"Let's make GD ROM emulation happen" Facebook group.

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by sonicdude10, Jun 18, 2012.

1. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Yes Sir.

2. mickcris

mickcris Site Supporter 2014,2015

Cool, just wondering as it's still questionable whether its compatible with VA0 boards or not.

3. citrus3000psi

Yep I'm curious to know the install too. His 3do usb device isn't the most user friendly install, so I could see the dreamcast install being the same. As in; not geared towards plug and play style.

4. Comp1demon

Comp1demon Spirited Member

I am getting one of the 3d0 devices I will do a Tutorial on the install when I get it.

Perhaps some videos/tutorial of the dreamcast one when you get it please.

5. mickcris

The only hard part of the 3do install is removing the ic. I stupidly dremeled mine off. I luckily did not damage anything, but it was not a good way to do it and dont recommend doing it that way.

I am still thinking the DC board looks like its just going to plug in, but I could be wrong.

6. citrus3000psi

I used quickchip on mine :)

I just got a pm from zerowing

7. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

How many days has it been since it was posted, mine is still in kazakhstan :-( well I assume its left now since it was at an airport, but bugger knows since it's all Russian lol wish I said to use DHL.

8. citrus3000psi

It was shipped/dropped off on the 15th in kazakhstan and it got to US customs on the 20th.

Where are you located? I'm using the standard usps tracking.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  9. fluxcore

fluxcore Spirited Member

Yeah, I'd be wary of shoving one of those into a VA0 until it's clear that he has designed it to cope with both 3.3V and 5V signals.

10. citrus3000psi

No pics tonight. Looks like I have to sign for the package. I should be able to pick it up at the post office tomorrow am.

11. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic Spirited Member

Plug and play? You mean my dumbass could do this?

Can't wait to hear more. But I have a USA Dreamcast manufactured in August 1999, so it sounds like I am probably VA0?

12. mickcris

Yeah, you just plug it in like the gd-emu after removing the gdrom. You would have to cut out a hole in the back for the usb port though. What region console do you have? It should have a number in a circle on the sticker on the bottom of the console (I think its only not there on japanese consoles). If its a 0, then you have a VA0, etc... Most common version is the VA1.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  13. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic Spirited Member

Oh, hey! Good call, I have a 1.

Also, I totally forgot about the hole needed. I would probably want to commission someone to cut that for me because I do not trust myself to do that.

14. neuroacid

neuroacid Rising Member

GDmenu v0.01 for GDEMU

Hey guys, I was bored and decided to develop a very basic menu to use with the GDEMU.

If like me you have your dreamcast collection spread across a few 32GB SDHC cards, you know how much of a pain it is to navigate through them and select the game you want to play.
    Hopefully this application will make that process less painful.

I decided to call it "GDmenu" and it is just a temporary solution while we wait for Deunan to release his menu.
    I wanted to make it simple and as easy to use as possible.
    It was made in a couple weekends of work and with no previous experience in dreamcast dev/KOS.
    Some bugs are to be expected since it went through very little testing, although I haven't had any problems so far and KOS is very stable.

gdmenu1.png

It displays the currently selected game name and the disc number in case its a multi-disc game, based on the info contained on the ip.bin.
    After selecting the game you can just hit the (A) button to start it.
    You can also build a list of the games present on your SD card while cycling through them and hitting (X) to save it to the VMU after that.
    Next time you start the menu the list will be loaded automatically.
    There is also the possibility of saving multiple lists and cycle between them with (RT) and (LT).
    Each saved list contains in its description the number of the SD card that it belongs to.
    Pressing the (Y) button allows you to go back to the BIOS menu.
    In case you want to get rid of a list simply delete the corresponding save file from the VMU.
    The lists are saved and loaded from the VMU on A1 port and each one occupies 2 blocks.

gdmenu2.png

Unfortunately you still need to use the tactile switch on GDEMU to cycle through the games (a remote pcb with two switches helps a lot).
    But anyway I find it a much better solution than using the built-in music player, because a lot of games don't have the 0GDTEX.PVR file.

Hope this is useful for the people out there with a GDEMU.

Download
    gdmenu(23-8-2014).zip

All you need to do is extract the gdmenu.cdi and copy it to the folder 01 of your SD card and rename it to disc.cdi.
    If that folder is already occupied you can always use the "GDEMU SD Card Maker" tool by madsheep to rearrange your folders.
    Also to make the menu more responsive it is recommend to add a file name GDEMU.ini to the root of your SD card with the two following lines inside:
    open_time = 150
    detect_time = 150

More info on that inside the accompanying readme.txt

Feel free to report any bugs or make suggestions...

Anthony817 likes this.
  15. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

Pretty impressive.

16. petterk

petterk Spirited Member

Impressive! You even did it before Deunan did:)

Great job, although I dont have a GDEMU...

17. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

awesome job on the menu!

18. Helder

Helder Site Supporter 2014,2015

Mine is coming in and with this menu application it will be a perfect match for my lazy ass, great work!

19. hundredtwenty

hundredtwenty <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

It’s pretty much perfect! No Issues whatsoever, list saving works flawless. Nice! If it could be controlled cia controller there wouldn’t even be
    a need for Deunan’s menu. :)

But that won’t happen without access to his code, right? I’m no expert but it seems you’re just reading out the currently loaded disc? Anyway, awesome. Makes my GDEMU twice as enjoyable.

20. citrus3000psi

Got the usb controller installed and running, zero issues, install is a piece of cake.

The package:
    [​IMG]

How it was packed:

[​IMG]

Piece of paper/cardboard cutting template for the usb jack in the back.

[​IMG]

The board:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Va1 Dreamcast:

[​IMG]

Now for the install; remove the modem and you will see a total of 4 black screws that need to be removed:

[​IMG]

Flip the unit back over and the the top comes right out. Next there are three gold screws holding the cd-rom/controller in place. Take these out and pull up on the unit. It pops out.

[​IMG]

Next tape the template to the top part of the case:

[​IMG]

I used this style of file to remove the material:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next simply plug the board into the connector. Put the case back together; using the original 4 black screws. And presto:

[​IMG]

A picture with the lid open:

[​IMG]

Success!

[​IMG]

I can confirm the unit also works with optimized gdi images. I can also say its extremely weird play with cd rom not jamming out tunes.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014