Lamont's Clock Tower/Haunting Ground Collection (WiP)

Discussion in 'Member Game Collections' started by Lamont, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Lamont

Lamont Site Supporter 2015

Yup. Lost about a year and a half's work on stuff. Have been trying to catch up ever since.

Essentially there's more voice over lines to sift through as a lot of the music within the game was actually created by sampling and manipulating the voice over work. There's that and the lyrics for both the opening and ending songs of Demento are quite interesting. The opening a bit more-so than the ending song as the lyrics seem to related to Resident Evil more than they do to Demento whereas the ending song is relating to and is showing a flashback in it.

David Hayter - the more known voice of Snake within the Metal Gear Solid series? My husband collects MGS stuff. Resident Evil and Silent Hill we collect together. He's been the one buying the newer stuff, I've not really liked the series for quite some time now outside of enjoying ORC for what it was and Revelations but neither one is enough to redeem the series in my opinion. Been downhill after CVX for multiple reasons.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. Mrox2

Mrox2 Active Member

Intro Lyrics ? o.o
    I've seen the ending lyrics you published, but intro and resident evil related ? wat (I mean no doubt but this ... o.o)

And yes I recognize David Hayter of course, who wouldn't know him, I've been an MGS fan for few years know so I'd recognize him :D
    and I agree about the series going downhill, such a shame, I wish RE6 didnt exist, RE5 Could have been something much better too, what a shame.

3. Lamont

The coloured text is audio from the voice over. The white text is the actual vocals by the composer, Seiko Kobuchi.
    Endless Demento Lyrics (I have this set on private on my channel until I put together a better quality video on my site's YouTube account).

I've gone over the lyrics with Seiko herself, essentially with the "I need to live...." it also echos "need to leave" in the background due to how she layered the vocals she recorded separately. There's no doubt about the "I'm still... hu...man..." line. :)

But anyway, Hayter is in the area where we have our house in the US so my husband figured he'd give him a shout on Twitter (offer to buy him some drinks at a good bar nearby and maybe get something signed in person) but it rained so the event he was in town for got closed early. So, husband and his brother are going to try again tomorrow I believe.

Eh, Umbrella Chronicles really screws up something specific about Wesker. RE4 did too a bit but Darkside actually makes a correction to this and makes this in-line with him from RE1 through to CVX. Then the UC ending that sets up for RE5 really fucked up certain character traits among other things.

That and the whole thing going on in CV across multiple content forms in regards to Claire and Wesker also pisses me off for not going anywhere with that one. DX

4. Mrox2

Mrox2 Active Member

Interesting, "I'm still Hu...Man" clear reference to RE3.5 I would say.

I hope they succeed this time with Hayter.

as for UC, Indeed, Wtf, I'm mainly angry about the RE3 Scenario, wtf ? so lazy, they altered and fucked the scenario all just because they are lazy and prefered to use Outbreak maps, fucking ugly ! and don't get me started on Nemesis.
    Hell the RE1 Mansion Incident Scenario was basically shit too, Where is Barry ? oh and Wesker tells the Story, wat ? he tells it wrong then.

I just don't understand their strategy ...

5. Lamont

That's what I thought too. Seiko wouldn't comment on it outside of the lyrics are intentionally mysterious (and that she can't really talk about them) and that she had another one of the Capcom Sound Team members lend his voice for Endless Zero but that one tells a clear section of the story as a flashback as to what happened exactly between Ayla and Ugo that led to them fleeing the castle.

Haha, maybe Chris was right about Wesker going senile?

And Nemesis.... That certainly wasn't Nemmy. Hell, the dodgy looking one in GS2 was more Nemmy than that!

6. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

oh my god. nice collection man!

7. Lamont

Thank you, though my small and specific collection is nothing in comparison to some of the stuff other members have on here. >_<;

8. artillery_ghosted

artillery_ghosted Gutsy Member

Only 2 game protos? I have at least 3 SNES CDs made by Sony. Get out low tier scum.

<------ Has no game collection to speak of, and is joking.

9. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

^^ it's the passion that counts.
    the threads that pique my curiosity are the ones that GAFF about their collection, not swing dick screaming 'i've got the planets retail collection, just chuck the mona lisa in the boot and watch out for the CD changer'..
    though i know nothing of clocktower, can appreciate the focus and drive. :smile-new: (five stars MINIMUM!)
    [edit]
    sorry, HAUNTING GROUND! (i see your CT thread a lot, got it mixed up)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  10. Lamont

Haha, well one of them I only have digitally as my friend that beat me in the auction has it. Should he ever need to sell it, I'll likely keep reminding him that I'd probably double the initial price he paid as I feel guilty still about bidding him up so high on it. That said, the very least is that he was willing to document it properly (and dump it too) so I can't really complain.

The other one isn't much of a prototype, it's a localization build and there's nothing much that I've been able to pull from the files aside from a couple of songs and a few visual script stuff ups and had a general deal with the bloke that I purchased with that I wouldn't release the full build but should I pull anything decent, I will attempt my best to patch it into something like the Trial Edition or at the very least will release files from it.

Haha, well thank you. I just feel silly sometimes just updating the topic because there really isn't that much in regards to the series to collect but I do try. Would be nice if some more unusual stuff surfaced for the series more often though but, I suppose that could be said about anything really.

11. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

aye, need must!
    :smile-new:
    watching your progress on the asset extraction, interesting to say the least.
    keeping eyes peeled for an image that reaches out to me so i can ask permission for a copy, as an os wallpaper or avatar.
    i'll be honest, wouldn't know what i was doing if life depended on it, but it sure is great to observe.
    (the image with the blonde girl in four stages of damage, likey that already, looking forward to more...in due course!) :wink-new:

12. Lamont

Ah, well I already have a large chunk of the game extracted into usable formats. It's just the room files that are mainly giving me grief (as I would like to poke around the levels a little bit). There IS apparently a way to get the character models out in working order but I've yet to get them out myself.

If you liked that bit of concept art of Fiona, I actually have more on my site already. DEMENTO / Haunting Ground Gallery. Apologies if the banner or menu bar are coming up misaligned, for whatever reason the site isn't automatically scaling like it should be and I haven't been arsed to recode the pages.

Anyway.

I have reripped all of the Demento sound files and have begun resorting them. It would be great if some of the audio editing software I used took custom action/batch scripts instead of having to manually adjust the frequency and other things to repair the audio files. >_>;

On the plus side, I did just also rip a whole bunch of unused Biohazard/Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica music which I'll be releasing soon. :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  13. pato

pato Resolute Member

Has anyone ever managed to rip the Code Veronica Dreamcast models? I recall that there was a video which shows some unused items.

14. Lamont

We can get the textures out easily, I know where the models are but I believe the only ones of the CV Dreamcast models have been dumped out using 3D Ripper and then repaired. I don't recall there being any custom tools and I'm not familiar with the model format for the game in contrast to the texture format.

Unused items and other stuff can be hacked back into in-game usage by a few different means, just getting the models out into a usable format is a whole different story.

15. emuler

emuler Rapidly Rising Member

Ah, if just a model viewer for RE:CV like the psx ones came out... that would be perfect.
    I tried to edit textures from the ps2 format (very easy to extract), but gave out after being stuck at re-inserting them with GGS. Moreover, there is all the ZZT1 & 2 translation work so no CV modding for the moment.

@Lamont: Hi there. I got a couple of questions about CT-TFF development:
    1. In gallery section from stalkinginsanity.com there is two pieces of artwork that shows a shadowed character, one seems more like a child in a coat and the other silhouette is a tall man. Are they preliminar designs for Bobby or a completely different and unused character?

2. In case of being Bobby, I don't see the demonic look of final version or even the giant scissors doesn't appear...
    was ever planned in early stages to give Bobby a more human look? Like the deranged people from "giallos"... I mean, it's the final demon-child design a case of auto-censorship in the line of Silent Hill 1?
    Was the scissors the planned weapon from the beggining or do you know other tools wich Bobby could used for chasing us?

Ah, hardcore fan questions.

16. Lamont

The textures are extremely easy to get out. The models vary.

As for your questions mate:

1. The silhouette artworks are intended for Simon Burroughs - Mary's husband, Bobby and Dan's father. The first few pieces in the Clock Tower/The First Fear gallery are official concept art and the latter ones are by Yuki Kiyama for Official Artwork. Part of the difference between the height of the artwork for Simon is that Mary disguised herself as Simon and went to the Granite Orphanage but the girls (Jennifer, Laura, Ann and Lotte) didn't get a particularly good look at Mr. Burroughs so he remains a mystery for the most part and this is why the girls are discussing him (wondering what kind of person he is and so-on) at the start of the game.

