Lamont's Clock Tower/Haunting Ground Collection (WiP)

Discussion in 'Member Game Collections' started by Lamont, Sep 4, 2012.

1. emuler

emuler Rapidly Rising Member

Impressive, you won a long break from more "CT - 3rd grade interrogatories". The Buyo-buyo stuff was a total mistery for me until know, I thougt I'll never know of it.
    Ok, so it's Burroughs then (I agree it reads better).
    After, reading your answers I realise how blurry my memories are, cause I remember Ms.Mary chasing you but not Simon. I've played it a lot of times but long time ago since the last one, but maybe I didn't open his cage. I didn't do all the paths either, the game actually scared me and didn't have the will to afront Bobby without a good reason :p Maybe I swim to deep on game atmosphere, but this little pixelated gem it's one of the not many games wich make me nervous.

Oh, you got all the "must-to-have" from Argento and you been told right: his new stuff doesn't have the thing, and personally believe he didn't directed all scenes from the new movies. I only miss two films in your list: "4 flies over grey velvet" (in the line of Tenebre, minor film with interesting ingredients) and a co-work of him called "The Church/La Chiesa". I strongly recommend it, you may think it's the classic and boring "one character get mad and begin to kill others"
    but that's really not: it's a very obscure movie, with a breathtaking ending. There's a little Asia Argento playing a major role too, and guess what's her character name? Lotte.

Thanks for all, specially the "omake" render tip! End of the interview :)

2. Lamont

Lamont Site Supporter 2015

Ah, Simon will chase you if you try to get out of the cage/cell without giving him food first and as soon as he touches you, he'll lunge and it's a Dead End.

As for La Chiesa/The Church/The Cathedral of Demons as it was also released as in some places, I haven't got a copy of it as a few of the DVD copies I've seen have been cut or censored in some way (which is not what I want when I'm putting together footage for a complete piece regarding inspiration for the series!) and I've been waiting to see if Arrow Films & Video will do a region free, uncensored release like they have for a decent chunk of Argento's other films.

If you know of any specific releases of it on DVD being uncensored, I will look into getting a copy regardless of the region of the disc.

As for everything else, no worries. I wasn't joking when I said I should be able to answer any questions regarding the series to the best of my capabilities. ^^;

3. Lamont

Got a couple of new doujinshi from Comiket.

[​IMG]

Both by Koto No Hahen.

#7 Mad kjaerilighet Overture
    #8 Are We Criminals?

Out of the Koto No Hahen ones, I'm missing #4 Madness (was a Dan/Jennifer hentai one, I canceled my order when I found out) and #6 because Kanon/Koto No Hahen stuffed up the order somehow - which also resulted in my missing the Ghost Head collection book she was organizing that I've yet to see anything regarding - so I am going to assume that, that particular anthology book fell through.

Have also replaced my US copies of Clock Tower and Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within. Have also located the box where my Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within guidebook vanished off to (somehow, ended up with my Biohazard/Resident Evil mixed books box). Just need to replace my Clock Tower 2 PAL UK version for a copy a little less beat up.

Sadly no new items other than the pictured doujinshi.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. blixa

blixa Spirited Member

project scissors announced. spiritual sequel to clock tower. (didn't want to create a new thread.. lack of interest?)

http://www.nudemaker.jp/common/pdf/ProjectScissors_Press Release_English.pdf

working on the project are game designer hifumi kouno (clock tower director), creature/environment designer masahiro ito (art designer of silent hill) and takashi shimizu (directed the juon films).

[​IMG]

"The game’s setting is aboard a luxurious cruise liner in the middle of the ocean. As the ship sails across the deep blue ocean, a series of gruesome and mysterious murders begins to take place, including those of the ship’s crew. Soon the ocean liner is crippled and adrift at sea, and has become an inescapable trap for the passengers. As a passenger of the ship, the player will be tasked with solving the murder mystery to ensure their own survival as well as the rest of the ‘innocent’ passengers."

more info courtesy shidoshi.

Hifumi Kouno
    * Wanted to create another horror game that could bring evolution to the ideas in Clock Tower, such as running away and hiding.
    * Started thinking about the game five years ago.
    * Had to get a budget, because it's hard to sell horror games. Got advice to go the indies route.
    * Says Clock Tower 3 kind of changed things. Original CT focused on running away and hiding, but CT3 had a lot of other gameplay ideas. Thought this wasn't "Clock Tower".
    * However, if the only idea he had was "running away", he shouldn't make a new game.
    * Running and hiding is important, but there's another feature he's come up with that helps evolve the game.
    * Marketing team has little power over what the dev team can do, a benefit of going indie.
    * Will be "using the functions of mobile devices" to realize the running away and hiding aspect.
    * Could maybe do console versions if support + money ends up being there.

