Dion

Dion Robust Member

Thanks jonathan.

Stories and photos
    Also, people have NO IDEA the neogeo collection I have. Art files, sketches, unreleased titles, brochures, printouts, negatives, positives, etc... Check my photo albums on this site and you'll see the photos I've already uploaded.

I have always been willing to share all the information with everyone. I always share information with interesting stories and my unique writing style. Plus I provide photos to spark the excitement.

Proof has always been provided

As I said many times, people need to stop demanding things and I'll eventually post photos. People should know I always back up everything I say with documented proof and/or photos.

7. guwange

guwange Member

Thank you Dion for sharing with us this information.
    For example, I didn't know that Saurus had developed Neo pool master in 1997.
    What I know is that Saurus was a good developer and I think Neo pool master must be a good game.
    In this link, Neo Pool master is not mentioned.

http://www.neogeoprotos.com/puzzle.htm

8. Dion

Dion Robust Member

Not everyone is an expert. lol

Most of the information on that person's proto page came from me. The person who created that page used to send me emails and he would phone me to speak on neogeo information.

Trackball Games
    Neo Pool Master and the Irritating Maze Returns were under development for trackball games. I always wondered and I am reasonably sure more trackball games were being made, such as a bowling and a golf game.

I have an snk promotion sheet stating that the trackball cabinet was to provide operators with the same easy mvs cartridge system that would allow arcade operators to buy specialty trackball games with the ease of cartridge format and it mentions
    "bowling, golf, pool, and more titles on the way."

9. ShovelThumb

ShovelThumb Gutsy Member

10. guwange

guwange Member

Games that interest me the most are Mystic Wand, Last Odyssey and Karate Ninja Sho . Dion, I rarely read your opinion on games. You gotta know Devil's Crush. Last Odyssey is it as good as devil's crush?

11. guwange

guwange Member

Translation of neo geo freak 1996 vol 10, this game was announced on neo geo .

[​IMG]

--- START PAGE 1 ---

True to its name, the just recently founded Yumekobo is a company that
    produces dreams!!

This time in our "Neo-Geo-Related Producer-Interview" we talked to
    Yumekobo which was just founded in August 1996 (Heisei 8). They are currently developing the software Karate Ninja Sho for Neo Geo. We asked mainly about the foundation of the new company and the new software. Mr. [Nobuyuki Okuide], Representative Director of Yumekobo, kindly answered our questions.

Founding a strong Thirdparty-Company

- As it is a new company, let's start with the presentation of the company.

# Well, SNK founded this company together with Mr. [Teruo Inoue] (before Representative Director of Eicom), me (before CEO of Takara) and others under joint investment and it is game developing company.

We started with 80 employees of which a part comes from Eicom. As it is a new company that was just founded on August 2nd we are hoping for support (from the community).

- What is exactly your business plan?

# That is mainly the development of original software concentrating on the Neo Geo but also for PS and Sega Saturn. [Besides we are also planning to port Neo Geo Software to the other two platforms.]

At the moment there are 4 titles under development including Karate Ninja Sho and from now on as a core of SNK's thirdparty we want to enhance the lineup for the Neo Geo.

Fun-Action-Game Karate Ninja Sho

- Well then, please tell us something about the title you are currently developing, Karate Ninja Sho.

# I'll just start with the story: the earth is attacked by the [Snayker]-invaders and with the first attack America and soon the whole world is invaded.

Mankind already has no light of hope. But right when everybody thinks, that there is nothing else than waiting for death, the main characters of the game appear on the scene.

They are masters of the "Hishoryu Ninjutsu", a secret fighting technique that has been handed down since the Warring States period in Japan, and are the 4 "Karate Ninja Sho", "Karate Ninja Ai", "Karate Ninja Gun" and "Karate Ninja Shin[..]".

These 4 take actions to put an end to the world of war. That's the story.

- This sounds like a severe development of the story. Let's come then to the most important point, the concept of Karate Ninja Sho.

--- END OF PAGE 1 ---

[​IMG]

--- START PAGE 2 ---

# This game is an orthodox action game but its selling point is that small
    characters bring down huge and strong enemies.

