la-li-lu-le-lo's Collection and Setup Thread

Discussion in 'Member Game Collections' started by la-li-lu-le-lo, Feb 20, 2013.

1. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Hi, so some of you may have wondered (maybe, I can't read your thoughts) why I haven't posted a collection thread in a few years. The reason is because, until just recently, my collection was spread across 2 locations. Now I finally have most of it together. So I took some pictures of my setup and collection. Except where noted, everything is NTSC-U. Due to the way the forum scales images, some of the pictures look really long. There's nothing I can do about that.

[​IMG]

First we have a shot of my dual-monitor retro gaming setup. On the left is my LaCie 22 Electron IV Blue PC monitor. I use it for Dreamcast and occasionally Gamecube and Wii games. Basically 480p stuff. The Sony PVM-20M2MDU to the right is for 240p and 480i stuff, so most retro consoles.

Underneath the two monitors there's my Dreamcast on the left and my Wii to the right. Underneath that, you can see my arcade supergun - more on that later. To the right of the monitors you can see my Genesis, my Saturn (NTSC-J), my SNES (Jr.), and my N64 (RGB-modded). All of these consoles use RGB (or RGBHV) except for the Wii, which uses component.

[​IMG]

Here's another shot of my 2 monitors.

[​IMG]

Here are all my other consoles that aren't currently connected to anything. I have a few more at home, but these are most of them. From left to right, top to bottom, they are: Saturn, Genesis (2) with 32X, Gamecube with Game Boy Player, PS2, Dreamcast, Super Famicom, Victor Wondermega, Sega CD (1), and of course, who could forget the PlayStation 64. :p

[​IMG]

Here's my collection shelf (for lack of a better term). I just bought the shelf the other day and assembled it myself. I had to attach it to a stud in the wall because it was leaning slightly, but it's very stable now and it looks great. These are all of my boxed games - I estimate there's somewhere around 233 of them. I have a bunch of loose carts too, but I'll get to that later.

The problem I now face is that this thing is almost completely full. I knew that was possible, but I was still a little surprised. So if I plan to buy any new games in the future, I'll probably need another shelf.

[​IMG]

Here's a downscaled version of my shelf, so you can see the whole thing.

[​IMG]

Here's a closeup of my Gamecube games.

[​IMG]

Wii games

[​IMG]

Wii games (continued) and Game Boy Player disc

[​IMG]

Dreamcast games (NTSC-U, NTSC-J, and PAL)

[​IMG]

PlayStation games

[​IMG]

PlayStation games (cont.)

[​IMG]

Saturn games (NTSC-U and NTSC-J) and one Genesis game

[​IMG]

Genesis games

[​IMG]

(Original) Xbox games

[​IMG]

PS3 games

[​IMG]

360 games

[​IMG]

360 games (cont.)

[​IMG]

PS2 games (NTSC-U and NTSC-J)

[​IMG]

Here I have all of my carts - Genesis, Mega Drive, N64, SNES, Super Famicom, and 32X carts. I think there's about 89 of them. Most of them are loose, although as you saw earlier, I have a few Genesis and 32X boxes. As you can see, they're all just lying in these 2 cardboard boxes, in a disorganized fashion. Far from ideal - I've been looking for a better solution, but haven't found anything yet. Anyway, at the moment it does its job.

[​IMG]

I have a ton of controllers - way too many to show here, but I thought I'd share just a few of my favorite ones. The 2 guns on the left are the Virtua Gun (black, Saturn) and the GunCon 2 (orange, PS2). To the right you can see my Japanese Saturn pad, my Horipad Mini 64 (or whatever you want to call it) and my Wavebird. These are some of the more obscure controllers I own, though the Saturn controller is pretty common - I just like it a lot. These are all great controllers.

Now I'll move on to my arcade stuff.

[​IMG]

Here's my Virtua Fighter 3 (Sega Model 3) motherboard. It's the complete system - CPU board, Video board, and ROM board. I've been wanting one of these ever since I saw one in the arcade in '96-97. They're not easy (or cheap) to come by in the US. The power supply to the right is a Sanwa JVS PSU (also not easy or cheap to come by). It was designed for JVS-compatible systems like the Naomi, but it's compatible with the Sega Model 3 as well. I just had to rewire it.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to work yet. When I boot up the system, I get sound, but a black screen. I can tell from the sound that the game is running normally, so I know it's getting power. But the screen is black - well, almost black. If you look really hard, you can just barely make out the words "PRESS START BUTTON". So, needless to say, this is a bit of a disappointment to me. But I haven't given up on it yet.

[​IMG]

Here's my arcade supergun, with a MVS inside. It has a Vogatek supergun connected to it, which has 2 Genesis ports and a SCART video output, which goes to my PVM. The PSU and the fan are built into the box. The MVS can be easily removed and replaced with other boards.

[​IMG]

Here's my measly MVS collection. For those of you who can't read badly torn Japanese, the top one is Metal Slug. (
    メタルスラッグ)

[​IMG]

Here's my ST-V board with Die Hard Arcade. Quite an interesting system, and it seems the RGB video quality is slightly better than a Saturn, although the two are identical in almost every other way (and the cartridges, of course).