Takashi Shimizu
    * Kouno was in talks to work on Project Scissors, and wanted a film creator who knew J-horror.
    * Not familiar with games in general, so still trying to figure out how to support the project.
    * After hearing it was indie, got more interested. Decided to join the project as a supporting member.
    * Was shown the basics of the story and the world, and helped come up with ideas to expand them.
    * Asked before to help "cinematize" games, but wasn't interested. Here, could help expand the game's world.
    * Project Scissors feels like a return to his roots in movies such as Juon.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  5. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

^^ missed this gem.
    sorry for the late response, i've bookmarked the link, staring at the homepage now.
    really good work.
    spotted some images that jump out.
    much appreciated for this. :smile-new:

6. Lamont

Thanks, I actually already have had rough info on it for a while but Mr. Hifumi Kouno has been sitting on info for a while as he didn't want to talk about things and get fans' hopes up.

There was actually a real Clock Tower 3 in development from him before HUMAN went bankrupt and it got snapped up by Sunsoft which lead to the abysmal game that is called Clock Tower 3.

The man responsible for Pyramid Head's design - Masahiro Ito is also involved with the project, others will be announced via Nude Maker Inc.'s own press releases.

I have actually already hit Hifumi up for an interview after chatting with him in the past about things, so here's to hoping I can get some more info about the canceled original Clock Tower 3 out of him - it really depends as to whether or not he's reusing some of the ideas he wasn't able to use back in 1999 or not and as to how much of a spiritual sequel in general it will be to Clock Tower.

Either way, I will be covering this on Stalking Insanity as much as possible.

No worries mate. There will be more content on the site shortly as I suppose I have to update it now that there's actually a "live" title in the works - after waiting for further information for a few years!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  7. Lamont

In regard to the "unused" sound - poking around the files, it IS actually used. One is a lower quality recording, this one is used in-game but it's mixed in with the samples called by the game for the stalker/environment/panic songs which are all streamed in-engine.

Others are clearer and are supposed to be used during particular timers per stalker. Each enemy has a couple of different timers: 1. Gametime being idle which can also be added to by "making loud noises" such as slamming/kicking things or getting hit by Luminessants which then triggers the Stalker to appear X amount of rooms away but in Stage 1/2/3/4 each roughly being designated by the Stalker in that the roomfiles are reloaded as a stage despite being reused by a few of them.

There's the Search timer which goes into the hiding mode - this can be offset by having Hewie hide with you. After a set amount of time/idle things are chucked at you when it restarts the "Idle" timer to lead to spawning. Enemies will always respawn a set amount away from the player within rooms, they have set "escape" points too - like Debilitas will flee above his shack, Daniella tends to flee back towards a room where she's coded as a NPC, Riccardo will flee near his lab.

The first three have no spawn points in the Crypt. The last ones in Stage 4 have pre-set "respawn" points that are really just part of the animation set outside of the visible level.

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Anyway - the Daniella track IS used during Stage 2 when mixed into the Panic streamed track or if the characters stamina/panic gauges are too high additional samples are played along with visual cues as a warning to that. The only character voice as part of the Panic stream the entire game is essentially samples from the final character's initial form and that is due to it being included within the samples specifically for the song. Because of that, it's in the soundtrack version whereas the "Stalker/Stage variants" are not - but they have minor sampling in the OST version, it's not 100% the same as what's in-game.

The "Special Scenes" audio listed in the OST is CRI-ADX encoded with the cutscene audio, some of the cutscenes have slight variants (like Fiona sliding down the pile of rubble when trying to get the Broken Marionette) and other audio like "Hewie" or Liebestraum Notturno III/"Lunatic Piano" on the OST are all also CRI-ADX encoded.

There are some unused lines from the other stalkers that I've not heard played within any version or mode of the game. Some of the game's sound effects are shared with Devil May Cry and Clock Tower 3.

I'm just sorting through duplicates to check that I have everything from Clock Tower 3 as well. I found some interesting stuff in CT3, in that we already have unused items and the like in-game.... I actually found Ink Ribbons in the levels and dumped textures out for them too.

I DID have the CT3pack.dat file extracted out before - lost my last couple of months work and I can't recall how the hell I got it out other than removing data via a hex editor and that the dat file is essentially hiding the rest of the game's content. There's some streaming tracks in CT3 too but not all of the music is streamed as there's duplicates that are pre-recorded too in what appear to be relabeled Sony compressed ADPCM files. Which I wouldn't be surprised of given the pre-rendered cutscenes are listed in .MOV format but are actually MPEG-2 files.

Textures are coming up as .IMG format but can be dumped out via Texmod and fixed via Photoshop with a layer duplication, colour inversion (if the texture is showing up as blue) and having the layer set to luminosity OR color, all with alpha channels intact - super easy to make an action in PS to fix them. The same trick can be used on Demento's environment files which are in a .TEX format (are seemingly modified DDS DXT1-5 8 bit interpolated with or without alpha channels) but are compressed into .SDT room files.

