Lamprey board

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by LEo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

[​IMG]

Well we know this board can read write nand using a serial connection, and apparently can tinker with fuses on the cpu, It works on final hardware.

So any more info on this, that one sentence is pretty much all I know of it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. hacker360

hacker360 Spirited Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  3. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

Not mine^ I have high res pictures of it given by a friend that owns one. The point of this thread is inorder to know what else this does with an xbox.

Also the titan board is that thing beta 1 kits had. I know alot of rumors about these boards, Im going to ask some friends to give me permission to show some high res pictures of the lamprey along with some info of what was done with them behind the scenes.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. hacker360

5. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

Stop spamming the thread.

Argon is the daughter board that Xedks had, check speedy22 early documents about the 360 hardware

edit shit, it was titan board.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. hacker360

7. TheFallen93

TheFallen93 Spirited Member

1BL is ROM (READY ONLY MEMORY)...

8. KIWIDOGGIE

KIWIDOGGIE Peppy Member

1BL is RWOM

9. hacker360

10. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

highres front and back are intresting, also what U1 IC is that soic? 16

I asume the programs that they used are a bit more interesting, we already know alott about the internal headers. These boards are "just" the connections to "normal" connectors to mass programm Xboxes ? Maybe that IC containts fuses, or emulates some, or it just converts some protocol like i2c or SPI to serial.
    My thoughts, donno if its of any value.

11. kholdfuzion

kholdfuzion I kill consoles

the ic is a max3232

12. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

Its a serial converter. We actually attempted to make schematics for it a long time back, by looking at some pictures ;)

Well I have determined another use for this board was indeed to program early ROL boards with different firmware. Which would explain the argon pin header.

The function of the other serial conector is still on the air. I know people know what it does but simply dont care too much to share the information.

There was one document that was leaked where it talked about the lamprey and how you could use it to turn a retail board into a development board. Problem was that it probably documented the procedure used inorder to change a board that was still in MFC boot mode. Fact is, it defineatly involved using this hardware to do so.

This is a tibit from the document.
    I should also add, the fact it says AGILE docs is because agile was a contract mfc for microsoft, they went under in 2007.

13. deep3r

deep3r Fiery Member

Wasnt there something released not long ago to put any kit into boot mode?

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbQBJKgmta0

14. TheFallen93

TheFallen93 Spirited Member

Those are just console certificate flags.

#define XE_CONSOLE_TYPE_DEVKIT 0x00000001
    #define XE_CONSOLE_TYPE_RETAIL 0x00000002

15. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

Edit provided by aim

little more detail on them?
    Well ill stand by the theory that basically this document was an internal document used by AGILE co. contracted by MS to make devkits for them out of retail boards that still had not been exactly programmed or had any fuses burnt on them. It would make sense if it was this way, using this along with software for the lamprey probably burned the fuses needed to make a dev. This will not work on retails, ever. Even then, we won't ever get software for it.

So ill finish by saying, Lampreys can be used on retails/devs to read write the nand. It can be used to program proto Aragon (RoL) boards. Finally they could have been used at one point to use the cpu jtag to program fuses, and once that was done the cpu jtag was probably disabled. There is one more little tibit that these boards *might* have been able to read the 1bl off early Xedk proto kits.

16. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

One thing I don't get is:

If it's THAT secure (since once programmed as retail an console cannot be changed) why so much secrecy about this stuff ? It's not some alien technology one could use to take on the world or similar stuff ... :p

17. halo3

halo3 Robust Member

Because xbox 360 is the world's largest gaming console right now with millions of customers and massive amounts of revenue. If a bunch of private stuff on how to completely hack a retail 360 got out that would be bad since hackers always want to read backup games, and run unsigned code. This is bad for Microsoft and gaming companies since if a console can read copied games they make no money off a game; and reading unsigned code is bad since if it is online it ruins the online gaming experience costing Microsoft all their xbox live income...

18. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Eh ... Actually the Reset Glitch Hack and the JTAG Hack do achieve to "hurt" all what you mentioned. I don't think anyone with a Lamprey board will do anything interesting besides making the RoL blink. That's my point.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  19. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

Yeah this isn't the type of hardware a gaming company would want in the wild, considering it most likely is what they use to fix or debug Xbox in repair centers. So naturally yeah people would want to hide it. These have been around since the 360 came out in private hands.

20. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Its just a rs232 board is it? maybe a "programming" board. but very "dumb". I'm more interested into those Doc's ;-) and can we make a retail almost "clean" again and make a dev? for jtag? (maybe i just have to glitch my Jasper)