"Let's make GD ROM emulation happen" Facebook group.

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by sonicdude10, Jun 18, 2012.

1. h1ghju1ce2

h1ghju1ce2 Member

I've finally managed to solve this issue, seems the cards I was trying to use to update werent reading properly, I purchased a new 32GB card, put the FW file on it, and
    it flashed perfectly straight away (noticeably different LED flashing behavior this time)

GDMenu now works as expected , very happy :)

2. Spec

Spec Rising Member

Is there anything new going on here? There hasn't been any new posts in awhile. Any news on a new version of GDEmu or the GDEMU SD CARD MAKER ? Some info would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. b1uechr1s

b1uechr1s Active Member

Spec likes this.
  4. nexus45

nexus45 Member

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if it's possible to have multiple occurrences of GDMenu on a single SD Card?

What I'm trying to achieve is:
    - 1) GDMenu
    - 2) Action Replay
    - 3) GDMenu
    - 4) Game01
    - 5) Game02
    - etc, etc...

This setup would allow me to either boot a game or the Action Replay, and if the latter to return to GDMenu to chose a game to boot with the Action Replay codes active.

So far I couldn't manage to make it work, as GDMenu would only show 1) and 2), and stop listing anything from the second GDMenu folder.

Regards,

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  5. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

Action Replay doesn't work that way. (Same deal for other cheat devices as well) You can't have anything such as a menu sitting between the AR and the game you want to apply codes to. Codes only work because the AR is able to load the game and patch it. Throwing GDMenu into the mix means the cheat device tries to patch GDMenu instead, and in turn your game gets loaded without patches thus no codes.

Besides, GDmenu is a CDI. I don't think Action Replay works with MIL-CD? (Not sure) If it helps, the Codebreaker and Xploder cheat devices tell you what game is currently inserted so you can slowly switch games with the GDEmu button until you've made it to the one you want.

It seems like there's a lot of interest in applying cheat device codes to games recently.

6. nexus45

nexus45 Member

Well, I did manage to apply Cheats to a GDI (Shenmue II 16/9 hack for the record), while using GDMenu to select my game, so it's definitely possible, with this configuration:

- 1) Action Replay
    - 2) GDMenu
    - 3) Game01
    - 4) Game02

Edit: video POC, to get rid of any skepticism: http://www.mediafire.com/watch/vcyx516limlir2c/GDMenu_-_Action_Replay.MOV

Note that, strangely, at reboot on GDMenu, the Action Replay appears at last position while it actually sits in folder 01.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  7. neuroacid

neuroacid Rising Member

The behavior you describe with the menu, happens because it's position dependent and always assumes it's the disc image #1 in the list, so things get re-numbered around when it isn't.

However, this will change in the future with some of the recent firmware changes... I'll be able to fully decouple the menu navigation from the up/down commands on the ODE and avoid any timing issues altogether.
    Also I plan to either add a way to select the game you want to load alongside the codebreaker whenever selecting it from the menu, or install an handler alongside with it that hooks somewhere and lets you change disc images by pressing specific controller inputs while CB is running. Unfortunately I just don't have the time for it right now, as I'm busy with other things.

By the way, what you did works only because you are specifically using the Action Replay. Unlike GameShark, it does something a little more clever and its trainer is copied to a safer place that isn't touched/cleaned-up during boot. Then, only when execution reaches a certain "trigger" it copies itself to its regular location in system ram.
    The GameShark on the other hand, doesn't have to worry about it, because it was created for the US market and when you start the boot process in 'NTSC mode' the bios bootstrap simply ignores the area where its trainer is initially stored, although the menu's bootloader does in fact kill it.

In conclusion, while it may seem to work somewhat fine for you, I definitely don't recommend doing that, because having a trainer patching memory while the menu is running, is very likely to end-up creating problems sooner or later.

Hope that this explanation makes some sense.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    NightbreedUK likes this.
  8. nexus45

nexus45 Member

Alright neuroacid, thanks for the reply and the explanations!

9. AhmedXyz

AhmedXyz Rapidly Rising Member

Is it possible to mod a va0 for gdemu? Specifically, is it merely a question of different voltages between revisions or a completely different pinout?

10. madsheep

madsheep Robust Member

GDEMU SD CARD MAKER 1.05
    - Small language fixes
    - Window location and state saving
    - CCD,MDS Support
    - NEUROACID's latest Menu 0.5.2

Download
    http://xxx.biskoto.gr/GDEMU_SD.rar

Auyx, Spec and S4pph4rad like this.
  11. Spec

Spec Rising Member

Thanks madsheep. :)

On a side topic, here's a brainstorm idea.

Does anyone know of an SD CARD adaptor exists that connects to the GDEMU which allows a USB or SATA or even IDE hard drive to function with it?

Kinda looks something like this so you get the picture:
    [​IMG]

Or maybe this?

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  12. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Would require extremely fast drives, as the problem with most cards that don't work is that the random seek time gets too long sometimes. I don't know any hard drives, bar SSD, with sd-card level random access times.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Spec likes this.
  13. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic Spirited Member

So funny that you mention the Mobiadapter. I read about this a couple of months ago and thought it'd be a brilliant solution for the Rhea, but it's been long since out of production, and no other company has been interested in making a product like it (understandably so). The main issue with the Mobiadapter is that it's limited to the 32GB SDHC specification, so it doesn't really solve the storage issue.

14. Nukkus

Nukkus Member

Has anyone else tried Chu Chu Rocket on their GDEMU? When i try to play it is for some reason plays only in japanese, despite the GDI coming off a NA copy.

15. Braintrash

Braintrash Robust Member

What is the language of your Dreamcast (ie. what language do the DC system menu use?)

16. Nukkus

Nukkus Member

english, and it's a NTSC/U system.

17. Braintrash

Braintrash Robust Member

Strange.
    Might be related to the GDI. Was it done by yourself or downloaded from somewhere? Patched in anyway?

18. Nukkus

Nukkus Member

Ripped from my own disc. No patches.

19. madsheep

madsheep Robust Member

if you are using the menu try without it

20. rtw

rtw Site Supporter 2012,2015

May I ask how you ripped it ? I ripped my Chu Chu Rocket (PAL) using the BBA and it works flawlessly.