Have been trying to disable subtitles from playing in Demento to get clean captures of the cutscenes, can't seem to NOP or get the TEX files modified without getting crashes upon reloading. Have been attempting to change them out via Texmod but it would seem that Demento loads the font table image repeatedly in-memory so having the in-game text blanked out left artifacts on the cutscene.... May have to do it all entirely manually per cutscene. We'll see how I go.

Anyway, regarding soundbanks - If I find that I do have all of CT3's soundbanks, then I'll essentially have all of the soundbanks for the games meaning it's just left to getting models/textures out into usable methods when stuff can be found properly outside of loaded memory.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense in my rambling, feeling exhausted but I can't sleep as my shoulder is killing me!

I also have some more items for my collection, just waiting for stuff to arrive to take some photos. >_<

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. Lamont

Well, one of my new items showed up. Still waiting on a couple of other items to arrive though but this one is pretty interesting in my opinion!

[​IMG]

A garage kit resin bust sculpt of Fiona Belli from Demento/Haunting Ground!

The bloke that made the initial sculpt has done some official sculpts for retailed sculptures and heads for figures for both Capcom and Atlus in the past so this particular garage kit may be considered as official given that he's also included copyright details for Capcom on the tag on the bag.

I'm not 100% sure on that but it seems fairly likely to me but it's hard to say as I'm not really familiar in regard to garage kits.

As for the Clock Tower 3 soundbanks, I've been able to pull them AND I fished out some more unreleased (but used in-game) music tracks and will release them as part of a major site update (wiki, cutscenes and other stuff up onto the site in one massive haul) over on my site. :)

9. Lamont

Recently obtained a couple of bootleg game copies. I'm in the process of packing stuff away that I had stored in some drawers and figured I'd take a photo of some of the collection stacked up with the last couple of new additions. Wish I had found some more new stuff as of late. :|

[​IMG]

BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  10. bubbleball

bubbleball Newly Registered

11. Lamont

I did back NightCry, so people needn't ask me about that one.

Another Demento e-Capcom glass has been obtained but other than that, nothing else of interest has popped up sadly.

I will likely poke through used bookstores in Akihabara again in another couple of days to see if I can miraculously dig up the old GFantasy issues with the Ghost Head manga in it. One can dream, I suppose.

12. Lamont

I forgot to post this but, DEMENTO is finally up as an "Archives" / PS2 Classic on the Japanese PSN but has yet to appear on any of the other regional versions as Haunting Ground. :/

So, there's that too.

And also perhaps two doujinshi that I'm waiting to see if the artist still has copies of.

Oh, and that second Demento glass came through in good condition!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  13. Lamont

Two new doujinshi by Koto No Hahen:

Clock Tower 20th Anniversary
    Clock Tower GHOST HEAD Anthology

No other new items of interest sadly.

Still waiting on Chaya to finish sorting out the DEMENTO/Haunting Ground 10th Anniversary doujinshi.

14. Lamont

Got a couple of new items, including a Demento promotional DVD that I'm just about to check out now.
    CTstuff.jpg

15. Deen

Deen Active Member

Oh shit, clock tower. I remember getting a Playstation magazine when I was really young (which was strange because my family was too poor to afford a Playstation or the magazine) and they had a review of the first one. Scared the hell out me, I couldn't sleep without a light on for weeks lol. Nice collection dude.

16. Lamont

Aha, well my Father had the original RE1 and at some stage I did wind up with Clock Tower (which is actually the sequel, just the first game wasn't released outside of Japan) but got back into it later on when DEMENTO/Haunting Ground came out.

Anyway, thank you very much - though I do wish that I had more unusual items in it.

Deen likes this.
  17. Lamont

Got the 20th Anniversary Clock Tower Sound Collection Limited Edition. I really like the vinyl's arrangements for Clock Tower and Clock Tower 2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also got the Demento 10th Anniversary doujinshi Prima Materia.
    [​IMG]

Also found a Weekly Shōnen Champion not for sale special feature issue on DEMENTO as well.

Had a seller screw me out of an item I was after, yet again.

Not really surprised, just a little annoyed on that front.

18. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

That's an excellent collection you've built up. I wasn't aware that so much Clock Tower related items existed.

Lamont likes this.
  19. Lamont

Unfortunately, I know that there's more but I've not been able to obtain everything to document and there's very little to no information on most things.

I'll be catching up with a few Japanese survival horror collectors soon so it would be nice if they knew or had anything else so I could at least do some general write-ups on things, but I know what I've got thus far really isn't that substantial in terms of collecting things.

20. pato

pato Resolute Member

Just bumping up, did you like NightCry?