Konami title so rare you've probably never even heard of it

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Yakumo, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Yep, that's right. Below you can see two Konami Famicom Educational games made in collaboration with the Japanese National TV network, NHK. These titles are mathematics titles aimed at 5th and 6th grade elementary school students.
    They come on a very odd looking cartridge that need an adapter to even fit inside the Famicom. Why on earth Konami did this is a mystery. Especially considering there are only 4 titles that use this system.
    It just so happens that there are two Auctions on Yahoo right now :) link to the Yahoo thread - http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/yahoo-japan-links-images-etc-part-ii.9472/page-114#post-830921

小学校の算数6年生下 SPACE SCHOOL
    [​IMG]

小学校の算数6年生上 SPACE SCHOOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    EETFUK and DSwizzy145 like this.
  2. Kyoto

Kyoto Active Member

Are you sure this isn't more 'overlooked' than it is rare? News to me!

3. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

The Konami Q Adaptor was also used for a 5th title, Space College, which is by far the rarest of the bunch. The others are also rare, but surely any serious Famicom collector knows them. There's a nice article about the Q Adaptor titles over on famicomworld with more info.

4. Kaicer

Kaicer Site Supporter 2014

I have read about this but never see one in an auction.

5. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Konami is Konami :D

Still, thanks for sharing this. Never heard of those before.

6. Yakumo

From what I've read on Japanese blogs there are two space school titles and two space college titles making 4 in total. The blogs could be wrong but they all seem to say the same thing.

7. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

The case kinda looks like that of a MSX2 game

8. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Space College is a single title, while the Gakuen school years have Joukan and Gekan each. There are Joukan/Gekan titles for the years 4, 5 and 6; so 7 games in total (correcting myself).

Here's a photo I found of year 4:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures last time I was in Mandarake Galaxy. They have a complete or almost complete collection of the NHK Gakuen-series, including the uber-rare Space College.

9. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

I am betting there is a special famicom these fit into.

10. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

What's the whole point in needing an adapter? Konami seemed dumb then, but they've surely gotten worse over time.

11. Yakumo

No, they fit in to a strange adapter that plugs in to the Famicom. You can see a picture of it on the image above posted by Ave. It's on the front of the box.

12. Denryu

Denryu マスコット

Being so weird, was this released as an unlicensed title or something?

13. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Nope, it was licensed but apparently only sold to schools for educational purposes, similar to the PC-Engine Kids Station titles but less rare except for Space College. The adaptor does not seem to serve any exclusive functions such as network or RAM, so I'm not sure why it was necessary. Maybe so kids don't think they could play regular Famicom games at school? hehe. ^^

Some better pictures of the Q adaptor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Gamesquest1

Gamesquest1 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

probably, and maybe so kids didnt get the urge to steal the super educational games to play at home :rolleyes: (unless they took the adapter too)

15. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Only thing I can think of for adapter is some kind of hardware function to save costs but if all is inside is a conversion board then I am stumped. Unless this design was done so only educational titles were used with it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  16. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps it has a mapper we haven't seen yet.

17. Yakumo

Could be. Interesting idea.

18. Gaijira

Gaijira High Grade Multipurpose Use

Or maybe so parents were scared off from buying a strange cartridge for their child's Famicom, I'm sure there are a lot of recipients of Mario is Missing who would have wanted that "feature".

19. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

I realise this is a little off-topic, but speaking of rare Konami games, I'd give anything to go back in time and see if my mother could negotiate for me to acquire a certain test machine they had at where she used to work in the mid-to-late 1990s... At one point, I was visiting her almost daily with my friends just to spend a small fortune on the deluxe cabinet provisionally entitled Polygon Fighter 573, which I learned from magazines was a prototype for what became Fighting Bujutsu. To this day, I've yet to find a fully-working emulator for this game, and graphically it was perhaps the closest thing to Virtua Fighter 3, far surpassing Tekken 3 in my opinion. If I was to look hard enough, I'd probably be able to dig out my old notepad full of commands we all figured out for this together, as I filed it away once they replaced this for an early version of Racing Jam that was advertised as running on the same Cobra board - I remember this not lasting a fraction as long because the steering deteriorated to the point where it needed calibrating on an almost daily basis, likely costing more to maintain that it was surely making from players!

20. jhonny_d

jhonny_d Spirited Member

great info right there, thanks
    I would be really interested in finding out more about the release history of these titles