2. Bobby originally looked closer to Frau Brückner's son Patua from Dario Argento's film Phenomena/Creepers as the film was a large source of inspiration for the game as Hifumi and many of the other staff are fans of Argento's earlier films. The first game was never localized outside of Japan and it may be due to a mixture of regional Nintendo departments specifically trying to maintain a "kid friendly" title selection in America and PAL territories OR that the general impression was that a horror video game wouldn't be popular outside of Japan.

Biohazard/Resident Evil was released and essentially Clock Tower and Biohazard were considered to be the two heavy-hitters of survival horror until interest surged in Silent Hill once released in America and PAL territories and eventually HUMAN went and filed for bankruptcy mid-1999.

Bobby looking deformed is also bit of a warning on the factor of the matter is that he isn't the "true" Scissorman/demonic entity. Dan is and is the one to be truly feared.

3. Regarding the scissors, these were planned from the beginning as a particular horror film scared Hifumi and left quite a mark on him. In a few of the official guidebooks, they actually list a few various sources of inspiration for their games. :)

Some of these include Argento's Suspiria, Phenomena/Creepers and a large list of other giallo films as well as various folklore, Japanese and other asian horror films, novels and occasionally comics. Argento's influence is quite noticeable in the first title with Jennifer's design, the infamous rose glass fall from Suspiria replicated within the game among other things.

HUMAN Entertainment also had advertising put in front of the "Phenomena Integral Hard Full Edition" VHS for Clock Tower 2 prior to the movie with a comment in the advertising essentially saying that this film inspired the (at the time) popular Clock Tower series. I have yet to find or confirm other subtitled Argento films at the time containing further HUMAN Entertainment advertisements.

Dan was supposed to have additional methods of attack (as we saw with floating objects in Clock Tower 2) but it was supposed to be expanded on. I can't say much more about additional weapons or abilities that may have been covered in Clock Tower 3 as I am still waiting on Hifumi's response.

17. pato

pato Resolute Member

What is that Diary on the CT TFF artwork in your site? Walter Simpson log?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  18. Lamont

It's Walter's Diary, he took a few pages out of it and hid them as he left his final letter. The desk looks like Jennifer's in Clock Tower 2 so it would make sense as she also keeps one, perhaps even the same one as her father.

19. emuler

emuler Rapidly Rising Member

Burroughs or Barrows? Anyway, I like a lot the official design at your site, do you think the shirt color seem a little inspired on Freddy Krueger ones?
    Maybe Human considered to have Simon chasing you as well, but was too much for 1995... imagine a game depicting a little girl being chased by an adult for obscure purposes by that time. This kind of "monster", like the orphanage director from Rule of Rose makes the scissorman a puppy in comparison.

Uff, that kid its horrible even for today. I saw this movie for first time back on mid-90's more or less with 10 years and now than I'm older still freak out a little when you actually see him running at the end, when Jennifer try scaping by boat.
    Anyway, I prefer the final "old child" design for scissorman.

Glad to hear that, because the scissors are the great leit-motiv for me. I asked this due to the giallo influence, and thought "maybe they intended to put one of those maniacs with a knife and black gloves".
    The movie you referring may be "The Burning"... how can this scare Mr. Hifumi? I mean, Phenomena aged well and Suspiria it's simply one of the most perfect horror movies of all times but this one is too naive and crappy even for the 80's.
    I recently re-watched both Phenomena and Suspiria, plus other giallo movies and found a lot of CT influences. Some of them seems to be not pointed on any site, like you can see another "Bobby" (but human this time) at Suspiria, or even the resemblance between Simon and the prisoner detective from Phenomena.

Thanks for all the detailed info. Can't wait for the CT3 Human build info and (I pray) pics.
    If you don't mind, I'll leave two more question here for you to answer when have the time to, oh Clock Tower mastermind.

*Just were taking a look at my CT-TFF iso backup with jpsxdec and found "LIKE55.wav". Is this just a dummy file or something else?

