Lets Talk Neo Geo Prototypes.

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by TonK, Jun 1, 2009.

1. neogeocdworld

neogeocdworld Spirited Member

Hello

like i said in the text (in french) Samurai Shodown RPG 2 and Crystalis 2 are probably mystake of journalist, and not real

2. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

I think this question was one that got missed. Can you shed any light on what this cart was, Dion? Here are the pics again:

WTF is that on the back?!?!

So it's a Savage Reign prototype with a floppy disc label?

3. Dion

Dion Robust Member

I don't know why everyone loves the term "prototype" for an unreleased game. The only prototype neo games that I know of are Diggerman and Neo Pool Master. Those two games are not finished/incomplete.

Yes, that was a pre release of Savage Reign.
    It's a final/finished product that was sent to NeoGeoFreak for play/screen photos.

I think Chris sold that to a collector sometime in 2002/2003. I don't remember all the details, as I wasn't the one that handled the sale.

My Ironclad had the same label back in 1998/99.

4. retro

Well, technically a prototype is a pre-release cartridge. It doesn't assume that the game is unreleased, as the term prototype would have been used at the time of distribution by some. Others used terms such as 'Lab Loaner', 'sample', 'evaluation' or 'demo'. Oh, and they often say 'not for sale', of course. I would say that a prototype is a pre-release cartridge (or disk, but they tend to be just called alphas, betas or promos) used either to test an alpha/beta, or to demonstrate a game (e.g. to the media, so it could well be the final build still).

I guess the term comes from prototyping PCBs. Note that Atari's Lab Loaner carts had the address of the Prototype Lab ;-) Admittedly, very few actually have prototype on them.

So this is a prototype (or sampler if you prefer) as SNK would have sent it out, then?

I would call the other two games betas (or even alphas), personally. Yes, they're still prototypes, but that's what I think most of us would say to distinguish.

5. retro

My first console was a 2600. I had a halfhearted attempt at collecting Atari games when I was younger. Well, I collected games in general. I had a fondness for the obscure - rare retail games, promos, prototypes etc. Oh, and anything that could be bought on a budget! Atari games were considered old hat, so you'd get them for next to nothing ;-)

I used to hang around in the local import shop, then became friends with the owner of a new games shop, and later worked for them. They often got offered interesting things - promos from distributors etc.

When space became an issue, I settled down and concentrated on Sega Saturn. I have some prototype hardware for that, and a few betas. I probably have a few Nintendo prototypes left, too.

Oh yeah, and I had THE prototype English Barcode Battler. The only one. The machine differed from a Japanese import shown on television, and I still have the English proof manual, with corrections annotated.

6. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

Views do very slightly but yes typically any game that isn't in the final stages of production from the data to the board to the cart label and packaging would be considered pre-production and of interest to those who collect prototypes. Released games with differences are more exciting than released games with no data differences but chances are someone out there will want it all the same. Now unreleased titles are clearly the most desirable and always of interest to collectors.

7. mrmark0673

mrmark0673 Robust Member

Err, what? I have (what I think to be at least) the 2nd largest NES prototype collection around and have never experienced what you're talking about. Claiming to have something without snapping a pic is usually viewed as dick waiving, doesn't really help the cause at all, and can be avoided with about 5 seconds work and a digital camera.

Yeah, having 100+ protos come through my hands across many platforms, I can definitely say I have no idea what you're talking about.

8. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

That's the big difference between neo-geo collectors and other videogame collectors.

9. mrmark0673

mrmark0673 Robust Member

Naw, not really. There isn't a major proto collector, past or present, that gets hung up on people calling them out on owning a game that needs to spend more than a minute trying to defend themselves. Dreamtr, TheRedEye, Wonder007, Tempest, TRM; none of these guys get accosted for alleging to own something that few people believe they own. They have all shared pics, video, ROM dumps, etc.

Protos are protos, pretending the Neo is anything different just seems silly.

10. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

The individual is the difference. Pictures are pictures, posting a pic is not the same as dumping the rom and giving it away. People just wanted to see pictures, that is all.

Whenever I have a proto I always snap pics for others to see, it's no problem. Protos are never pretty to look at, it's usually an ugly cart with a homemade looking label.

11. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

Please tell me you still have those VHS tapes. Anyway you can upload them or have someone upload them? I'd love to see them in action.

12. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

It's pretty simple. Post pictures of what you have or don't bother talking about it.

I don't think there's anything controversial about this process.

13. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

This is such a strange debate. You're saying that you have certain things. People are requesting, as a favour, that you to show them your stuff. You're saying "we did it lots in the past on VHS tape". I'm wondering what relevance that has in 2011.

14. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

So presumably it's no biggie for you to post those again?

15. Neo-Alec

Neo-Alec Rapidly Rising Member

I'm the one who put the games on your old collector's tape on youtube. Fun Fun Brothers, Mystic Wand and Dunk Star. Nobody else had bothered to post them for some reason. Last Odyseey is not on youtube. I've yet to see that game running.

16. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

Nobody here is asking for proofs.
    We just want to see pictures of neo-geo prototypes (on a topic called "lets talk neo geo prototypes", I tend to believe that such request is relevant)

17. _SD_

_SD_ Resolute Member

I've yet to come across a single person online that claims to have played one of your protos. Normally, I would expect playing an unreleased Neo game would be something for most people to boast about on t interweb.

Did someone from the US District Court sit there with an AES and MVS set-up and test each individual cart to make sure it was what it appeared to be? Or did some random clerk just list what it said on the pile of game boxes they were given? Anything could have been on the cart that was in the Warlocks of the Fates box.

I think this is a totally reasonable request.

And as for VHS tapes. V. H. Fucking. S! Seriously. I haven't owned a VCR for at least 12 years and that makes me feel old. Considering how much you love taking pictures of yourself, I don't think it's going too far to assume you have a half decent camera, HD Camcorder or phone with a decent camera.

Why not make some new HD videos of these unreleased games and finally put the argument to rest?

18. DarthCloud

DarthCloud Fiery Member

+1

19. Dion

Dion Robust Member

The title is "Let's talk about neogeo prototypes." Keyword being TALK.
    As I've said countless times, I have posted photos and videos of these games.

SD, you bring up a good and very valid point.
    But since playmore took NeoGeoFreak on "Alleged Copyright Infringment" they actually had one of their technicians check each game. Playmore did the same to Arcade Infinity and DAX on their mvs games (they found DAX and Arcade Infinity KoF2002, MS3 to have reproduced boards and chips).

A technician from playmore tested and opened the games to verify the boards and/or roms were authentic, as would be the circumstances in any alleged copyright infringment case. Also, our Ironclad had no insert/no cart sticker, and the only way to label that game in the discovery process was to plug the cartridge in and see the title.

Part of our settlement was my claim that our NGF games were damaged during the discovery process and handling. But our settlement was so lucrative I would have let them keep everything.

So now you're saying if I take more videos, of higher quality, people will now believe it?? So my photos, previous videos, playmore's testimony, and US District court's validation is not enough, but one more video will be??

I don't really want people asking me for more photos or proof on a game that is my property and especially since there is already tons of proof and validation on.

In this thread, lets keep talking and discussing unreleased neo games. Let's not harass anyone over photos. And if people are going to ask myself, or anyone else for photos, please try to be cordial about it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  20. _SD_

_SD_ Resolute Member

I really don't see what further discussion can be had.

It would appear that you're the only person in the world (along with Chris) who allegedly owns these last few unreleased Neo Geo prototype games. Considering your relationship with SNK this makes sense and really isn't surprising.

So unless you're willing to post screen shots or videos I really can't see how much further this thread can go. There's nothing more to talk about: You allegedly have these games. We don't. You're basically refusing to post pictures or take any new video footage of said games. We'd like to see photos and videos considering the nature of this forum.

This is going to continue going round in circles. Might as well close the thread.