Well, that's all I'm going to show you guys today. The systems I haven't shown are the Xbox, NES, PC Engine, and 2 additional PS1s. I also have a few NES games that I didn't show.

So I hope you enjoyed my pictures and commentary. Please let me know what you think of it all.

:p

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that I also have a gaming PC, a PS3, and a 360. I didn't include them because I wanted to focus on retro consoles.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Shuji, Star and kylethedude like this.
  2. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Lovely stuff! My collection is very similar in size and content. I wish I had room to display it all. So much is under stacks of boxes in the corner of storage. Makes me sad.

Thanks for sharing!

3. Semaphore

Semaphore Active Member

Great collection, is the mini Gamecube under the monitor in the first pic a gashapon model?

4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Thanks! Yep, it's a gashapon. I bought it from Yakumo, actually.

5. LukeLexeme

LukeLexeme <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Can i buy sutte hakkun off you???
    and god damn nice collection.
    im curious as to why everybody uses Sony PVM-20M2MDU tv's, is the picture quality really that good??????

6. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Thank you. Nope, Sutte Hakkun is not for sale. It's a great game though, definitely worth picking up if you can find one for a good price. And yes, the PVM really is pretty amazing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  7. LukeLexeme

what makes the Pvm so good? Is it wirht having such a small screen ??

8. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

Lovely collection! Dual monitors is the way to go. ;)

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

2 things: first, it has RGB inputs. I'm not going to go into depth as to why that's important, but basically it's the best way to play older consoles. Secondly, it has really good picture quality, far better than the average TV at the time it was manufactured, and better even (in my opinion) than most arcade monitors. These were designed to be used in professional video settings, which require very high video quality. This particular monitor is a medical monitor, but it was developed along the same lines of those used for video editing, broadcast video monitoring, etc. As for the size, it's small compared to the average HDTV, but not too small (20"). I usually sit pretty close to it, so it suits my purposes fine. I think it's worth it, yes.

10. LukeLexeme

Hmm, well almost crts support rgb here in the UK, but as for quality, ive heard its phenomenal, it looks great but im better off getting a jvc i'art or something

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Right, well in the US PVMs are about the only option available for RGB on a CRT. To sum that up: USPVMRGBCRT. Bam.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  12. LukeLexeme

hah, the us get 60hz, and we get rgb.
    even stevens i guess eh lalilulelo

loving the mgs username btw, recently finished mgs3snake eater it was video gaming perfection, i dont see why people were bitching about the camera.

13. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I guess, but now I get the best of both worlds! Weeeeeeeeee!!

14. sonik

sonik Site Supporter 2013

For a moment I was like:
    Wow! Those monitors are huge! Look at the size of the gamecube... Seriously! =)

[​IMG]

15. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

When I saw the GC gashapon at first i was like "whoa, that's a perception camera trick !"

I really like the look of the ST-V

16. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

For some reason people are visually drawn to the mini-Gamecube. It's strange, considering how tiny it is. What's cool is that my real GC is black too, so they match perfectly (as long as the GB Player isn't attached). I used to have them sitting next to each other, and it was like the mother and its baby.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  17. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Hello all, I thought I'd share a couple things since I haven't posted anything on here for a while.

First, here's a boxed Japanese copy of Wave Race 64. I've had my eye on this for a while. I'm a bit upset over the fact that it's not in quite as good shape as the seller implied, but whatever. It's still cool to have.

[​IMG]

Here are all of my Wave Race 64 copies together. The top 2 are both American copies. The one on the bottom-left is the Japanese rumble support version, and the one on the bottom-right is the standard Japanese version. They were all very cheap, so not a hard collection to build.

[​IMG]

18. dino999

dino999 Rising Member

A good solution for your loose carts: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10015491&N=&Nao=100&Ntt=drawer

You can get plastic, stackable drawers that have wheels at the base for easy access and mobility. There are a lot of ones that are clear. The benefits are that you can see which carts are in the drawers without opening them as well as keeping the carts dust-free. Open shelving can be such a pain.

19. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Yeah, I've seen those, and I've considered getting one. Unfortunately, I don't have enough space for one where I'm living right now. Hopefully I'll move into a bigger place in the near future, and perhaps then I'll get a shelf like the one you mentioned.

On a side note, my setup is completely different now than it was in the original post I made. In some ways it's better, and in others it's worse. I'll probably post some more pictures soon.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  20. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I recently moved, and so my setup has completely changed. Here are some pictures.

As you can see, I now have a ton of stuff crammed into a small space. On the left you can see my gaming PC. Above is my 47" LED-backlit LCD TV. Next to the TV are PSB Alpha B1 loudspeakers, which are connected to a Marantz PM5004 integrated amplifier below. All of my consoles now go through the Marantz amp. As before, I still have the two monitors together. Now I have my Wii connected to the LaCie monitor via VGA.

[​IMG]

Here's my new shelf, which fits more consoles than I was able to store before. I finally have room for my Wondermega!

[​IMG]

Finally, here's my new shelf for storing games. I was using it as a bookshelf before. It fits a lot more games than my previous shelf, and I think it looks better too. It looks full now, but really a lot of the games there can be removed when I need more space - they're just there to keep the other games from falling over.

[​IMG]