Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past beta comparison

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by badinsults, Nov 17, 2015.

1. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

There are a total of 16 screenshots of A Link to the Past that were given out by Nintendo at the third Shinshokai event in spring 1991. Some of these screens were included in the poster that came with the SNES. I have gone through and did a direct comparison of these beta shots and the final game.

http://www.snescentral.com/review.php?id=0164&num=1&fancy=yes&article=proto

If anyone knows of any other early screenshots for A Link to the Past, please let me know!

MainJP, vinyl, Syclopse and 6 others like this.
  2. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Unusually for games, looks like they delivered what was expected. There are minor differences like in the village but close enough in spirit to be the same as on the poster.

3. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Thanks for posting :)

4. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

That was very well put together. Thanks for posting that.

5. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Not too much but i liked it. Some parts looked better in the beta like the light from the Lantern and some textures like the floor ones

6. BobNewbie

BobNewbie Rapidly Rising Member

I have to agree. I don't know if it was Miyamoto himself or Nintendo's meticulous planning, but Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time must have had solid direction to pull off what they did at the times they delivered it. I know it's big now to plop OoT in the "worst 3D Zelda" category, but they are true achievements in the industry.

Respectfully, I totally disagree - The light from the lantern is pixelated and less polished, and the dungeon floor tile is far less detailed than the final. Everything else seems mostly the same with some possibly egregious palette choices.

It's nice to see more beta objects too, like the alternate lantern, statue, and prisoner/Zelda. The final doesn't have nearly as many unused assets as one would expect.

7. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

I meant the shape of the lantern's light... I always found it weird in the released game...

8. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Love it! Thanks for doing the comparison, I know at least one Zelda / Link fan who will enjoy looking at the differences!

9. Lunar_Lander

Lunar_Lander from outer space..

It looks like beside the hue & saturation (RGB metry scan problem ?), it's seems to be a minor difference of colors, specialy in the sanctuary shots.
    The palete was a bit adjusted or I'm wrong ?

Thanks for posting this, with a a good presentation as usual.

10. OniLink99999

OniLink99999 Rising Member

Thanks for writing this article badinsults! I've never really seen too much of ALTTP's beta, so it was a very interesting read. Actually, the guy in the red hat on the left in Kakariko Village reminds me of the Kokiri that was trying to lift up the rocks in OOT. Although it's probably just a walking frame =P

11. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Beta Nintendo stuff is always interesting. 64 era was best time for beta screenshots. You can see in final product how much they tried to polish and make it really good. Good article btw.