There are also a lot of special techniques and other flashy stuff but for example it can be controlled using only one button and I hope that not
    only game enthusiasts but a large group will be playing it. Of course it does also feature a two player coop mode.

- How many special attacks does each character have?

# We prepared 12 kinds of special attacks per character. Each of those
    makes use of the fighter's characteristics. You can also expect some [polished] graphics.

_With the release set for autumn there's something to wait for!_

- When will it possibly appear in game centers?

# Right now "Karate Ninja Sho" is on location test and we are fixing
    some details. Next will be to [straighten] it a little more and we are
    planning to release it in autumn, so please wait just a bit.

- Let me ask you about Yumekobo's next developments.

# As I already said in the part about the company we are putting all our
    efforts into "Karate Ninja Sho". After that we will concentrate on porting SNK software for the Neo Geo to PS and Saturn although we don't have a particular title in mind yet. But of course we will also be developing original titles.

- What message do you have for our readers?

# We will now start making games for the Neo Geo and want to develop the
    production of new and fun games. Please support Yumekobo, the company that makes dreams.

_Very unique main characters - The 4 Karate Ninja_

- Before, you kindly explained the basics of the story. Now, please tell
    us more about the 4 main characters.

# This time each appearing main character is accompanied by a protecting god/spirit. This also defines the fighter's character.

Sho has a blue dragon and is balanced both in attack power and speed.

(...)

traps in each stage, some of them can also be used to the advantage of the fighter

10 different endings

(...)

---

The most important is that you confirm Last Odyssey as a good game .

12. Dion

Dion Robust Member

Freak magazines are awesome
    I'm familiar with that interview (I have all issues of neogeo freak magazines) and I provided most of the proto information that available online. The two pages that are from that issue are pages 84 and 85.

Ported over
    Yes it was announced for neogeo.
    But those screen shots are not for/from a neogeo.
    They were going to be porting over/translating some of their popular game series to the neogeo.

Yumekobo may have made and started KNS on different jamma style arcade hardware, or maybe for another home console all together, and maybe later they intended on making it/porting it for the neogeo.
    But those screen shots in particular are not neogeo.

Those screens seem to be from snes, turbo, or early jamma arcade.

13. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

Exactly what I wanted to see Dion, thank you for that. So Neo Pool Master is made by Saurus? Shit, I was thinking Nazca/SNK this whole time. Now it makes me wonder how the game would far because we know Nazca is a great game developer and NTF was a smash hit but Saurus, hmm. I love irritating maze but makes me wonder.

How does NPM play, is it a pretty good billiards game? How complete percentage wise would you say it is?

14. Dion

Dion Robust Member

No problem Xian.
    I said I always back up everything I say with documented proof and/or photos. I've been in the neo business since the beginning and thus I've been lucky to have the connections I did at the right time. Sometimes people just contact me and tell me that they have a game that there is no information on. That is how we found Fun Fun Brothers.

Neo Pool Master by Saurus

I made posts on it years ago telling everyone it's from Saurus. You may be able to find old archived news section on the "way back machine" from www.neogeofreak.com from 1999-2001, I made announcements of these games.

Neo Pool Master is a true proto.
    The game's not complete and the gameplay isn't polished. (think how diggerman is unpolished)
    No music either. Title screen looks good, but there is no attract mode programmed.

It looked to be a pretty interesting trackball game. Very unique in the way the shoot system works.

15. neogeocdworld

neogeocdworld Spirited Member

do you know if Neo Pool Master should be edit on NeoGeo CD too ?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  16. guwange

guwange Member

Kuk, c'est sengoku 2 .;-)

No music . I think that many games of Saurus have good music .

Another question for Dion .
    Do you have beta versions of games where it's more interesting than the officially released version ?
    For example in a French magazine ( 1993 ), we can see that in sengoku 2, we can fight without swords . ( bare hands )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  17. neogeocdworld

neogeocdworld Spirited Member

:thumbsup:

18. leslie collins

leslie collins Member

i like to get iorn clad

were can i find it at

19. _SD_

_SD_ Resolute Member

NCI's Bang Bang Busters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. vectrex_rox

vectrex_rox Enthusiastic Member

wow how sweeet that mvs flashcart pcb reminds me so much of the MGD2 Neogeo Adapter cart ;) ;) ;)