la-li-lu-le-lo's Nintendo 64 Collection

Discussion in 'Member Game Collections' started by la-li-lu-le-lo, Apr 29, 2014.

1. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Hi, so it’s been a while since I’ve done a collection thread. In the past, I’ve done threads showing an overview of my entire collection. This time, I thought I’d do something different and focus on one console: the Nintendo 64. I’ve been meaning to do this for a while, and I’m stuck in my apartment on a stormy day, so I thought now is as good a time as any.

[​IMG]

First of all, here are my 2 N64 consoles. They look identical from the outside (except for the dust), but they’re in fact different models. The one on the left is an NUS-CPU-04 model, which has been RGB modded. The RGB mod really makes a big difference in image quality. It also has the cartridge tabs cut, so it can play both NTSC-U and NTSC-J games. The one on the right is, I believe, either an NUS-CPU-05 or 08 model. I can’t be sure as I haven’t opened it (as I have with the 04 model), so I can only go by the serial number.

[​IMG]

Here are my games. There are 40 of them pictured here, although there’s one missing - an NTSC-U copy of Wave Race 64 (you can see 3 other copies in this photo). I’m not sure where it is. I tried to organize them in a somewhat logical way. There are a lot of great games in there, as well as some not so great ones. Some of these games I played once or twice as a kid, so I ended buying them mainly for nostalgia's sake. Some of them, in retrospect, aren't as great as I'd remembered. I’m pretty happy with this collection, although there are a few more games I’d like to buy.

[​IMG]

Here’s my one and only boxed N64 game. Sad, I know. :( I don’t really collect boxed cart-based games, mainly because they just don’t seem worth the extra price. Also, unlike disc-based games, carts don’t need to be kept in a case in order to remain functional. So… eh. This game is an original NTSC-J copy of Wave Race 64.

[​IMG]

Here are all of my different “paks”, or whatever you want to call them. From left to right: Expansion Pak, Jumper Pak (x 2), Controller Pak, and Rumble Pak (x 3). These things are easy to collect because they’re very cheap, except for the Expansion Pak - but I got a good deal on that one as well.

[​IMG]

And finally, here are my controllers. The one on the left is a Hori Minipad 64. If you’re not familiar with this controller, it’s basically a smaller N64 controller with a much better, Gamecube-style analog stick. It makes a big difference in overall playablity, and it makes almost any game much more enjoyable. The other 2 are, obviously, official N64 controllers.

Well, I hope you enjoyed looking at my collection. This collection is nearing its completion, I think. I really want a 64DD, but it might be a while before that happens. I’m willing to answer any questions you might have. Sorry for the somewhat blurry pictures - the lighting in my room isn’t great, which makes it hard to focus. Happy N64ing!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

Surprised at how you have no boxes for your games. Did you buy them loose, did the boxes start to degrade over time so you tossed em, or did you just toss the boxes as soon as you got the game? (I knew a lot of people who would throw the box away when it was brand new, as if it was a burger wrapper).

Amazingly enough, I have very few boxed SNES games, but a seemingly large amount of boxed N64 titles.

At least you got most of the great 64 classics. Did you grow up owning a N64 or did you gather all of this at a later period?

3. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

haha, good stuff! :friendly_wink:
    i feel my n64 is totally undeserved....
    i got it for the sole purpose of the everdrive, no regrets!
    (sigil has it covered)
    what's strange, finding all but the official 265k mc (cell backed) and vibration card is relatively easy! (never even seen an official pair IRL)
    got one default pad (like one of yours) with a 1m cr2302 cell backed save mc, unofficial! (ram)
    another pad matches my console, equipped with a four-bank 256k dip-switch cell backed save mc (ram)
    the next is a solid red pad with a matching coloured mc, like the ones above (minus the cell assist) but a single toggle-button to cycle through the four pages.
    lastly, a transparent blue pad with a solid blue save mc, 256k eeprom/nvram!
    NOT one vibration card to my name (sadly) and none of the mc's are official, the pads are!
    only seven retail PAL-EUR games to my stack, one boxed/complete zelda ocarina of time, the rest...loose! (none remarkable titles)
    i LOVE krikzz's work!
    keep at the catalogue, good thread!

4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I bought them all loose, except for the one boxed game pictured above.

It's kind of a funny story. I actually did own an N64 as a kid, but only briefly. My dad bought it for me - not as a birthday or Christmas present or anything, he just decided to buy it for some reason. We got the console and Star Fox 64, which came with the rumble pak. I had it for a while, and I played Star Fox 64 a lot, and I rented a bunch of games - I played a shit ton of Wave Race 64 that way. And then, after a while not many good games were coming out, so my dad convinced me to take it back or sell it or something. So that was the end of it. I still ended up playing N64 games a lot after that, because a lot of my friends had them. But I didn't get another one of my own until around 2006-2007. All of the stuff you see here was purchased after that. This is in contrast to my Genesis collection, where in fact I still own all of the same copies I owned as a kid, except for a couple that I've sold.

I only bought that Controller Pak because it was really cheap. I had the idea of using it for Hybrid Heaven, but so far I haven't attempted it. I don't think many games actually used it, since most games stored the saves on the cartridge itself. I guess some games gave you the option of saving either on the cart or the controller pak. I've never actually used it.

5. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

^^ aye, it works both ways!
    couldn't find a way to copy the save to and from the cartridge, but loading up last progress (from the cartridge) then targeting save at a pad mc works a treat! :friendly_wink: (could be wrong but i believe all n64 konami games offer targeted saves?)
    may this list prove useful! (if at least to justify that mc, you'll end up needing it at some point)

6. RMetha

RMetha Rising Member

This has to be the coolest N64 collection I have ever seen!!!!!!

7. RMetha

RMetha Rising Member

I saw you have the other two Rush games, get 2049 too!!!! That one is the best!!!!!

8. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I thought about that, but if I was going to get that game, I think it'd be better to get the Dreamcast version. That version is probably closer to the arcade. In the case of the first 2 games, there are no other options except for the Playstation version, which is undoubtably worse than the N64 version.

It's too bad the Alcatraz Edition never had an N64 port. One of my best friends growing up had a poster for the N64 version of San Francisco Rush The Rock, and I think it even had a release date on it. The game must have been close to finished, but apparently it was never released. It would be cool if it found its way onto the internet somehow.

9. lolzvid

lolzvid Peppy Member

Nice collection! I've got only 5 games, but I have a limited edition Atomic Purple controller (brazilian w/ Gradiente serial number), that is a little bit hard to find by here.
    Sadly, I don't have a single accessory. :(

10. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Nice collection but suprised you don't have Banjo Kazzoie's and Paper Mario

11. xboxsegafan187

xboxsegafan187 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Nice Hori pad had that thing back in the day and you are correct in that the analog stick was better than the OEM sticks. :)

12. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I might like to get Banjo Kazooie at some point. I don't see it for sale very often, though. I'm not particularly interested in Paper Mario.

Besides Banjo Kazooie, the only other games I still want are: Sin and Punishment, Kirby 64, and Zelda: Majora's Mask. There are a few others I might consider buying, but they're not necessary.

Also, I just picked up a 4th rumble pak. So now, if I buy one more controller, I can do 4-player games with rumble paks for everyone!

Last edited: May 16, 2014