"Let's make GD ROM emulation happen" Facebook group.

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by sonicdude10, Jun 18, 2012.

1. rey1178

rey1178 Rising Member

I hear ya. Judging by the other usb devices made by mnemo, I don't think the menu will change much. I can live with that as long as everything else works perfectly.

keropi likes this.
  2. Comp1demon

Comp1demon Spirited Member

Could you not built it into the PC program, that once the card is all set up it can scan the card on teh PC and create the LIST file so the Dreamcast don't have to do it?

3. madsheep

madsheep Peppy Member

yes that is what my GDEMU SD CARD MAKER does

4. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

i used madsheep's SD Card Maker to set my SD card with the games, and i can remember that i had ticked the VGA option.

but i already asked him about this :

MoockyLoock said:
    I hope i could try this new menu this afternoon.
    i was wondering,
    @madsheep : when we use your GDEMU SD card Maker, we have a VGA option. Does it alter the games files internally or just apply a patch ?
    If i use set this new menu, do i have to reupload new game files without the VGA mark ?
    Thank you very much.
    No, you will be ok (patched games by my program will be booting with or without the new menu)

5. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

To be clear, madsheep's program does alter the files, but you don't have to cancel that for the new menu.

6. lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew Site Supporter 2012

According to Stone Age Gamer's facebook page, it looks like they'll be selling USB GD-ROM soon.

7. Scribe86

Scribe86 Member

Please someone create a user guide or video on how to correctly create a SD card using MadSheeps SD programme. I can navigate it and create a custom menu, however once it saves, loads the images again & finally says "done". And I ensure the list.ini is in the root of the sd card, I get no change when the SD card is placed within the Dreamcast. I don't get what I am doing wrong??

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

The menu's cdi file has to be copied manually to the sd-card I think. Although I don't remember clearly.

9. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

I just have to point the .cdi file of neuroacid menu in the first folder in SD Card Maker.

10. -=FamilyGuy=-

After you are finished processing with madsheep's program, there should be a cdi file in the program's folder, replace the original gdmenu cdi by that one.

11. NightbreedUK

NightbreedUK Rising Member

You don't put the list.ini in the root of the SD card - Madsheeps program generates the list.ini and recompiles the menu CDI file with it inside.

Put your SD card into your PC and run his program, after it has scanned the card it will list all your games.
    On the right hand side there are 3 check boxes, 1 for Menu 1 for VGA and 1 for Region. Make sure that the Menu checkbox is ticked
    When you are happy with your SD card content press save - it will ask you if you want to customise your menu.
    You only need to do this if you want to edit the game titles etc - if your happy with the SD card as it is then press no - the program will then generate a list.ini and recompile the menu CDI and place it into folder 01
    If you want to change some titles press yes and the menu editing box will come up.
    Make your changes and then press done. (The save button is just to save a backup copy of the list.ini onto your PC)

The program will then generate the list.ini then recompile the menu CDI and place it in folder 01

If you want to check that the menu with the list has been done on your PC - mount the CDI file from folder 01 and look at the contents in your PC, it should have 2 files 1st_read.bin and list.ini - if you have both of these then all is good :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  12. madsheep

madsheep Peppy Member

Step 1.
    Insert the SD CARD on the PC format it following the Card preparation guidelines: https://gdemu.wordpress.com/details/
    Step 2.
    Open GDEMU_SD.exe and select the later of your SDCARD
    [​IMG]
    Step 3.
    Add some games by + button or by Drag & Drop
    [​IMG]
    Step 4.
    Select the Menu Option
    [​IMG]
    Step 5.
    Press the SAVE Button
    [​IMG]
    Step 6.
    Press Yes if you want to customize your menu or NO if you want
    [​IMG]
    --Step 6.1
    *If you pressed NO go to Step 7.
    Customize your menu and press Done
    [​IMG]
    Step 7.
    Wait for the progress to finish
    Put the SDCARD to your DREAMCAST

Anthony817 likes this.
  13. Spec

Spec Rising Member

Cool tutorial for those who are lost or just joining in.

Again like family guy said, if you're upgrading from a previous version of GDMenu to the latest (GDMenu v0.5) and you want to use Madsheep's GDEMU_SD, in order for it to work properly you'll need to extract the 1ST_READ.BIN from within the GDMenu v0.5's "disc.cdi" using isobuster or winiso or which ever extracting tool you use. Place it into the files/data of the GDEMU_SD directory replacing the previous 1ST_READ.BIN. And yes, after this can you install GDMenu v0.5 using GDEMU_SD with no troubles as well can you install it manually.

After you've done your transferring of games, another good tip is to also manually check in the root of the SD card and make sure the GDEMU.ini looks like this:

open_time = 150
    detect_time = 150
    reset_goto = 1

If so, all is good. if not, just copy the above three lines into GDEMU.ini and save it.

Hope this clears all the confusion. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  14. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

madsheep, any chance you can do a menu for the USB-GDROM, or you'd need access to code from mnemo?

They're demoing it at Too Many Games in a couple weeks in Pennsylvania. When they get back home, they will put it for sale.

rey1178 likes this.
  15. madsheep

madsheep Peppy Member

neuroacid is making the menu, but for USB-GDROM you need first to get the communication protocol and second to find a way to boot the menu. the second step can me done only by mnemo because it is firmware side.

16. Compupaq

Compupaq Member

Preorders for the GDEMU are back up. I'll finally be able to see what all the hubbub is about.

17. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

I'm just joining in and I have just put in a order request since the pre-orders are now finally back up after months of waiting:(.
    This may have been asked before, so apologies if it has and my is question is about the VGA tick box in Madsheeps app.
    Is the VGA patch used for the GD menu to be displayed on a VGA display? or is it for non VGA enabled games to be patched so that they work? but I know some cannot to be patched at all for VGA.

I plan to use trurip GDI's and not CDI rips, so curious to know what this VGA option actually does.

Thanks

18. dakangel

dakangel Member

Hello°
    What happened to Ozone, Cybdyn and Mario projects??? all the tread has become a Deunan´s gdemu software repository and only the first 40 pages are interesting for research, investigation, programming and development of hardware.
    Can we open a new thread only for that and leave this for final users????

19. mvsfan

mvsfan Member

Is the Rhea menu almost ready?
    Is it going to be similar to the updated Gdmenu with IGR?

20. Anthony817

Anthony817 Fiery Member

I m curious how IGR works with GDMenu. Does code to do that sit in the system memory similar to how Gameshark codes work and it resets the system? I ask this because I know there is a bios with IGR built into it and when I seen GDMenu have that feature I assumed it was something to do with being a memory hack.