*And for the second game, I have a Superjuegos guidebook wich states, more or less:"after finish the game with all endings you unlock
    and extra option wich enable you to play the game with some differences...he,he".
    I'm sure they aren't talking about the ??? option. I found they copied this guide from a Famitsu one, just translating word by word.
    Maybe it's something removed from USA and PAL version?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  20. Lamont

Their actual family name is "Burroughs". This is also made quite clear with the pronounciation used within Clock Tower 2 as the Katakana can be read either way, I actually know some of the voice actors from the sequel (a few were also involved in Biohazard/Resident Evil, Tekken and other stuff!) and have actually run some audio by them to confirm a couple of lines of voice over work from them.

1. Because of a minor misunderstanding in the original Japanese recording for Clock Tower 2, one of the voice actors (the voice of Nolan) accidentally said "Ballough" during the Japanese opening cutscene. This is corrected by the voice actress for Helen and the others emphasizing the "rough" sound at the end of the word instead of the "ro-hw" sound that would've been made.

The English localization build I have of Clock Tower 2 is filled with spelling and grammar mistakes so I'm not particularly surprised as to how that one happened but the name was correctly used within Clock Tower 3 at the very least.

2. The shirt isn't striped, Simon is actually wearing a brown suit with a black turtleneck. What you're seeing is the shadow effect shading by Yuki Kiyama's trademark art style.

3. No, Mary also chases Jennifer and Simon can also chase and kill Jennifer. In the complete version there is also the mummy/zombie that can also do the same. Clock Tower 2 included adults disguised as Scissorman chasing Jennifer too so HUMAN didn't shy away from it and actually had this included prior to Rule of Rose. GHOST HEAD/The Struggle Within and Clock Tower 3 also did the same. DEMENTO is entirely intentional to make the player feel uncomfortable as well.

There are multiple "monsters" along the lines of the Orphanage Director within the Clock Tower series, for instance Harris is along those lines as well despite his small build.

4. It wasn't just "The Burning" but there's Japanese myths that also involve scissors/shears among other things so it's a multitude of inspiration for him. Mary is essentially the giallo type villain along the lines of what we saw go down within multiple Argento films. As for the "human" Bobby, that's Pavlo if I'm recalling his name correctly. Albert is essentially the equal to Dan with him in Suspiria.

I actually have multiple copies of Argento's films and have been picking up copies from the list which I don't currently have on hand as I can't find my portable hard-drive.

Off the top of my head, Argento's films alone I have copies of:

• The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
    • The Cat o' Nine Tails
    • Profondo Rosso/Deep Red/The Hatchet Murders
    • Suspiria
    • Inferno
    • Tenebre
    • Phenomena/Creepers
    • Opera
    • Trauma
    • Phantom of the Opera
    • The Stendhal Syndrome
    • Sleepless

I haven't seen most of his newer stuff like Mother of Tears as I heard it was awful. I also have a copy of some copies of films he wrote but didn't direct and stuff like Masters of Horror DVDs and other interview/documentary/biopic stuff regarding Argento.

.... I actually have a lot of horror films now that I think about it. >_>; Anway! I will be including an in-depth piece regarding sources of inspiration, such as Laura's most common death being inspired by a scene in Profondo Rosso/Deep Red/The Hatchet Murders. This also extends to music and some other things like dialogue/script used within the game to other references.

5. It's a file accidentally left in the game, one of the staff was likely mucking around. I recall asking Hifumi about it a while back and he couldn't remember how it ended up in the game anyway outside of it being an accident as if they left bonus files in the game (Clock Tower 2 Japanese version) it would actually be said so within the game's manual. There's an "Omake" folder in the Japanese version with a wallpaper of Jennifer of the render used of her within the game. :)

I don't know which one composed it but it WAS made by the staff involved within Clock Tower but was never intended to be included or released. Likely it was a test track for one of their other games in development at the time or came from the HUMAN School.

6. This would be the "Buyo-Buyo Mode" which changes characters sizes and the like somewhat at random and includes some joke Kanji characters on them among other slight colour changes on their textures. There's also some colour filtering and other crap going on with an overlay on the screen. It's bit of a joke mode but it wasn't included in the other versions of the game if I am remembering correctly. I have yet to check the CT2 US Prototype to see as to whether or not it contains Buyo-Buyo Mode.